Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:38:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announce] 6-Week Alt Announcement  (Read 17078 times)
Tobius

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:09:35 AM

I'd just be careful about how high the coin generation can get... if the hash rate ever gets to high due to (for example) some sort of ASIC type hyper effienct miner, the coin would be subject to run away inflation... Not sure of the solution to that, but hey, there's 6 weeks
mr_right

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:09:45 AM

what! really? you guys don't see he's joking?
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:12:58 AM

Someone really, really needs to make a coin called "altcoin"

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 03:13:11 AM

Yes, SQrtCoin (SQC) although I'd like the q to stay lowercase in the name (v not that it's my say Tongue )

Oh capitalising the letters in the name that make the symbol is just osmething I do to try to keep people aware of what the symbol is. Most folk only capitalise the initial letter, so it'd be Sqrtcoin when they write it.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
FoundNemo

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:13:21 AM

WLC - WorldCoin
PCC - PeaceCoin
RDC - RedCoin
BLC - BlueCoin
UVC - UniversalCoin
ELC - EliteCoin
FoundNemo

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:15:19 AM

WLC - WorldCoin
PCC - PeaceCoin
RDC - RedCoin
BLC - BlueCoin
UVC - UniversalCoin
ELC - EliteCoin

ZOC - ZRC - ZeroCoin
FoundNemo

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:16:23 AM

WLC - WorldCoin
PCC - PeaceCoin
RDC - RedCoin
BLC - BlueCoin
UVC - UniversalCoin
ELC - EliteCoin

ZOC - ZRC - ZeroCoin
Donation's gladly accepted if you select my names - BTC 1FwsACfRyaH6fQhCz6BcQa7oWwyEEKueCP - lol
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 03:17:25 AM

Congrats you're the next in line to figure out all you have to do is design a coin to make 100k within a week!

Hah, 100k what?  USD, BBQcoin, TRC, FTC...?

Ugh. All these altcoins are making me dizzy.

amen brother!

Someone really, really needs to make a coin called "altcoin"

That would really screw with my conversations!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 03:18:04 AM

the best name is ChikunCoin! CHC

this is actualy an interesting experiment. some new idea of inflacoin.
just dont forget to change difficulty adjustment to PPC version.

Yeah, gonna try to tie in some difficulty adjustment scheme from PPC, might make minor changes.

I'd just be careful about how high the coin generation can get... if the hash rate ever gets to high due to (for example) some sort of ASIC type hyper effienct miner, the coin would be subject to run away inflation... Not sure of the solution to that, but hey, there's 6 weeks

Gonna add that point to op, that is another reason for the sqrt(hashRate)*C
Basically, if ASICs hit for Scrypt, the coin reward would go up, and naturally over time as hardware like GPUs gets faster the block reward will go up as well, but the square root means at some point it will reach a maturity point where large amounts of added hashing power have little affect on the reward.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Tobius

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:20:47 AM

Idea, One could have this sqrt growth until the network reaches a "hash rate of stability" Where the coin reward stops growing, and would remain there. From that point on, it could take on a Bitcoin style halving ritual up to a certain amount of coins (relative to the point at which it reaches "stability", not the initial zero point)
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 03:24:25 AM

Idea, One could have this sqrt growth until the network reaches a "hash rate of stability" Where the coin reward stops growing, and would remain there. From that point on, it could take on a Bitcoin style halving ritual up to a certain amount of coins (relative to the point at which it reaches "stability", not the initial zero point)

I like this idea, problem is determining the magic numbers . . .

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
TheJuice

Activity: 841
Merit: 608

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:28:17 AM

So many coins these days. You're going to have to be very creative to make this stick.
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:29:00 AM

So many coins these days. You're going to have to be very creative to make this stick.

lol, do you really?
Tobius

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:30:27 AM

I like this idea, problem is determining the magic numbers . . .

Well, I'd try to think about what would determine "stable". Some sort of a point at which you could easily say that the coin is well supported and will continue to be mined at a somewhat regular rate. I'd cross compare with other coins, but I suppose that's for later time Tongue

Just as a random suggeston, how about a maximum of 256 coins per block (square that for a hash rate around 65GHs?) (256^2/1000 = Hashrate in KHs)
cygnusxi

Activity: 397
Merit: 251

CureCoin Lead Dev

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 03:31:04 AM

Basically, if ASICs hit for Scrypt, the coin reward would go up, and naturally over time as hardware like GPUs gets faster the block reward will go up as well, but the square root means at some point it will reach a maturity point where large amounts of added hashing power have little affect on the reward.

This seems like a good enough effect to not need a block size cap. because as u said, hardware will get much faster. soon a teraflop card will be old news.

Fold Proteins, earn cryptos! CureCoin. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=603757 MergeFold with FoldingCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=781352.0
Tobius

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:32:42 AM

Then from that point on, moving up towards X value of coins, (let's say 40 million)

So the total coins in circulation would be about 40 million + Whatever was made before stability
Tobius

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:34:51 AM

This seems like a good enough effect to not need a block size cap. because as u said, hardware will get much faster. soon a teraflop card will be old news.

I guess you have a point... but I'd think that once this stability is reached, the coin would take on a bitcoin style difficulty management system, which would just make the hashes harder when some guy comes in with a AMD Radeon 9001X99 Super-Duper-Card GPU @ 999999999 PHs
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:47:42 AM

I think that having the supply tied by the square root is a good idea. A even better idea is to have no cap at all on coins.

After 20-50 years even though people can still mine and get a lot of coins, the inflation will be really small because the amount of coins in existence will always increase against the amount of coins mined. Because of this there is really no reason to cap or slow down the supply after a set amount of years. The volume of coins over the new coins will always increase thus decreasing inflation.

After a hundreds years inflation would be 0.0001% for example, but even this would be enough to keep people interested.

I really like this idea. If you add a cap then I think you will miss out on something important.
Blue_oxen

Activity: 515
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:48:54 AM

The coin itself will have a block reward that increases with hashing power.
I can see this causing a problem with value. as more miners come on it could case a surplus in coins. Having more supply than demand could cause a problem with coin valuation. IMHO I think it would be a good idea to put a hard cap on the number of coins possible no matter how high the hash rate gets.

My name suggestion: ROOTcoin a play on the square root calculation you are using. You could have the graphic on the coin be a tree showing its roots.

NickCoin

Activity: 115

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:50:40 AM

Name suggestions. I need them. Thanks Smiley
=> ZenCoin

I'm in. Supporting the coin as the designer. let me know if you need logo designed.
Sample work - I converted Feathercoin logo to vector lately:
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: