Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:45:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to start? (suggestion for eth mining)  (Read 1232 times)
does (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 117
Merit: 17

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 10:20:05 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2017, 02:26:00 PM by does

hi there every one.
i have a rig of 8 gtx 1080, but im not satisfied with it for mining. i tried eth i got 20mhs per card,  around 160mhs over all i used nano pool but the reward that i was getting per day was not worth it i got 0.2025 per 24h+ which was around 32$ when in nicehash i would have around 40-50$ depends on the hour.

anyhow i decide to invest some(all) of my saving. (around 12k)
i tried to search some guide where to start , like what hardware were the best to buy ... , all the post where really really old and outdated so here i am to ask for some help
so i can get a better idea on what todo and what NOT to do. all suggestion  are welcome

i had come across this site https://videocardz.com/amd/radeon-500/radeon-rx-580 which show lots of brand of the same cards. (which of these are better if u had the opportunity to buy them give me the top 5)
1, which card will be the best for mining eth? (after moding the bios and card, which i dont know how to do yet)
2, i could find in my country some SAPPHIRE NITRO+ LIMITED EDITION rx580 8G , Sapphire PULSE 8G rx580, msi RADEON™ RX 580 GAMING X 8G. which of these would u recommend. since i dont really know what the best card on the market i search what i've seen on some videos, maybe they are better cards that i need to search for.
3, which mobo will u recommend ?
4, after u have mined some favorite coin, where can u sale it for actual money? what are the places?
5, after how long the card will wear out? (on 100% load all the time)
6, how much time did/do u invest in it (in a day/week/month) ?

for now this is the question that i have in my head, i guess i will come with some more.

appreciate if u could give me a hand on that. thanks alot.

by the way this topic could help others that want to start mining.

i did some home work. and this is what i've got. (please destroy me if i miss calculate something or i did something wrong. i do want learn from the best, i know i did not include an frame, i will do them my self with wood)

each rig will cost me around 3017$
my calculation was with 6 Sapphire Radeon RX 580 NITRO+ LIMITED EDITION 8GB which each of them will do around 29mhs = 174mh ,
MSI Z170A Gaming M7 LGA1151
Intel Pentium G4400
HyperX FURY 4GB DDR4 2133MHz
Corsair Force LS CSSD-F60GBLS
SeaSonic 1050W 80+ Gold
6-Pack PCIe VER 006 PCI-E 16x to 1x Powered Riser

the payback of the investment will be around 3 month.

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/ethereum-mining-calculator/?h=174&p=1.00&pc=0.16&pf=1.00&d=524034016349029&r=5.00000000&er=0.09240000&btcer=2489.00090000&hc=3017
PanneKopp

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

aka ...

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 10:53:12 AM

... maybe you should do some research before you invest !

Your GTX-1080 RIG should ROI much better with other algos !

Tongue

... please make an educated guess !
does (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 01:01:59 PM

... maybe you should do some research before you invest !

Your GTX-1080 RIG should ROI much better with other algos !

Tongue
this is exactly what i am doing now Smiley
this post is all about it , researching..
i would like to hear what u have in mind.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2017, 01:22:37 PM

You need to do a lot of research Smiley and your best friend can be goggle , or the search window on this forum.
What that calculator telling you today , that is going to be different tomorrow , and a week later and a month later ...
Its not just about the price change ... As difficulty going up, you going to earn less and less if the price stays around today price.
There is a example :
With 2GH/s on ETH mining in
- January everyone was able to mine around 150-160 ETH / month
- February around 140 ETH / month
- March around 115 ETH / month
- April / May around 60 ETH / months

The reason why the difficulty not changed like crazy in May , because the suppliers run out from RX 480 hardware , and sold out from the the new rx 500 series cards . As soon as the new cards coming back to stock , people going to build more mining rigs , difficulty going to go up like crazy again , just like its happened in the past few months .
In the past 2 months the ETH network difficulty is doubled.

If the difficulty going to doubled again in the next month , you roi will be 6 month Smiley
http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/ethereum-mining-calculator/?h=174.00&p=1.00&pc=0.16&pf=1.00&d=1024034016349029&r=5.00000000&er=0.09240000&btcer=2489.00090000&hc=3017.00

aslo ... the psu you mentioned ( SeaSonic 1050W 80+ Gold ) might be not the best choice for a 6 cards rx 580 /8gb build

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
does (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 02:24:10 PM

You need to do a lot of research Smiley and your best friend can be goggle , or the search window on this forum.
What that calculator telling you today , that is going to be different tomorrow , and a week later and a month later ...
Its not just about the price change ... As difficulty going up, you going to earn less and less if the price stays around today price.
There is a example :
With 2GH/s on ETH mining in
- January everyone was able to mine around 150-160 ETH / month
- February around 140 ETH / month
- March around 115 ETH / month
- April / May around 60 ETH / months

The reason why the difficulty not changed like crazy in May , because the suppliers run out from RX 480 hardware , and sold out from the the new rx 500 series cards . As soon as the new cards coming back to stock , people going to build more mining rigs , difficulty going to go up like crazy again , just like its happened in the past few months .
In the past 2 months the ETH network difficulty is doubled.

If the difficulty going to doubled again in the next month , you roi will be 6 month Smiley
http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/ethereum-mining-calculator/?h=174.00&p=1.00&pc=0.16&pf=1.00&d=1024034016349029&r=5.00000000&er=0.09240000&btcer=2489.00090000&hc=3017.00

aslo ... the psu you mentioned ( SeaSonic 1050W 80+ Gold ) might be not the best choice for a 6 cards rx 580 /8gb build

hey, first thanks alot for adding me abit of ur knowledge, i keep digging in google and here on the forum to gather and learn much as i can.
i've seen ur build with  the 16 cards, and it seems u dont draw more than 1k watt per system (more around 700+- after tweaking) but even if it was not around 700 and more around 900-1000 that would be ok, but i got ur points its really tight, i have a 1200 psu in mind. that wont be a problem. also wooden frame may change to aluminum.
the difficulty is indeed grown to almost double the last month, but in the same breath the worth of eth did tripple itself in the last month.
but thanks again that make me thinking Smiley, even if i got the payback after like 6 month and not 3 as i mistakenly mention before everything after that point will be passive income, which i guess is ok, its not i will go Bankrupt after this..

do u have any more suggestion for me? anything is welcome.

thanks again by the way.
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2017, 03:35:12 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2017, 03:03:18 AM by xxcsu

hi there every one.
1, which card will be the best for mining eth? (after moding the bios and card, which i dont know how to do yet)

This is the main reason why dont go for the 1050 watts psu .If you are using ur psu at max wattage , there is a chance your mining rig going to be very unstable . The optimal wattage is around  80% of the max rated wattage. If you going closer to the max rating , your psu efficiency is going down , your system might become instable  ..

I modded my own bios files for each cards , (not just paste / copy mem timings) , and yes i pushed down my power usage for each rigs i have , but on the same time i can run each cards around 30mh/s stable for weeks , months .

If you want to stick with sea sonic psu , go for the x-1250 . In the future.... one day , you might going to say thank you for this advice about the psu Wink

If the rx580/8gb cards are available in your country ( what country are u living? ), you are lucky  , those cards are pretty much sold out everywhere right now  , and they are on back order , some retailers taking orders right now , and shipping the cards a 3-4 weeks later Smiley

Keep in  mind not just the " regular" graphic cards, home made mining rigs pushing the difficulty up , there is also a different "plug and play" mining hardware showing up in the mining market , only for mining purpose .

So when you calculating your roi , becareful with the numbers Smiley
February 1st the eth difficulty was around 100+++ in March first  around 150+++ , right now , 4 months later 500+++ , new rx580 cards hit the market soon , new batch of PandaMiner and similar miners are on sale/ pre-sale .

I would go for 8GB system mem instead of 4GB , and would go for a z270 chipset Smiley

PS:
order more than 6 powered risers , just in case ... you might going to need if one going bad , or just not functional Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
does (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 04:39:58 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2017, 06:22:21 PM by does

I modded my own bios files for each cards , (not just paste / copy mem timings).

If you want to stick with sea sonic psu , go for the x-1250 . In the future.... one day , you might going to say thank you for this advice about the psu Wink

Keep in  mind not just the " regular" graphic cards, home made mining rigs pushing the difficulty up , there is also a different "plug and play" mining hardware showing up in the mining market , only for mining purpose

I would go for 8GB system mem instead of 4GB , and would go for a H270 chipset Smiley

PS:
order more than 6 powered risers , just in case ... you might going to need if one going bad , or just not functional Smiley

1, where did u learn how to make ur own moded bios & cards (if u could link them that would be awasome) [ i did not saw any upload of urs in ur topic about ur rom files etc)
2, i am not sticking with one psu company, evga seasonic coolermaster corsair
3, PandaMiner draw alot of power, and as some old gpus (rx480 & rx470) if that matter, do u know any other plug and play system like asics? in ur opinion its better to invest the money there instead of gpus rigs?
thing is, when i think about it. buying a PandaMiner or any other plug&play system,u wont be able to do anything with them after certain time. while with gpus u could resale them for gamers/second handed.. so u will be able to earn something back.
4, which card do u propose to use ? (from the models i mention) needles to say they are quite pricey (389.65 US each)
what would u take from these https://image.prntscr.com/image/0c285e2ea1144298af224ec9d0e62558.png the msi is not mention in the pic but consider it aswell

could u explain why going for a h270 chipset? (also would u go for an ATX or micro atx)
as for micro atx i found Asus Prime H270-PLUS for 172$  and for atx Gigabyte GA-H270-HD3,Asus Prime H270-PRO , MSI H270 PC Mate, all around the same price 160$

and like u said, in about a month or so +-  the market will be flooded again with cards, so its my time to shine Cheesy (i think)
Storx

Activity: 322
Merit: 233

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 04:43:45 PM

hi there every one.
i have a rig of 8 gtx 1080, but im not satisfied with it for mining. i tried eth i got 20mhs per card,  around 160mhs over all i used nano pool but the reward that i was getting per day was not worth it i got 0.2025 per 24h+ which was around 32$ when in nicehash i would have around 40-50$ depends on the hour.

anyhow i decide to invest some(all) of my saving. (around 12k)
i tried to search some guide where to start , like what hardware were the best to buy ... , all the post where really really old and outdated so here i am to ask for some help
so i can get a better idea on what todo and what NOT to do. all suggestion  are welcome

i had come across this site https://videocardz.com/amd/radeon-500/radeon-rx-580 which show lots of brand of the same cards. (which of these are better if u had the opportunity to buy them give me the top 5)
2, i could find in my country some SAPPHIRE NITRO+ LIMITED EDITION rx580 8G , Sapphire PULSE 8G rx580, msi RADEON™ RX 580 GAMING X 8G. which of these would u recommend. since i dont really know what the best card on the market i search what i've seen on some videos, maybe they are better cards that i need to search for.
4, after u have mined some favorite coin, where can u sale it for actual money? what are the places?

for now this is the question that i have in my head, i guess i will come with some more.

appreciate if u could give me a hand on that. thanks alot.

by the way this topic could help others that want to start mining.

i did some home work. and this is what i've got. (please destroy me if i miss calculate something or i did something wrong. i do want learn from the best, i know i did not include an frame, i will do them my self with wood)

each rig will cost me around 3017$
my calculation was with 6 Sapphire Radeon RX 580 NITRO+ LIMITED EDITION 8GB which each of them will do around 29mhs = 174mh ,
MSI Z170A Gaming M7 LGA1151
Intel Pentium G4400
HyperX FURY 4GB DDR4 2133MHz
Corsair Force LS CSSD-F60GBLS
SeaSonic 1050W 80+ Gold
6-Pack PCIe VER 006 PCI-E 16x to 1x Powered Riser

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/ethereum-mining-calculator/?h=174&p=1.00&pc=0.16&pf=1.00&d=524034016349029&r=5.00000000&er=0.09240000&btcer=2489.00090000&hc=3017

I am actually very interested in following this myself. I myself have done direct bitcoin mining in the past buying ASIC machines, but the profit margin is no longer there really for the effort.. Just recently i started looking back into mining and decided to test the waters using my gaming pc, which has a pair of GTX1080ti's setup in a custom watercooled loop. i have been mining with Nicehash only really since i have not figured out a better route to mine using the NVIDIA cards. Because when i tried to mine for ETH on minergate it just produced errors... i have been told to go the Skein route over others, but have not yet figured out how to mine for it yet. I have been toying around with the overclocking settings and right now based on +100 core clock,+400 mem clock im getting the highest H/watt rate with a estimated earnings of $16.53/day with my water temps stabilizing at 44c in my loop. Im doing the research now with my gaming rig, so i make the right decisions when i decide to scale up to multiple GPU rigs.. because right now the cost to purchase my GTX1080ti's will take way longer to payback over cheaper cards..

- GPUs Mining : 128 (Updated 3/7/18) // CPUs Mining : 19 (Updated 2/23/18)
does (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:35:54 AM

I've updated the questions Smiley hopefully more ppl could give their knowledge thanks <3

QuintLeo
Legendary

Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 11:36:59 AM

The GTX 1070 is a better choice for ETH than the 1080 is - the 1080 should be mining ZEC if you are going to mine one of the "big coins" on it.

I personally prefer Sapphire then Gigabyte then EVGA then MSI then the rest, but other folks have other opinions.

X-1050 should be a good choice for your rig as designed.
 Just don't go with the Prime series instead, they're the first Seasonic series I refuse to buy in a VERY VERY long time of preference for Seasonic power supplies.

Most modern GPUs *IF THEY HAVE A GOOD FAN SETUP* (insist on double ball-bearing fans, nothing else lasts as long in heavy duty usage) will last many years, if you keep the fan curve turned up enough to keep the card cool.
 I've got some cards that have been mining (or working the Dnet client which puts a very similar load on them, as it is ALSO crypto work) for 5+ years without issues.

The biggest reason I prefer Sapphire is they don't make cards with anything else and haven't for as long as I've been aware of them.
 Gigabyte EVGA and MSI seem to be the same way but I have less experience with their cards.

I mined part-time for about 5 years before I "went pro" last year - and had built up a significant "farm" in that time, largely from reinvesting a large part of my mining income.
 Then I moved to where the CHEAP power lives so I could afford to "go pro" a lot easier.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
does (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 09:08:42 AM

hi every one,
i was able to put my hand on 12 cards at the moment
6 sapphire nitro+ OC 4GB & 6 MSI gaming x 8GB

Each 1070 cost 563$ here. that cost double the price of an and card, and it mine eth about the same rate (not speaking about other coins at the moment) this is why its not a great idea for ROI

all of my local stores in my country did not have any PSU above 1200watt, which make me think maybe 2 gold+ 650w-700w psu  for each machine will do? any thought on that?

i also need to order risers.

which one will u recommend , VER006 with molex connection or VER007 with sata power ?

xxcsu

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 02:49:34 PM

In your first post  , followed the link you provided , You calculated your ROI with 1 watt of power usage:) with a 6 cards setup its going to be a little bit more than that Wink If you dont know how to mod ur own bios , and dont know the proper way to undervolt , underclock your cards , you need to do that calculation with a 1000 Watts of power usage . If you have a free power , then ignore this post Smiley

So the day you posted ( 2 days ago)  it should be :
http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/ethereum-mining-calculator/?h=174.00&p=1000&pc=0.16&pf=1.00&d=524034016349029&r=5.00000000&er=0.09240000&btcer=2489.00090000&hc=3017.00
Days to break even: 104.69 Day(s)

The same calculator with today difficulty ( 02-May / 2 days later )
http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/ethereum-mining-calculator/?h=174.00&p=1000&pc=0.16&pf=0.00&d=580763046038545&r=5.00000000&er=0.09244126&btcer=2562.03640000&hc=3017
Days to break even: 112.52 Day(s)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: