Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:43:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transactions stuck in wallet, not sure what to do  (Read 582 times)
bimmerdriver (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 05:09:41 PM

I've been using bitcoin for a few years for periodic transactions, never had any problems until now. I use blockchain.info as my wallet. I had no idea that their "dynamic fee calculator" is useless and recommends fees that are too low for transactions to be confirmed when the load is high, like now.

I'm hoping to receive some advice.

Here is the background:

On May 16, 12 AM, I sent bitcoin using the fee recommended by blockchain.info. The fee was 105.116 sat/B. This transaction was not confirmed after a long time, so on May 18, 9 PM, I sent again using a higher fee, 116.078 sat/B. (I would have gone with a higher fee, but it was warning me not to.)

On May 20 in the morning, I noticed that both transactions had disappeared from the record of my wallet, so at 8:45 AM, I sent again with a higher fee, 116.732 sat/B. By this time, I had learned that the fees recommended by blockchain.info are too low for transactions to be confirmed when the load is high. I intended to use the fee recommended by https://bitcoinfees.21.co/, but I used their median transaction size of 226 bytes, not realizing it was incorrect because there should have been two outputs, 257-258 bytes. Since this fee was also too low to get quickly confirmed, it got stuck.

On May 20, 2:10 PM, the original two transactions reappeared with a later date / time. The original was counted as a double spend with the newest. All three are still in the pool with 0/3 confirmations. The second transaction is not a double spend, but it's stuck.

I need to send some bitcoins, but I’m not sure how long I must wait. I thought it was “safe” when the first two transactions disappeared, but that wasn’t the case. Based on what happened before, I’m assuming if I try again, the same thing will happen, since there is still an unconfirmed transaction. So how long should I wait before I try again? When will the double spend transactions disappear from my wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 05:31:48 PM

I need to send some bitcoins, but I’m not sure how long I must wait. I thought it was “safe” when the first two transactions disappeared, but that wasn’t the case. Based on what happened before, I’m assuming if I try again, the same thing will happen, since there is still an unconfirmed transaction. So how long should I wait before I try again? When will the double spend transactions disappear from my wallet?

Only blockchain.info knows. I suggest you contact their support and ask.

I suggest you move to proper wallet software like Bitcoin Core. It may be burdensome considering synchronizing and hardware use, but at least you can be sure that transactions are working 100% as intended. Normally 2 days wait time should lead to automatic reappearance of transactions with insufficient fees. Blockchain.info seems to be mixing things up here.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 05:38:44 PM

I suggest you move to proper wallet software like Bitcoin Core. It may be burdensome considering synchronizing and hardware use, but at least you can be sure that transactions are working 100% as intended. Normally 2 days wait time should lead to automatic reappearance of transactions with insufficient fees. Blockchain.info seems to be mixing things up here.
Blockchain.info, or someone else, appears to be rebroadcasting failed transactions in a kind of "low fee transaction rebroadcast" attack.  All these poor people/noobs just trying to send Bitcoins get screwed.  Is there any way to find out who is rebroadcasting all these failed transactions?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
bimmerdriver (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 05:43:27 PM

Thanks for your reply. blockchain.info support is completely useless. They respond with a canned reply or just close the request with no reply. blockchain.info definitely has a broken / useless dynamic fee calculator, but I wonder if they also caused the transactions to be resent, with updated date / time. The transactions I originally submitted are gone without a trace. I'm wondering when these unconfirmed transactions will disappear and my balance will return to what it should be.

Here are the transactions:

https://blockchain.info/tx/a0bd66251f493cef265f8ce49fa01d4cd8f9a7de81f631e9e37922210cd609b7 Submitted May 16, 12 am.
https://blockchain.info/tx/b8fc182903156748f4c7d8c3b84223df911827856917cd5662550e9a98ecd53a Submitted May 18, 9 pm.
https://blockchain.info/tx/e3af8478620fa2033bda1e6c7dc45ff871aa5ee285cece79f02a060ca367b742 Submitted May 20, 8:46 am.

I've never considered using another wallet because I didn't want to deal with backup, but this situation makes me consider it. Where is the best place to find out about using bitcoin core?
bimmerdriver (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 05:51:46 PM

Blockchain.info, or someone else, appears to be rebroadcasting failed transactions in a kind of "low fee transaction rebroadcast" attack.  All these poor people/noobs just trying to send Bitcoins get screwed.  Is there any way to find out who is rebroadcasting all these failed transactions?
In the transactions, you can see the ip address that they were relayed from.
Qartada

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 05:54:50 PM

I didn't want to deal with backup, but this situation makes me consider it. Where is the best place to find out about using bitcoin core?
On bitcoin.org.

Particularly, you should look at the requirements and warnings page.

In my view, the easiest thing to do is get a hardware wallet like a TREZOR.  You get very good security without having to back up files or anything - the written seed, which you hide, lets you recover the wallet if you lose your TREZOR.  You can also have a passphrase, which is an addition to the seed which means that even if someone has the seed, the TREZOR and the computer you use with the TREZOR, you can be safe.  In fact, you can have a decoy passphrase which you lead criminals to in the case of a 5-dollar wrench attack.

You can use it with several popular software wallets like Electrum, which you could also use on its own.

If you want security on a different level though Bitcoin Core is a great choice as running a full node can help to secure the network as a whole rather than just you.

Good luck moving away from blockchain.info.

audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 06:09:12 PM

I've been using bitcoin for a few years for periodic transactions, never had any problems until now. I use blockchain.info as my wallet. I had no idea that their "dynamic fee calculator" is useless and recommends fees that are too low for transactions to be confirmed when the load is high, like now.

I'm hoping to receive some advice.

Here is the background:

On May 16, 12 AM, I sent bitcoin using the fee recommended by blockchain.info. The fee was 105.116 sat/B. This transaction was not confirmed after a long time, so on May 18, 9 PM, I sent again using a higher fee, 116.078 sat/B. (I would have gone with a higher fee, but it was warning me not to.)

On May 20 in the morning, I noticed that both transactions had disappeared from the record of my wallet, so at 8:45 AM, I sent again with a higher fee, 116.732 sat/B. By this time, I had learned that the fees recommended by blockchain.info are too low for transactions to be confirmed when the load is high. I intended to use the fee recommended by https://bitcoinfees.21.co/, but I used their median transaction size of 226 bytes, not realizing it was incorrect because there should have been two outputs, 257-258 bytes. Since this fee was also too low to get quickly confirmed, it got stuck.

On May 20, 2:10 PM, the original two transactions reappeared with a later date / time. The original was counted as a double spend with the newest. All three are still in the pool with 0/3 confirmations. The second transaction is not a double spend, but it's stuck.

I can really relate with his and even looking for answers for my own situation when on Saturday I made transfer from the same blockchain using the recommended fee which obviously was too low and unfortunately till today the amount still remain unconfirmed and didn't even return to the originating wallet which is something so annoying to witness at this time.
bimmerdriver (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 07:08:07 PM

I can really relate with his and even looking for answers for my own situation when on Saturday I made transfer from the same blockchain using the recommended fee which obviously was too low and unfortunately till today the amount still remain unconfirmed and didn't even return to the originating wallet which is something so annoying to witness at this time.
Getting anything out of blockchain.info support is like talking to a wall. Their support is completely useless. I have no way to know when the unconfirmed transactions will go away. I don't know if I try to use my wallet again if it will cause the transactions to be resubmitted again like last time. What a f*cking joke!
perla

Activity: 1932
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 07:40:20 PM

i have that experience before with blockchain, double spend and my transaction back to my wallet, until it get minus. but my friend said that is only need time to get back to normal, i think you should use another wallet for a while untill your error wallet back to normal

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
bimmerdriver (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 08:29:33 PM

Just looked at bitcoin core. I could overlook the 100 GB startup, but 5 GB per day is a lot.
bimmerdriver (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 02:05:43 AM

The most recent transaction, submitted Saturday, May 20, 8:46 AM, disappeared from my wallet this morning. I was hoping the others would disappear this afternoon, but they are still there.
cengsuwuei

Activity: 714
Merit: 516

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 03:04:36 AM

The most recent transaction, submitted Saturday, May 20, 8:46 AM, disappeared from my wallet this morning. I was hoping the others would disappear this afternoon, but they are still there.

if you want fast confirmation in sending you must incraese sending fee,
because this now traffic bitcoin transaction is big, is fast under 20 minute confirmation you can use sending fee 300satoshi/bytes

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.14..

..Buy Now..

bimmerdriver (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 06:11:35 AM

if you want fast confirmation in sending you must incraese sending fee,
because this now traffic bitcoin transaction is big, is fast under 20 minute confirmation you can use sending fee 300satoshi/bytes
I understand that now, but when I resent with a higher fee, there was a double spend, which took out my most recent transaction. Based on that, I'm expecting another double spend if I try to send again with these two transactions stuck in my wallet. I don't even know why they are there. They originally went away, then came back from the dead. I would like to be able to specify how many days for the transaction to wait for confirmation before it gets deleted. The problem is that the blockchain.info wallet is very simplistic.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2017, 11:47:57 AM

Note that cengsuwuei is just a piece of shit paid signature thread spammer and will not be back to this thread so trying to converse with him is a total waste of time.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
bimmerdriver (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 03:31:50 PM

Note that cengsuwuei is just a piece of shit paid signature thread spammer and will not be back to this thread so trying to converse with him is a total waste of time.
Thanks for letting me know.

Unfortunately, two of the d*mn transactions are still in my wallet. Was really hoping they would disappear like the other one.
bimmerdriver (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 05:13:43 PM

Both of the transactions finally completed. I'm going to look into moving away from blockchain.info. Their support sucks and their wallet isn't much better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: