Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:49:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie help  (Read 720 times)
diggerdugg (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:35:21 PM

Hello.  I am wondering if anyone can help me, i tried mining with my laptop GPU and cant seem to get more than .5 mh/s, but when i ran a speed test i was able to find out my computer is able to run at 15 mh/s. I realize its not a good idear to use ones laptop, but i briefly want to try it just to see what it can do, how it works, to set the hook in deeper before i go out and spend money on building a rig?
Thanks

Anyone recommend any miners i should/could to make things easier, and good starter outs?

Digger

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mpj76a

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:41:56 PM

I did the same thing as you starting out.  I set up wallets, joined a pool, and realized it would take a week to make .01 BTC.  That was about 3 or 4 years ago.  I went out and built a 2 GPU rig for about 1100 and then also got a small 6 Gh/s butterfly labs ASIC miner.  In hindsight I would have been 20 times better off if I had just taken that money and bought coins at $60.  I suspect that mining big name coins is now the realm of pros and not hobbyists.  Once ASICS hit the market it was a constant battle to get the newest/fastest gear first so that you could mine back your investment plus a little profit before it became e-waste.  Added risk was that the ASIC you got burned out right away or in a short period of time.  No warranties.  A friend of a friend had racks of GPU's and about 20k worth of burned out ASICS from China.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 12:45:03 PM

Hello.  I am wondering if anyone can help me, i tried mining with my laptop GPU and cant seem to get more than .5 mh/s, but when i ran a speed test i was able to find out my computer is able to run at 15 mh/s. I realize its not a good idear to use ones laptop, but i briefly want to try it just to see what it can do, how it works, to set the hook in deeper before i go out and spend money on building a rig?
Thanks

Anyone recommend any miners i should/could to make things easier, and good starter outs?

Digger

Stop right there... Don't mine with your CPU, don't mine with your GPU... Not even to learn the ropes.
Just for fun, i calculated how much BTC you could potentially mine with a server with XEON CPU's and 6 of the best GPU's available, turned out to be about $11/year for running 24/7, power costs not included.

If you want to learn how to mine BTC, invest some cash in geccoscience's latest USB miner or buy a second hand antminer S5 or something. You'll never break even with this gear, but at least your hashrate will be high enough to find a couple of shares now and then... A GPU won't even find enough shares to properly register on a pool.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
diggerdugg (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 02:23:02 PM

@mpj76a
how come you didn't switch to another coin after realising BTC was for the pros? I assume you did, where did you go after that with your miners? which miner do you prefer?? are you able to share what each does for you and what sort of hash rates you're getting?
@mocacinno
🙈 I did a little playing and toasted my laptop. just wanted to dabble but again, another lesson learned before doing alllllll my homework!!

do you guys think it's a good idea to pick up mining or just stay trading with coins? I hear so much good and bad about both sides!!

digger
FlamingFingers

Activity: 1330
Merit: 288

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 02:44:51 PM

I think both include investments and both have risks, but trading is way easier than mining. IF you are not ready for a long journey of ups and downs, including all the problems you can face, and don't have a "huge" investment to start with, then mining isn't your way. Stick with trading instead.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████