Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:07:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: paper wallet storage  (Read 1630 times)
cryptoheadd

Activity: 1022
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 12:50:52 PM

This is what I do:

1. Do a clean install of your OS on your laptop/pc. (Do not connect it to the internet.)
2. Download Bitaddress.org's generator from here: https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org (Using another laptop)
3. Create a paper wallet and store the priv key on paper/usb etc.
4. Transfer funds. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maheshkumar_Hrangkhawl

Activity: 600
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 01:51:48 PM

I don't know why you want to store the backup / private key in Google drive, when you are already storing it in two other formats (hard-copy and USB drive). There is no need to store the keys in Google drive. There is a chance that someone can hack in to your Google account and rob the coins.

BTW... I thought that the very purpose of having paper wallets was to prevent hackers from stealing coins online.
cluit
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 10:37:30 PM

I don't know why you want to store the backup / private key in Google drive, when you are already storing it in two other formats (hard-copy and USB drive). There is no need to store the keys in Google drive. There is a chance that someone can hack in to your Google account and rob the coins.

BTW... I thought that the very purpose of having paper wallets was to prevent hackers from stealing coins online.

To me the paper wallet is really currently more of a "gift" thing, like giving a physical gift certificate.  There is no reason at all not to store a wallet data file or the entire software wallet on a USB drive.
Sweetbtc

Activity: 938
Merit: 503

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 10:39:19 PM

To me the paper wallet is really currently more of a "gift" thing, like giving a physical gift certificate.  There is no reason at all not to store a wallet data file or the entire software wallet on a USB drive.

I have never seen a USB drive fail that has been stored in a normal manner and you can even put the data on two different USB's, one for backup. A paper wallet is too easily lost, damaged or stolen.

.TONUP..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
...JOIN NOW...
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 10:48:17 PM

Don't use a USB disk. That is flash memory and flash memory is called that because it's used in a flash as in short term to transport usually. Without regular power cycles the flash memory loses its content.

I have never seen a USB drive fail that has been stored in a normal manner and you can even put the data on two different USB's, one for backup. A paper wallet is too easily lost, damaged or stolen.

Rubbish man a USB drive can easily fail and s pepper wallet is not going to get stolen or damaged how ? Omg dude....

ppaul15

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:53:45 PM

its good to store it by piece. 50percent to usb,50 percent to online storage such as google drive etc. so even if a hacker stole ur key or information. he cant easily access to your account. keep safe ur account  Smiley Smiley
FractalUniverse

Activity: 1034
Merit: 558

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 04:51:50 PM

google or microsoft drive is not a bank or vault. usb flash drive will likely fail within few years.
well, at least there will be deflation because of all those bitcoins lost forever, increasing value for other holders Cheesy
honestis.network

Activity: 27
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2017, 08:46:12 AM

its good to store it by piece. 50percent to usb,50 percent to online storage such as google drive etc. so even if a hacker stole ur key or information. he cant easily access to your account. keep safe ur account  Smiley Smiley

Better than storing 50% of key somewhere as for most bitcoins wallets /accounts it is only possibility.

If you are not so newbie maybe TRY ethereum multisig wallet or other multisig wallet.

Those wallets use few keys to unlock funds for example 3 of 5 keys.

Then store them like
1-2 to your lawyers and/or notary with your last will

Keep for yourself other keys like 3 in different computers/drives/family members/best friends and locations of your choice if printed or engraved on steel

In such case no password is needed if you are dead so family members after reading your last will can retrieve funds.

If your house burn you can see your last will and documents in lawyer company and retrieve keys from friends so you will be able to retrieve funds. Unless your lawyer your notary and your family and friends conspire against you, but then it is already a hard time for you.

There is a risk that If you get hacked and all keys stolen then nothing will help you.

Honestis . Network Portable Identity Provider ICO
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: