Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:00:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention: mining pool operators  (Read 3198 times)
Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 01:00:17 PM

Do you payout to a full 8 decimal places? If not, then you're basically stealing from us. There are too many mining pools to ask you guys individually so could you use this thread to explain your policy to us regarding this issue?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Moussekateer

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 01:12:45 PM

I wouldn't word it so strongly but yes it is irritating we can't withdraw our full balance. I understand that this is because some earlier Bitcoin clients can't handle those transactions but at least give us the option to withdraw the full amount with a warning. If we lose it that's our fault then.
twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:08:40 PM

When pools pay to only 2 decimal places, they don't keep the rest.  It stays in your balance.

You earn 0.015 today and get paid 0.01 with 0.005 left behind.

You earn 0.015 tomorrow and now have 0.02 balance and get the entire 0.02 payout.

That isn't stealing.

As has been made clear in many past forum threads, this is done because a not too distant version of the bitcoin client had a bug where any value after 2 decimal places was lost when you sent out a transaction.  There are still thousands of people using those versions (feel free to start a thread calling them idiots for not upgrading), and so pools are behaving this way to help protect their users.

Sure, it would be nice if pools did the required development to have an optional full precision payout.  As a developer myself, though not of of pool software, I can tell you that we respond better to polite requests than we do to accusations of being thieves.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:43:14 PM

When pools pay to only 2 decimal places, they don't keep the rest.  It stays in your balance.

You earn 0.015 today and get paid 0.01 with 0.005 left behind.

You earn 0.015 tomorrow and now have 0.02 balance and get the entire 0.02 payout.

That isn't stealing.

As has been made clear in many past forum threads, this is done because a not too distant version of the bitcoin client had a bug where any value after 2 decimal places was lost when you sent out a transaction.  There are still thousands of people using those versions (feel free to start a thread calling them idiots for not upgrading), and so pools are behaving this way to help protect their users.

Sure, it would be nice if pools did the required development to have an optional full precision payout.  As a developer myself, though not of of pool software, I can tell you that we respond better to polite requests than we do to accusations of being thieves.

Sure, the leftover's go back into your account but what happens when you want to leave the pool? If you can't withdraw that money then it is stealing.

I'm a developer myself, so don't come across all high and mighty, pretending you speak for all of us because you don't. That's completely irrelevant to the mining pools stealing our change though, and I would like to know their official stance on this issue. I don't care in the slightest if it hurts your feelings, this info needs to be public knowledge. It should be on their website.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 03:10:52 PM

I totally agree with the message, not the wording.

Just make it possible to withdraw the entire balance.
twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:34:17 PM

Sure, the leftover's go back into your account but what happens when you want to leave the pool? If you can't withdraw that money then it is stealing.

I'm a developer myself, so don't come across all high and mighty, pretending you speak for all of us because you don't. That's completely irrelevant to the mining pools stealing our change though, and I would like to know their official stance on this issue. I don't care in the slightest if it hurts your feelings, this info needs to be public knowledge. It should be on their website.

I should have known better than to feed the troll.  Nevermind.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
Moussekateer

Activity: 69

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:53:17 PM

I'm not accusing anyone pool operator of stealing. I understand the reasons why this policy was adopted. But from what I hear that was a while back. Can anyone even tell which bitcoin client users are running today? All I want is some setting to withdraw my entire amount as is my right. Currently if I want to withdraw all my bitcoins from a pool I have to calculate how much longer I should mine for for a small chance at getting my total amount to round up to some decimal place so I can withdraw most of it.
Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:46:44 PM

I should have known better than to feed the troll.  Nevermind.

Yes, wanting to know what happens when you leave a mining pool and try to withdraw 0.00999999 BTC obviously make me a troll. If the pools don't allow you to withdraw all your BTC, then that could legally be classified as theft. Would you put up with a bank that refused to hand over every last penny from your account, or would you be calling for their heads? This situation is no different and could cause the pools some legal headaches if they don't sort it out.

Let's just ignore this though because I'm so obviously a troll.
BtcNmcMiner

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:16:05 PM

Have you left any polls and contacted the operator (email, irc, pm, etc) to send you the remaining balance in your account. I know several that will do this. Roll Eyes

M!R△CLE TELE     BRINGING MAGIC TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY     JOIN US NOW!
▐▐   40% Biweekly Rewards     ▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬     Traffic from €0.01 worldwide   ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Lightpaper  Bounty  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:15:21 PM

Have you left any polls and contacted the operator (email, irc, pm, etc) to send you the remaining balance in your account. I know several that will do this. Roll Eyes

No, but I'm not leaving any at the moment. I'd just like to know where things stand regarding the issue.
Wuked

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 09:23:26 PM

We run to 8 decimal places, and you get paid your entire balance in full.

martok

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:28:55 AM

Do you payout to a full 8 decimal places? If not, then you're basically stealing from us. There are too many mining pools to ask you guys individually so could you use this thread to explain your policy to us regarding this issue?
Not only to 8 decimal places but TX fees are also added to the block reward and paid out as part of the round.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 07:46:49 AM

https://ozco.in -13 day old Australian tracker - pays to full 8 decimal places

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
somebadger

Activity: 170

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:56:11 PM

https://ozco.in -13 day old Australian tracker - pays to full 8 decimal places
might try you out since your local Smiley
Craig

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:04:06 PM

BitcoinPays.com does as well, just getting started, servers located East Coast, U.S.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=19701.0

https://bitcoinpays.com

Thanks,
Craig
supa
Copper Member

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:40:17 AM

Why 8 decimal places?

What if during the share calculation it actually extends to 32 decimal places?

Oh no!  This problem is worse than I thought!  Clearly, 32 is greater than 8, and if they aren't even bother to use 8, I'm missing out on nearly four times as many places as you made me aware of!
SteveFL

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:39:41 PM

Yes, wanting to know what happens when you leave a mining pool and try to withdraw 0.00999999 BTC obviously make me a troll. If the pools don't allow you to withdraw all your BTC, then that could legally be classified as theft. Would you put up with a bank that refused to hand over every last penny from your account, or would you be calling for their heads? This situation is no different and could cause the pools some legal headaches if they don't sort it out.

Let's just ignore this though because I'm so obviously a troll.

So let me understand this.  You realized you can't withdraw everything and think that this is the pool operator's fault and demand they explain themselves here, to you, in a separate thread (and toss out the word stealing in an accusatory tone).

Anyone that has read this forum already knows why (try the search function); the older bitcoin clients.

You state that you are a developer, but you made the same mistake that management and users do, you're trying to correct something by patching and fixing the end result to serve your immediate need.  Perhaps if you started this thread with "How can we make sure that all of the miner clients support 8 decimal places to REMOVE the coding in place that limits to 2 decimal places" things might be a little different with constructive replies.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:53:19 PM

Eligius pays out the full balance.

DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 08:05:08 PM

Mod here. Why must people make threads that I just have to lock later?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: