Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:01:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Men and their weapons  (Read 2847 times)
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 10:48:02 PM

I don't like cold steel. I am more used to firearms. For me, it's an anachronism.

And I love cold steel very much. I have a few knives in the collection. These are not combat knives, they are not officially considered a cold steel.
I know the history of making these knives. They are unique and each has its own character.
I really like Damascus steel machetes
Damascus steel is nothing more than a name brand. Now technology is such that you can make edged weapons from composite materials is much better than Damascus steel. It's more tribute to tradition than a tribute to the quality.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Okurkabinladin (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 06:22:49 PM

I don't like cold steel. I am more used to firearms. For me, it's an anachronism.

And I love cold steel very much. I have a few knives in the collection. These are not combat knives, they are not officially considered a cold steel.
I know the history of making these knives. They are unique and each has its own character.
Damascus steel is nothing more than a name brand. Now technology is such that you can make edged weapons from composite materials is much better than Damascus steel. It's more tribute to tradition than a tribute to the quality.

Damascus or pattern welding is still used for aesthetics, though. It can be functional, if properly heat treated.

Crucible spring steel, that is today considered standard for industrial applications was first developed in northern Europe about 1200 years ago.

Absolute bottom could be considered stainless steel (both brittle and hard), followed by wrought iron.
Okurkabinladin (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 04:59:39 PM

Piece of forgotten US history.

Bashford Dean (October 28, 1867 – December 6, 1928). Dean’s principal challenge was to devise a helmet that would provide superior protection, while being light and comfortable enough to wear for extended periods of time, and which could be efficiently and economically mass produced.

Weighing 13 lbs. 12 oz. (6240 g) and highly specialized in its design and intent, American Helmet Model No. 7—Sentinel’s Helmet, was meant to be worn only for short periods of time, with an accompanying breastplate, in exposed or forward positions where heavy enemy fire was expected (2013.583). Its construction was based directly on that of the Italian armet, a type of helmet that was popular during the late fifteenth century (42.50.2).

Vast majority of dead and wounded was suffered becuase of debris and shrapnel (artillery), not gunfire. This was effective defense against it.

kevinn669

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

Tokens That Store Virtual Energy

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 07:32:18 PM

You're right. I have a knife made of such steel, but it is not very good in functionality. Due to the fact that this steel contains a large amount of carbon, I have to take care of the blade and make sure that it does not rust

████████████                                                     
 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███          ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       
 ██▀▀▀▀██▄  ███         ██▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀ ▐███▌   ██▀▀▀▀██▄▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀       
 ██     ██  ███   ▄▄    ██▄    ▀    ██     ██ ██   ██     ██    ██           
 ██ ▄▄▄██▀  ███  ████   ▀██████▄    ██    ▐█▌ ▐█▌  ██ ▄▄▄██▀    ██           
 ██  ▀██▄   ███   ▀▀    ▄    ▀██    ██    ███████  ██  ▀██▄     ██           
 ██    ▀██▄ ███         ██▄▄▄▄██    ██   ▐█▌   ▐█▌ ██    ▀██▄   ██           
 ▀▀      ▀▀ ███          ▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀   ▀▀     ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀   ▀▀           
            ████████████     █████████████                                   
                                       ███                                   
         ████████ ██▄      ██          ███  ████████▄   ▄▄█████▄▄  ██▄     ▄██
         ██       ████▄    ██     ▄▄   ███  ██    ▀██ ▐██▀     ▀██  ▀██▄ ▄██▀
         ██▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██▀███▄  ██    ████  ███  ██   ▄▄██ ██              ▀███▀   
         ██▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ▀███▄██     ▀▀   ███  ██ ███▀▀  ██    ██████     ▐█▌   
         ██       ██    ▀████          ███  ██  ▀██▄  ▐██▄     ▄██     ▐█▌   
         ████████ ██      ▀██          ███  ██    ▀██▄  ▀▀█████▀▀      ▐█▌   
                              ████████████                                   
      ▄▄▄▄        ▄███▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄       ▄████▀
               █████   
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▀▀   
 ▀▀████████▌ ▐██▌     
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀ ▄▄   
               █████▄ 
             █▄ ▀████▌
             ███  ▀███▌
             ███    ▀▀▀
             ███       
             ███       
             ███           
            ▐███▌     
           ▄█████▄     
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Register and Get Access
Facebook   Telegram
Twitter       Announcement
Okurkabinladin (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 08:07:19 PM

You're right. I have a knife made of such steel, but it is not very good in functionality. Due to the fact that this steel contains a large amount of carbon, I have to take care of the blade and make sure that it does not rust

Those are two different things, friend  Wink best kind of knives are made of high carbon steel (regardless, if they are pattern welded aka damascene). Carbon content in iron makes mechanically superior tool, making it tougher, of high tensile strength aswell as resilient to all kind of abuse. All that is asked of you is just a little bit of care in the form of oil.

Stainless steel on the other hand is extremely hard and brittle - it is difficult to even make it of proper sharpness. It is never used for swords (or armor) for those reasons, long blades would just break apart mid flight. Stainless steel blade is really only useful in your kitchen.
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 11:47:16 PM

Why do you only talk about steel? Now there is a material much harder than steel and prone to rust. For example carbon fiber or carbon fiberglass. I generally don't like melee weapons. I even do not watch movies about those times when they were knights.
Okurkabinladin (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 12:29:48 AM

Why do you only talk about steel? Now there is a material much harder than steel and prone to rust. For example carbon fiber or carbon fiberglass. I generally don't like melee weapons. I even do not watch movies about those times when they were knights.

It is pity, that you choose to not "like" them. Honest. They are not just melee weapons, but tools, pieces of our history and status symbols, but alas your choice Smiley

Good question about the steel.

There is no better material for bladed tools. I double checked, trust me.

Bronze has many interesting properties - and was used for a very long time also for tools, but ultimately it is quite soft and heavy.

Titanium is remarkably strong and light, but too brittle. Same thing for aircraft grade aluminium.

Carbon/glass fiber has good tensile strength but becomes brittle once solid. And it cant really hold edge. Ultimately it is textile, albeit tough, plastic one. Good blade should be of reasonable weight, tough, holds edge for a long time, flexible enough to not break upon impact yet stiff enough to not bend like a whip.

High carbon/chrom vanadium steel is the only material known to man, which can do all of those things at the same time.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/properties-of-chrome-vanadium
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 10:32:15 AM

It is pity, that you choose to not "like" them. Honest. They are not just melee weapons, but tools, pieces of our history and status symbols, but alas your choice Smiley

Bronze has many interesting properties - and was used for a very long time also for tools, but ultimately it is quite soft and heavy.

Titanium is remarkably strong and light, but too brittle. Same thing for aircraft grade aluminium.

Carbon/glass fiber has good tensile strength but becomes brittle once solid. And it cant really hold edge. Ultimately it is textile, albeit tough, plastic one. Good blade should be of reasonable weight, tough, holds edge for a long time, flexible enough to not break upon impact yet stiff enough to not bend like a whip.

High carbon/chrom vanadium steel is the only material known to man, which can do all of those things at the same time.

Well these melee weapons helped shape society as it is now. Back then, you have to have courage to face your enemy face to face knowing that there's a chance they can gut the life out of you. Today's warfare is fought from a distance though more dangerous because of mass weapons. Before the use of guns, these steel weapons are respected as much as their wielder

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
Okurkabinladin (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 01:20:11 AM

Well these melee weapons helped shape society as it is now. Back then, you have to have courage to face your enemy face to face knowing that there's a chance they can gut the life out of you. Today's warfare is fought from a distance though more dangerous because of mass weapons. Before the use of guns, these steel weapons are respected as much as their wielder

You might be onto something there, sure. Warfare used to be far more prevalent (with nearly all major settlements having manned walls and guard towers) yet comparatively less deadly. Also culturally close tribes often fought not to kill the opponents but to hold them hostage.

Ranged weapons (javelins, bows) were used to also to a great effect, but as you correctly pointed out - it took a skill. You werent able to efficiently kill or win tournaments after single afternoon operating ak-47.
Russelmain

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 06:58:27 AM

Swords and axes are good for the purpose of posing for photos, but in practical situations they are useless (especially if your enemy owns an assault rifle). Personally, I don't own a gun. But I would feel more secure and safe, if I could get hold of one of them.
Grant I will agree with you in a that plan, that with a shooting-iron feel safer. Only before to give out permission on his use, it is needed more careful to check up a man.
degaga15

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 12:36:38 PM

Ever since history was recorded for the first time by our ancestors in caves. Men stood above others with their tools. Perhaps we elevated those tools as they did elevate us.

As an alchemical symbol the sword is a symbol of purification. Here we experience the metaphorical sword cleanly piercing the spiritual soul of man. This symbolic action sacrifices physical bondage to release a path to ethereal (enlightened) freedom.

In Buddhism the sword symbolism deals with discrimination of thought. In this light, swords cut away ignorance.

The swords of the Congo tribe in Central Africa are deeply symbolic of transition.

In Chinese symbolism dreams of swords indicate birth gender.

Freud would have us believe the sword in our dreams is a phallic symbol.

FOCUS: Please, do you share your opinion on meaning of handheld weapons. Perhaps share your favourite one (factory made assault rifles, nukes and aircraft carriers, while admirable piece of technology, do not count). How do they make you feel? Do you believe men should feel comfortable with them?

I am very fond of any weapon if sword and weapon, but in my country is prohibited to carry weapons or the like, sword is good, more cool because it is comfortable in grasp and very hard to use, but for today many people use piatol because the range can be far about Targets, ancient example, the knights wielded swords for battle, the knights templar. Weapons used in the modern era.
mvidetto

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 01:21:00 PM

The best weapon of all the time in a whole worldwide history are intelligence and communication.
Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 01:21:58 PM

Swords and axes are good for the purpose of posing for photos, but in practical situations they are useless (especially if your enemy owns an assault rifle). Personally, I don't own a gun. But I would feel more secure and safe, if I could get hold of one of them.
Grant I will agree with you in a that plan, that with a shooting-iron feel safer. Only before to give out permission on his use, it is needed more careful to check up a man.
No checks when selling guns to people will protect you from the fact that these weapons will be directed against you. If you do this it will be easier if the weapon is legal it will quickly find its owner. Can a person from stress to disrupt the psyche at any time. But I still advocate that every person should be able to defend themselves with weapons.

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
helars2008

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 02:37:45 PM

I really like katanas...
Because they are made with great conviction and dedication by master swordsmith...
If you follow the painful process of making one you will truly understand why katanas are so beautiful...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: