Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:27:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaxx just made me lose .50 bitcoin  (Read 1354 times)
newstart2011 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 06:02:37 AM

Hey guys just a warning

I just installed jaxx thinking its easy to just convert my bitcoin to eth using shapeshifter

I sent .50 btc to myself thats 1000US and once i recieved it i clicked on shapeshift and click on send max to the eth waller in jaxx

once i clicked send it sent all my btc to some random address . i generated this address 1J9fULUFhCMsVXQKC9r8148ZoryAyqoPxf and bye bye there went my coins

needless to say i feel sick to my stomach right now ... i cant beleive that this crappy software just made me lose my coins . i doubt very much this glitch will ever get me back my coins .

be careful when dealing with wallets .. i'm done with jaxx and thier wallet . took me 30 seconds to lose my 1000.00 bucks .. i'm so pissed ... what a peace of crap software .. just cost me big money for nothing ... god damn it !!!

thanks for listening to my rant. And no i didnt do anything wrong !!! was brand new wallet and its a no brainer you click on shapeshifter and chose the from coin to the to coin and click send ... its supposed to send not send to some other Wallet id

now i 'm gona try and sleep knowing i just lost my money .

thanks alot jaxx
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16605

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2017, 06:07:09 AM

once i clicked send it sent all my btc to some random address .
Some Windows virusses change addresses when you copy/paste them, to steal your money. Could this have happened?

tobs

Activity: 282
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 06:16:35 AM

once i clicked send it sent all my btc to some random address . i generated this address 1J9fULUFhCMsVXQKC9r8148ZoryAyqoPxf and bye bye there went my coins
I don't quite understand. It should indeed send your btc to some random address (their address), you shouldn't even have an option to provide any btc addresses or filling any blanks about them. Then after they get your btc on their address they will send to you your eth to your eth address (that you should have provided or if using multiple wallets in jaxx it was probably automatically filled to match your eth jaxx wallet). So if it happened few minutes ago I guess you have nothing to worry about as they have to process it and now with so many btc transactions having problems with being verified it can take some time.
nativehasher

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 06:20:23 AM

Where did you download your Jaxx setup from? Maybe someone put of a malicious version that diverts payments/shapeshift output?

golang, node.js and C++ developer.
BTC: 1NativecFuCN68n1rmHabkXRZnwuxpoJ4f
btcney

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 06:56:05 AM

Hey guys just a warning

I just installed jaxx thinking its easy to just convert my bitcoin to eth using shapeshifter

I sent .50 btc to myself thats 1000US and once i recieved it i clicked on shapeshift and click on send max to the eth waller in jaxx

needless to say i feel sick to my stomach right now ... i cant beleive that this crappy software just made me lose my coins . i doubt very much this glitch will ever get me back my coins .

be careful when dealing with wallets .. i'm done with jaxx and thier wallet . took me 30 seconds to lose my 1000.00 bucks .. i'm so pissed ... what a peace of crap software .. just cost me big money for nothing ... god damn it !!!

thanks for listening to my rant. And no i didnt do anything wrong !!! was brand new wallet and its a no brainer you click on shapeshifter and chose the from coin to the to coin and click send ... its supposed to send not send to some other Wallet id

now i 'm gona try and sleep knowing i just lost my money .

thanks alot jaxx

I doubt it's jaxx's fault because they are a trustworthy company which has no reason to scam you. I have seen people store way more than you have stored in your wallet and use it without trouble. And sahpeshift is only integrated into jaxx, it's not a part of jaxx.

I don't get this sentence. As I can see your address had 0.5 BTC in it before it got sent out to some other address, presumably shapeshift's. Did you enter an address or did Jaxx do that automatically for you? Are you sure that shapeshift has sent the funds to your Ethereum wallet? Larger transactions like yours can take a while for shapeshift to process. If yes, then i would bet that it's some sort of virus you've got.
newstart2011 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 01:25:07 PM

Yup sorry guys

i panicked

I thought it was sending bitcoin to myself, i didn't notice that you had to send bitcoin to them first and then it got converted with them. I got my coin this morning . wow i feel like a total fool.

Gona write a moderator and see if he can delete this post all together since i dont want to bad mouth any software when it was me in the wrong. damn Am i happy i see my coin back in my wallet

thanks for opening my eyes with you guys comments Smiley

i owe Jaxx an apology big one Smiley

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16605

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2017, 03:08:02 PM

You can edit the first post and title of this thread. Just like what I did to this post.

On a serious note though: you should check how things work first, maybe with a smaller amount, before sending $1k to any automated service.

bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 11:12:58 PM

And you can easily lock the thread already since your problem was solved already, by navigating on the lower left side 'lock topic'. Or just edit your first post, And Loyce is right you should know how things work before doing anything, google is always there to give you hint, and answer your questions.
ngin-x

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 04:39:26 AM

Jaxx still has the bug OP is talking about here. No, Jaxx is not trying to scam anyone but it is a huge bug in their wallet which can cause untold losses. Let me explain below.

I sent a small amount of bits to a certain address today using Jaxx wallet but instead of sending that amount, the wallet sent the entire wallet balance to that address. Thankfully the other address was mine too, so I didn't lose any coins but the bug is very real, I tested it twice. I lost quite a bit in fees though.

There is one other thread here which has confirmed the same issue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: