Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:56:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Options for LTC mining: Please comment  (Read 1512 times)
bimmerdriver (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:57:29 AM

I have two desktop computers that I use regularly. I would like to set up one of them for mining LTC so it's still usable as a regular computer.

Radeon: Athlon II X4 630 @ 2.8 GHz with 4 GB RAM and AMD Radeon 5770 HD, currently running GUIminer-scrypt at 198 kH/s. This computer has one pci-x16 slot which is currently occupied by the 5770.

Clarkdale: Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz with 4 GB RAM and onboard Intel HD graphics. This computer has one pci-x16 slot which is currently empty.

As Radeon is basically useless when mining, it's not workable as a miner the way it's currently set up. I'd like to get one AMD 79x0 card which I will dedicate for mining. Since Radeon has only one pci-x16 slot which is currently in use, I was thinking of putting the GPU into the empty slot on Clarkdale. I would continue to use the onboard graphics for regular use and dedicate the GPU to mining. Is this a reasonable approach? Does it matter that the MB and processor are relatively low-end?

Assuming the approach is okay, which GPU should I get? There are so many different versions of 7950 and 7970. Are there any particular cards that stand out for mining?

Thanks for your comments.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: