Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:02:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can large GPU systems be profitable with Litecoins?  (Read 695 times)
BitshireHashaway (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 03:30:36 PM

Since there from what I've heard can't be an Asic made for Litecoins, does that mean that you can build a very large GPU rig (similar to what people have been making for Bitcoins before Asics were made), and make a profit from that?
misguidedgeek

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:47:01 PM

Litecoin is Scrypt based. They don't solely depend on the GPU like bitcoins.
They also need a pretty good RAM and moderate processor.

Check this page for comparison : https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/wiki/Mining-hardware-comparison
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:31:58 PM

Since there from what I've heard can't be an Asic made for Litecoins, does that mean that you can build a very large GPU rig (similar to what people have been making for Bitcoins before Asics were made), and make a profit from that?

Yes and No

It would have been possible if things stayed the same at the HW front. When ASIC's hit's BTC, it means that more or less all GPU mining rigs  will start to mine LTC instead. That only requires a small RAM-upgrade and they will be ready to go. Pretty sure many have already upgraded and tested their rigs vs LTC.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
the1silverwolf

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:45:56 PM

Yes, mining LTC with a GPU is profitable how profitable depends on market price & mining difficulty.

Use this calculator below to figure out how many LTC you can mine with your GPU.

http://litecoinminingcalculator.com/index.php

--
the1silverwolf
Geertje123

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:51:26 PM

Ive seen a large drop in the value of the litecoin currency lately. I wanted to buy another GPU to start a new mine, however I changed my mind when I saw the graphs of the litecoin currency.

For now I have two workers, one is my laptop I use every day, and the other my old desktop which mines at ~20 kH/s. (not much but it's something)

I'm also planning on installing miners on some of the PC's at where I work. (lol)

Malawi

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:08:16 PM

Ive seen a large drop in the value of the litecoin currency lately. I wanted to buy another GPU to start a new mine, however I changed my mind when I saw the graphs of the litecoin currency.

For now I have two workers, one is my laptop I use every day, and the other my old desktop which mines at ~20 kH/s. (not much but it's something)

I'm also planning on installing miners on some of the PC's at where I work. (lol)

At that speed you are probably using more electricity than you make in LTC. Still works as a pure exchange thou. But be aware that your laptop is more sensitive to mining. (Gets too hot quicker)

m00min

Activity: 22

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:00:39 PM

Nice fish Malawi Smiley
Malawi

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:16:23 PM

Nice fish Malawi Smiley

Thanks. Smiley It's a Juvenile Tropheus Duboisi

BitshireHashaway (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 09:38:32 PM

At that speed you are probably using more electricity than you make in LTC. Still works as a pure exchange thou. But be aware that your laptop is more sensitive to mining. (Gets too hot quicker)

I using my laptop to do tests before  I get a GPU rig. I have heard rumors about it getting to hot, however, it is a Alienware Gaming Laptop and on max, the GPU doesn't even get much hotter than 70.
Torrerre

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:41:52 PM

If it's not profitable with Litecoins it can be profitable on other coins using scrypt, like FTC or CNC.  I've let 2 1.2Mh/s rigs mine FTC over the last one week, exchanged them for LTC, and it easily outpaced what I could have mined on LTC.
ritchan

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 11:01:51 PM

That's what I do too - long term I'd store everything in LTC or BTC, but for mining, since I only have an nVidia card, I mine the easy ones instead and hope I can trade them for a good price.
the1silverwolf

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:39:15 AM

If it's not profitable with Litecoins it can be profitable on other coins using scrypt, like FTC or CNC.  I've let 2 1.2Mh/s rigs mine FTC over the last one week, exchanged them for LTC, and it easily outpaced what I could have mined on LTC.

I've recently started doing this as well.  FTC hit the BTC-E market with a very good price (ratio) to bitcoins so i've been mining them.

--
the1silverwolf
bhunt

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:27:09 AM

I using my laptop to do tests before  I get a GPU rig. I have heard rumors about it getting to hot, however, it is a Alienware Gaming Laptop and on max, the GPU doesn't even get much hotter than 70.

I would mine with it if you have enough hash rate for your electricity bill..
I wouldn't go over 85% fan speed and 70-75°C
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: