Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:50:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should CoinMarketCap continue helping fleece new people?  (Read 502 times)
PeterTheGrape (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:34:15 PM

CoinMarketCap has a long history of running ads that are blatantly out to steal money from newcomers to crypto.

Today their main pop up leads to https://bitgarden.biz/ , a site promising 7% daily to 12% daily, depending how much you 'invest'. Everybody who has been in crypto a while, including the owner of CoinMarketCap, knows that the site will be gone soon. Once enough people have sent bitcoin the site will shut down and place ads on CoinMarketCap under a different web address.

Do you think CoinMarketCap's owner should be taking advantage of less experienced people? Do you think the best way to educate newbies is to help them get stolen from, while getting paid by the thieves, as CoinMarketCap does? Or should CoinMarketCap have ethics?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dylanc

Activity: 243
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:41:14 PM

Do you think CoinMarketCap's owner should be taking advantage of less experienced people? Do you think the best way to educate newbies is to help them get stolen from, while getting paid by the thieves, as CoinMarketCap does? Or should CoinMarketCap have ethics?

It seems to me they're running ads from google adsense and don't have full control over who places the ads. It's possible that they do not know who the advertisers are at all.
PeterTheGrape (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 09:52:25 PM

It seems to me they're running ads from google adsense and don't have full control over who places the ads. It's possible that they do not know who the advertisers are at all.

These pay the CoinMarketCap owner much more than Google adsense ads. They get a very small amount from banner ads on the top and side but the hyip popup ads pay a percentage of the amount taken to the referrer.

https://btcparadise.biz/

Google does not run those ads, they decline any overtly dishonest ads. CoinMarketCap has to seek out a dishonest ad broker who will market those ads, in exchange for high payoffs to CoinMarketCap.
dylanc

Activity: 243

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:05:44 AM

Google does not run those ads, they decline any overtly dishonest ads. CoinMarketCap has to seek out a dishonest ad broker who will market those ads, in exchange for high payoffs to CoinMarketCap.

Cointraffic.io seems to be similar to google adsense in that they automatically broker the ads to the highest bidder or something like that? Anyway, maybe you should contact CoinMarketCap and let them know your concerns?
2bfree

Activity: 686

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 04:08:11 AM

Sounds like you don't like freedom and want to regulate (force on someone else) what ads they can run or not run. What if I wnated to regulate what you can or can't say because I think you are hurting others so I'm shutting you up in the name of protecting others? It's a matter of freedom and more and more people hate freedom that's what's sad!

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PeterTheGrape (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:28:52 AM

Sounds like you don't like freedom and want to regulate (force on someone else) what ads they can run or not run. What if I wnated to regulate what you can or can't say because I think you are hurting others so I'm shutting you up in the name of protecting others? It's a matter of freedom and more and more people hate freedom that's what's sad!

I don't have any problem with freedom, that isn't the issue. Read my post.

Do you think I should not have the freedom to question the ethics of a major altcoin website?

Why would you try to prevent me from having that freedom to criticize, to speak freely, yet defend the freedom of somebody who is helping steal? Is freedom to steal more valuable than freedom to speak?
PeterTheGrape (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:30:52 AM

Cointraffic.io seems to be similar to google adsense in that they automatically broker the ads to the highest bidder or something like that? Anyway, maybe you should contact CoinMarketCap and let them know your concerns?

There might be similarities, but Google does have some ethical rules they try to follow. Google would not serve those ads.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 05:40:00 AM

They are scammy.. where is the asterisk on ETH ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
PeterTheGrape (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 05:46:45 AM

Should be a lot of asterisks on eth https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1147063.0

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/3sn9hr/how_many_eths_is_already_premined/
ElBlaze

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 11:26:04 AM

I really think that after a certain point you are wealthy enough to stop taking every chance of making a buck. That said if I owned coinmarketcap for a week I'd probably flood the site with such scammy ads and I think nobody can blame me for it, but I suppose their owner is a multi millionaire so I don't think he is desperate for ad revenue. Big companies like Facebook or Google that have become sort of like institutions should look at the ethical side of such questions and I think coinmarketcap is big enough to start thinking about it's public image and the way it influences the community.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: