Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:30:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: payment received before Synch completed but HD not big enough for 122gig data  (Read 366 times)
rytp (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 03:44:21 PM

Undecided

i downloaded bitcoin core, someone sent me bitcoin before it synced, my macbook air, the program filled up my hard drive , and due to some of the important documents on the HD i removed the bitcoin program to protect the space. is there arnyway for the sender to reclaim the bitcoin? I have the bit coin address and the scan I sent him but no longer have the program, is there any way to fix this, i attempted data recovery but didn't get the files i needed.

this whole transaction happened within 10min of downloading bitcoin core.

let me know what i can do if anything.

r
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 03:48:19 PM

Do you have the wallet.dat?

Probably is here:
~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/wallet.dat

If so you would have the private keys.
Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2017, 03:49:01 PM

If you are using bitcoin core before we had seeds enabled, you can dump your private key and import them into a wallet like electrum, no blockchain download needed. If using a seed, you should be able to use the seed and recover your wallet inside electrum too. Your wallet file should still be somewhere on your mac at ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/. As long as you have the wallet file / any passwords if it is encrypted. Or even better if you are using a seed for your wallet, all you need is the seed to recover your wallet along with any bitcoins it holds.

rytp (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 04:05:59 PM

hey no i don't have the wallet dat. i wiped that portion of i removed bitcoin from the application support section. i am seeing all this stuff now and wished i hadn't, i don't have the private key info.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 04:28:16 PM

hey no i don't have the wallet dat. i wiped that portion of i removed bitcoin from the application support section. i am seeing all this stuff now and wished i hadn't, i don't have the private key info.

And you emptied that trash?  If so, can you try a file recovery tool?  E.g. DiskWarrior?   If you wish to try to scan the drive, you would want to stop using the computer now so as to avoid writing more information to the disk (hdd or ssd) so as to avoid potentially writing over that file. 

That is the main option right now.

I am curious what "scan" you sent him?  Was it a QR code of the public key?  If so, that won't do any good.
rytp (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 06:04:49 PM

the scan cam up when i sent him the i think URI code and bition address, i tried a file recovery but apparently i was thorough, is there anything he can do on his end?

cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:30:47 PM

the scan cam up when i sent him the i think URI code and bition address, i tried a file recovery but apparently i was thorough, is there anything he can do on his end?

Nothing that I can think of on his end. Without the private keys the coins are lost.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:43:47 PM

You could try using Pywallet to scan the hard drive for the raw bytes containing deleted private keys, but you would need to using your hard drive immediately to use it. If you overwrote your private keys then Pywallet won't work, but if you only deleted them they might still be on the hard drive.

If you password protected your wallet, then Pywallet won't work unless you can recover your whole wallet file intact. It can only scan a hard drive for private keys if the wallet wasn't password protected. It also requires some technical skill to use.

This is its thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: