Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:58:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Arbitrage: have you ever tried and how much have you earned so far?  (Read 2324 times)
BrewMaster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 04:38:07 PM

these days i keep seeing a lot of topics and comments in this board talking about arbitrage trading.
so i am curious to know how many of you have ever tried it for real, as in trading and making profit not just on paper.

and also how much profit did you make?

There is a FOMO brewing...
lucygreen

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:09:15 PM

What's the difference between trading and arbitrage trading in crypto context?
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:22:53 PM

I have tried it once with altcoins a long time ago. I bought UltraCoin through Mintpal at around 5000 satoshi as as soon as I noticed a buy order of around 1 BTC worth of UltraCoins at 8000 satoshi on Cryptsy, but.... Cryptsy didn't post my deposit even after hours and hours of waiting, and a huge load of confirmations (not sure whether or not it was done on purpose, but it was definitely strange). Result -- I barely managed to break even. After that I have never ever used Cryptsy again. It was also the end of arbitrage trading for me.
FractalUniverse

Activity: 1034
Merit: 558

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:56:32 PM

i was doing it for a while when i was starting with bitcoin, but stopped years ago. it wasn't worth it. I actually lost more than i gained, but it was because of exchanges scams or hackings (best arbing opportunities were on low liquidity small exchanges).

also it requires more funds spread through several exchanges. But doing it manualy today is not worth it imo. there are bots for doing this.
cipherer

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 07:36:21 PM

Arbitrage is possible with volatility, but the transaction costs have negative value, so you have to be succesful if you want to earn on the long term.
amaral1977

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 08:24:37 PM

I like the concept very much and tried once or twice with some profit... the problem nowadays are the long transactions time. you can loose your window. However as i believe in BTC even if i buy and cant sell, i believe in a while you recover your loss.

██████████ 
        ██████████████████ 
      ██████████▌▐██████████ 
    ██████ ████▌  ▐████ ██████ 
   ██████  ▐██▀    ▀██▌  ██████ 
  ██████  ▌ █▄▄█  █▄▄█ ▐  ██████ 
 ██████▌ ▐██████  ██████▌ ▐██████ 
 ██████  ███████  ███████  ██████ 
 █████▌  ██▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀██  ▐█████ 
 █████                      █████ 
  █████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████▄▄▄▄▄█████ 
   ████████████▌  ▐████████████ 
    ████████████▌▐████████████ 
      ██████████████████████ 
        ██████████████████ 
            ██████████ 

█████████
█████████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████████
█████████

EXCHANGES 

CREX24GRAVIEXBITEBTC

█████████
█████████
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
      ███
█████████
█████████
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 10:46:44 PM

I had a few good shots where the price difference between BTC-E and Bitstamp was like $70 at the time the price was still below the $1000 mark.

I used that opportunity to buy 4BTC at BTC-E and sell them at Bitstamp within 2 hours. I must however note that the difference went down to around $60, but it was still a good profit for me.

After fees I ended up with around $230 in profits, which for me is a more than decent profit considering it took me just 2 hours. That's my highest arbitrage profit.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Harry Callahan

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 10:57:51 PM

Doing arbitrage is a good way to earn a small amount of profit and i was very much active in spreading my investments in many different sites,but the problem now is that many sites delay their withdrawals which makes it impossible to make any good profit as i had my losses and had to wait for a longer time to get my returns ,so i stopped doing arbitrage until everything settles down with the exchanges.
Markley

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 11:03:46 PM

the price of ETH is usually about 5 dollars less on gemini than it is on gdax/coinbase, not sure if it's viable but it sure seems like a good arbitrage opportunity. would like to know if someone tries it out
iqlimasyadiqa
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 01:55:24 AM

these days i keep seeing a lot of topics and comments in this board talking about arbitrage trading.
so i am curious to know how many of you have ever tried it for real, as in trading and making profit not just on paper.

This concept is like when buying bitcoin on one exchange and then selling it on other exchange which has much higher price rates. I've tried it and it's profitable, but now doing things like this is getting harder. Because sometimes there are restrictions and regulations issued by the exchange to avoid this. Now arbit is not popular enough, the majority of traders focus and concentrate on trading. They think that trading on an exchange will be more profitable and easy to do.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 02:15:58 AM

This is now easy to do with litecion (LTC) because it confirms hella fast and with very low transaction fees.

Just use big and well-known exchanges like poloniex or bittrex. Ive been doing this since segwit was activated for LTC. Been profitable.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
DancingbearPH

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:51:37 AM

yeah I had some luck with LTC arbitrage between Kraken and Bittrex
xypos

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 07:10:56 AM

I've tried it only once. It was with Lisk. It was a while ago, i think i bought in from bittrex and sold on poloniex and took advantage of the price differential. However arbitrage with altcoins are extremely rare these days.

I've tried also with VPNcoin, people were selling vpncoin for like 0.00002 BTC but on yobit there was tons of buy orders at over 0.0001. Shocked me at first and quickly bought 0.1 BTC worth of VPNcoin. But only after i bought it i realised all yobit deposits were closed, meaning that i had to cop a loss of over 0.02 btc due to the spread Sad
Razzoel

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 07:30:52 AM

I tried it with BTC once. I made a little bit of money but most of my profits were eaten by transaction fees since I didn't have much volume. Personally its not for me. I'd rather trade with trends but I know people who have had decent success with doing arbitrage across different exchanges.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 09:31:47 AM

i searched a lot for bitcoin arbitrage but was never able to find a good enough opportunity to want to try it.

but i have tried altcoin arbitrage.
i can really call it profitable, because the risk is high with all these broken altcoin blockchains but i made some small amount of profit.
i think it is not worth the risk to do it unless the amount you are risking is not that big but the profit is huge.
something like a 0.1BTC risk with >30% profit is what i'm talking about.

--looking for signature--
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 09:51:47 AM

I do it occasionally, but it's not that it yields me an insane amount of profit. Point is that you should calculate the risks of seeing the arbitrage opportunity vanish due to someone else taking advantage of it, or that it shrinks naturally. Important to realize is that you need to take the following into consideration;

I only trade Bitcoin, so that's why I use that as an example.

0.5 - You need to have enough funds on the cheaper exchange to begin with.
1 - You cash out the coins you bought to your own wallet, which requires you to wait for that 1 confirmation.
2 - You deposit these coins to the exchange with the premium, which requires you to wait for 3 confirmations.
3 - Sell your coins to fiat, and have the money sent to your bank account.
4 - From your bank account you send these funds back to your main exchange.

It's not as easy as things might look. If I look at my highest ever arbitrage trade, then it should be in the range close to $1000. Profit looks nice, but it's quite a hassle at the same time, as it takes days before I have the funds back on my main exchange.
panzerdeni

Activity: 53

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 10:21:22 AM

What's the difference between trading and arbitrage trading in crypto context?

Arbitrage is Buying Cheap from A and selling at B for higher price then get the money to A. This is the easiest way to enplane it.
Trading is selling when the price is high and buying when is low, and so on and on.
Arbitrage you need to calculate the fees for exchanging + fees for deposit and withdraw.
For trading is only fees for the exchange in the moment.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 07:47:56 PM

I used to do this with an open source arbitrage client I had found and adjusted, I think it's still up for download on Github.
I basically stopped doing this when the prices became less volatile and I lost some money due to certain exchanges shutting down.

Look on Github for Bitcoin arbitrage bot, I think there are still some options there.

litaf

Activity: 51

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 12:27:27 AM

I used to do this with an open source arbitrage client I had found and adjusted, I think it's still up for download on Github.
I basically stopped doing this when the prices became less volatile and I lost some money due to certain exchanges shutting down.

Look on Github for Bitcoin arbitrage bot, I think there are still some options there.
I tried some arbitrage bots but I have never made any money off of them. I guess I dont have the coding finesse to get them to become profitable. Old school investing and trading is more suitable for me i guess.
cipherer

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 01:51:45 PM

I tried some arbitrage bots but I have never made any money off of them. I guess I dont have the coding finesse to get them to become profitable. Old school investing and trading is more suitable for me i guess.

I think for arbitrage rhe market will have to grow substantially.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: