Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:57:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I lost $8400 in my Mt account partly because Mt's slow support service  (Read 1228 times)
cupo (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:40:45 AM

My Mt account is cupo, and I found my account has been intruded in 2:08 29/4/2013(GTM+8). The attacker also hacked my email linked the account. I think I got a keylogger in my computer. I realy surf some exchanger site that days which kaspersky warn phishing site now.
some links on this site maybe infected
technocashier.com/?p=29&cur_from=CARDUSD&cur_to=OKUSD

I receive a password recovery email and quickly reply to inform Mt don't change the password which submit as a ticket to the support. Then I can't login my account and submit another ticket to the support to report this attack and hope they can block the account.

What make me angry is the attacker can't withdraw money untill 3:13 in 4.30 (GTM+8). Mt have 24 hours to block the account but nothing happened. Angry I submit a ticket as soon as my account has been intruded at 2:08 in 4.29 (GTM+8), but the support didn't reply me until this morning (1/5/2013) which said "we can't locate your account". Of course the hacker change the email address, but no notice sent to my original email. I submit the ticket with my user name cupo and original email. If he response quickly and wisely, those loss can be avoided. Mt make a restriction to block withdraw within 24 hours from the account which was changed password. It makes no sense for this slow service.

I just get help from MtGox AML, who is not a support and get my account back today(1/5/2013).
The hacker withdraw BTC to this address
1EY8G68whAjT46JgKvuBGyAqH9uvkzEb8v
1EATk7GW1NPcLvHcSYuQNfdRAcHpbxYZ3u

If Mt is a responsible exchanger, I think they should help me to get my money back. Obviously Mt have responsibility in this loss because of their slow service response.

My BTC-E account has been attacked the same time, the hacker change my money into btc-e code and exchange them to LR instantly. Though I didn't get my money back, but the support in BTC-e response and help me to block the excange soon after I notice him. Following is the order which the attacker exchange my BTC-e code into LR.
https://www.aurumxchange.com/order/view/74712/0835c04f379a34ab32b45d1ce548b095

I use 2FA now to protect my account which seems so necessary for BTC is a big target to hackers now. It's realy an expensive lesson about the security.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tobobit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 09:25:00 AM

I'm sorry about your loss. Hopefully your story can help others avoid similar losses.
Ya, I'm not a fan of Gox customer service. It's really poor.
cupo (OP)

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:07:29 PM

That's right, they have no mercy to their customer.  So disappoint at it.
hashfiend

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:11:02 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the loss from your account and also about the slow service from MtGox.

That said, why did you have so much money in an online wallet? How is it Gox's fault that you had poor security on your computer and managed to get a keylogger by visiting untrustworthy sites?

It sucks that they weren't able to help you but I don't think it's reasonable to blame them for the loss or expect them to refund your lost coins.
MartinReynolds

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:12:14 PM

Any updates on this, kind of puts me off using exchanges. I am not really a trader, just a small time investor but it would be good if I can buy Bitcoins from there with ease and not have to worry.

Regards,

Martin.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:29:45 PM

Any updates on this, kind of puts me off using exchanges. I am not really a trader, just a small time investor but it would be good if I can buy Bitcoins from there with ease and not have to worry.

Regards,

Martin.

You would need a yubikey or google authenticator.
kderaymond

Activity: 26

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:18:40 PM

Regards,

Martin.

This. It's not foolproof, but it will stop most from gaining access to your account. Two-factor is the way to go!
MartinReynolds

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:24:33 PM

Regards,

Martin.

This. It's not foolproof, but it will stop most from gaining access to your account. Two-factor is the way to go!

Those devices look interesting, and costing 25USD they seem like a steal for peace of mind. Maybe if I get into trading I will purchase one.

Regards,

Martin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: