Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:23:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old offline wallet.dat files  (Read 723 times)
noedaRDH (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 08:04:07 PM

I've created a few offline wallet.dat files back in summer of 2011. I've been adding coins to them (through pools) since then but I've never used them online with any bitcoin clients.

Am I safe? Am I able to access the coins later on for use? Or should I be regularly resyncing the wallets, even if I'm not spending the coins?

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 08:18:12 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, re-syncing the wallets won't do anything but open you up to possible theft.

All syncing does is reaffirm that your wallet balance (as your client sees it) is the same as its balance as the block chain sees it.

So if you've been sending them to the right address, they'll be there.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 08:23:32 PM

I've created a few offline wallet.dat files back in summer of 2011. I've been adding coins to them (through pools) since then but I've never used them online with any bitcoin clients.

Am I safe? Am I able to access the coins later on for use? Or should I be regularly resyncing the wallets, even if I'm not spending the coins?

The Bitcoin client back then didn't have passphrase encryption, so that means you want to be very careful with that wallet.dat.

Some might suggest using an offline computer and bringing over a more recent Bitcoin-Qt client to do the passphrase encryption before taking that wallet.dat over to another, connected computer.   

Or to use Armory on the offline computer which provides a secure method for spending.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

noedaRDH (OP)

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:30:24 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, re-syncing the wallets won't do anything but open you up to possible theft.

All syncing does is reaffirm that your wallet balance (as your client sees it) is the same as its balance as the block chain sees it.

So if you've been sending them to the right address, they'll be there.

Alright thanks. I guess I won't need to touch those wallets, ever, until I want to send the coins away.

noedaRDH (OP)

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:31:03 PM

The Bitcoin client back then didn't have passphrase encryption, so that means you want to be very careful with that wallet.dat.

Some might suggest using an offline computer and bringing over a more recent Bitcoin-Qt client to do the passphrase encryption before taking that wallet.dat over to another, connected computer.   

Or to use Armory on the offline computer which provides a secure method for spending.

Yeah I'll encrypt the wallet on an old laptop prior to bringing the files onto a computer with live internet access.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: