Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:08:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do wallets work? -- help the newbie with a multiple backups of diff. wallets  (Read 2875 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:20:43 PM

When you load up the backups of different wallets, I recommend running bitcoin with the -rescan option. This will tell bitcoin to ignore how much the wallet "remembers" having and recheck how much it actually has. This way, you don't even have to worry about any of the issues you bring up.

To use the rescan option in windows, alter the shortcut to have -rescan at the end, or open up the command prompt and run the .exe with -rescan at the end.

The problem with the person you mention has nothing to do with the fact that the the coin "had no where to come back to". What happened is that he added a new address to his wallet, and sent the money to that new address. But he didn't back up a file that contained that new key and deleted the new wallet. So he lost the key forever. As long as you send the money to an address you know you have control of, and DO NOT DELETE ANY WALLETS, you should not have a problem consolidating your funds.

Here is what he did:

Made a wallet with one address
Backed up that wallet
Added a new address to the wallet on his hard drive
Sent all the money to that new address
Deleted that wallet on his hard drive
Loaded up his backup that only had the key for the first address not the new address

The main mistake was deleting the wallet. Don't delete any of them, that is the only way to mess up.

EDIT: This wasn't completely his fault, since wallets are suppose to create 100 addresses for you to use, so the second address should have been in the backup, but there was a bug. Still, it would have never have happened if he didn't delete the wallet.

so how do you organize all these extra wallets?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:25:59 PM

EDIT: This wasn't completely his fault, since wallets are suppose to create 100 addresses for you to use, so the second address should have been in the backup, but there was a bug.

I'd just like to clarify this: There was NOT a bug. This happened before the 100 address pool code was added to the standard bitcoin software.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:41:17 PM

EDIT: This wasn't completely his fault, since wallets are suppose to create 100 addresses for you to use, so the second address should have been in the backup, but there was a bug.

I'd just like to clarify this: There was NOT a bug. This happened before the 100 address pool code was added to the standard bitcoin software.

are the pre loaded 100 addresses in 0.3.23 Windows version?  these are hidden, right?  as in not seen in address book?
ChupacabraHunter (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

Chupacabra = Corrupt Gov't,Lies and Fraud

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 07:37:11 AM

are the pre loaded 100 addresses in 0.3.23 Windows version?  these are hidden, right?  as in not seen in address book?

yeah. That is something I'd like to know too. How can I get the list of those hundred addresses so I can send to them without having to go to my airgapped machine opening my client and generate/copy/paste each address one at a time to a notepad file?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: