Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:49:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 380 - overheating vram? - Need help  (Read 485 times)
Heimer (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:57:11 PM

Hello guys.

I'm new here, but I'm reading this forum from couple weeks. Because of this forum I started my own journey into Crypto Currencies world.

I bought used (but it still got 1,5y warranty) R9 380 Strix 2gb couple weeks ago and i started mining (couple hours a day and a few nights). I treat this mainly as a hobby, mining only Zcash (cards produce about 180 sols/s at stock clocks) and in the meantime learn about awesomeness of cryptos in general. I used MSI Afterburner as a hardware monitor and i settled a little more aggressive fan curve. Reading was fine, car under full load (mining or gaming in general) run at 65C at 40% fan speed. But I was curious what could be power draw. So i downloaded GPU-Z which didnt show anything different than MSI) and HWinfo. I was totally shocked when I saw 87C on Vram sensor. I immediately turn down miner, speed up fans and started thinking what should I do.
Vram is idling at 72C, during light task (ie watching movie). Is this could be a failure in sensor (vrams in theory should produce low heat)? My case is Phanteks Enthoo Pro, so airflow souldnt be a problem, PSU is Corsair RM650x.

Can you guys help me out? I dont think that mining/gaming on this card is safe in general (and I dont want to run fans at full speed all the time).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:14:57 PM

First things first, VRMs apparenty can handle much higher temps than the core itself so 90°C is fine by some. But I don't believe that.

I used to have a bunch of Asus GTX 780 Ti cards with ~91°C VRM temps which I could get down to about ~84°C. What I did was I bought a couple of thermal pads and put them on the VRMs so they were connected to the heatsinks through the pads, because otherwise there were no connection by default. I still think that specific Asus design was faulty.

I had Gigabyte 780 Ti's as well, but while they had no temperature sensor in their VRM, as per a cheap IR gun they were much cooler as they made contact to the heatsink by design.

So if it worries you, based on the design, I would buy some cheap thermal pads to put between the VRM and the heatsink.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 06:32:15 PM

Hello guys.

I'm new here, but I'm reading this forum from couple weeks. Because of this forum I started my own journey into Crypto Currencies world.

I bought used (but it still got 1,5y warranty) R9 380 Strix 2gb couple weeks ago and i started mining (couple hours a day and a few nights). I treat this mainly as a hobby, mining only Zcash (cards produce about 180 sols/s at stock clocks) and in the meantime learn about awesomeness of cryptos in general. I used MSI Afterburner as a hardware monitor and i settled a little more aggressive fan curve. Reading was fine, car under full load (mining or gaming in general) run at 65C at 40% fan speed. But I was curious what could be power draw. So i downloaded GPU-Z which didnt show anything different than MSI) and HWinfo. I was totally shocked when I saw 87C on Vram sensor. I immediately turn down miner, speed up fans and started thinking what should I do.
Vram is idling at 72C, during light task (ie watching movie). Is this could be a failure in sensor (vrams in theory should produce low heat)? My case is Phanteks Enthoo Pro, so airflow souldnt be a problem, PSU is Corsair RM650x.

Can you guys help me out? I dont think that mining/gaming on this card is safe in general (and I dont want to run fans at full speed all the time).
I think VRAM could handle about 125°C. You could buy heatsink for them, on ebay or aliexpress they are pretty cheap and thermal paste. Check for memory errors if they are hot it start getting memory errors or it happens to my RX 480 Asus Dual.

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
Heimer (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 07:46:52 PM

Thanks guys.

The highest temp that I saw was about 99C when playing Crysis.

About this thermopads, where I shuld put them?:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_380X_Strix/images/front.jpg
Vizierx
Copper Member

Activity: 194
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 08:05:23 PM

I have some cards as you mentioned - and VRM is hot too - past summer i saw about 104 in peak heat, i set 65watt fun set directly on them and that help a little.
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 08:10:34 PM

The lack of a thermal connection between the heat sink and RAM is often more of an issue than VRM cooling.
http://nerdralph.blogspot.ca/2017/01/hot-video-cards.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: