Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:19:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Model B for use with Bitcoin  (Read 11757 times)
elrodvoss (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 08:47:03 PM

Afternoon,

I bought a Raspberry Pi for the purpose of install the Slush proxy for Stratum and to also run the BFL miners when they come in.  I know that I can use MinerPeon when the BFL miners come in, but I have been trying various different distros to get the proxy to work.

I have tried straight Linux destros, Tiny, and Raspberry Pi specific.  None seem to install correctly.  Now mind you my linux is limited to what I learned to use BAMT, but I would like to believe that I have tried it correctly.

If anyone else has tried to use a Raspberry Pi for this purpose I would like to hear from you and see if you can help me.  Or if your are good with various Linux or good with the Slush Proxy.

The intent is to have a nice small footprint system running everything.  I know in the future that I wont need the proxy since the GPU rings will be outdated in time, but I would still like to run them as long as they are profitable.

Any help would be apprciated.

Thanks

-Elrodvoss

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 08:59:37 PM

I thought about the Raspberry Pi, but then I thought, "Why not use linux on a tablet like a Nexus 7?" That's what I'm looking to do. Just get a USB "OTG" cable for USB interface, install Linux, and run it that way. I know it's a little off topic, but anyway, that's what I'm hoping to do. Even smaller footprint; no need for extra power cable, since it charges off the USB input; no need for separate screen; ultra-low power consumption. Built-in wifi; no need for mouse or keyboard...

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
elrodvoss (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:24:53 AM

Interesting idea. 

Though the 8GB Nexus 7 is about 160-180 used, the PI may be cheaper, but it could be argued that the Nexus 7 would be more powerful.

It would be interesting to see if a Nexus 7 would work in that way.  It would make it very useful.  Though I would like to see if you could run multiple USB Rigs on a single Nexus 7.

Interesting idea, but I would still like to get the PI working as intended and see how it works for this purpose.

tony_357

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 05:50:16 AM

We are putting together a Raspberry Pi - FPGA mining platform.

Our thought is :
 - Raspberry Pi provides command/control/status (as well as initial configuration of the) FPGA's
 - FPGA's run fully pipelined, unrolled SHA256
 - up to 4 FPGA cards per Raspberry Pi (2 FPGA's / card = 8 FPGA's per Raspberry Pi)
 - each FPGA card should be capable of 1000-1200 MHash/sec

Each FPGA card consists of :
 - 2 Cyclone V - A9 parts (301K LC each / 602K LC total)
 - clock speed should be between 250-300 MHz (as we're using Cyclone V - 28 nm Altera technology)

Our web site is :  http://www.raspberrycoins.com

The Pi is small, low power, and since it's running Linux/Unix should be quite stable.  Since the Pi's can easily be networked using ethernet, this means you have an ability to scale.  Our belief is this unit will be quite power efficient (being an FPGA, but also at 28 nm, we're more power efficient and higher speed than last generation tech.)

FPGA technology means this system might be able to be retargeted for other purposes in the future, by downloading
a new bitstream.

Best Regards,

Tony
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:47:00 AM

Our thought is :
 - Raspberry Pi provides command/control/status (as well as initial configuration of the) FPGA's
 - FPGA's run fully pipelined, unrolled SHA256
 - up to 4 FPGA cards per Raspberry Pi (2 FPGA's / card = 8 FPGA's per Raspberry Pi)
 - each FPGA card should be capable of 1000-1200 MHash/sec

Each FPGA card consists of :
 - 2 Cyclone V - A9 parts (301K LC each / 602K LC total)
 - clock speed should be between 250-300 MHz (as we're using Cyclone V - 28 nm Altera technology)

Our web site is :  http://www.raspberrycoins.com

The Pi is small, low power, and since it's running Linux/Unix should be quite stable.  Since the Pi's can easily be networked using ethernet, this means you have an ability to scale.  Our belief is this unit will be quite power efficient (being an FPGA, but also at 28 nm, we're more power efficient and higher speed than last generation tech.)

FPGA technology means this system might be able to be retargeted for other purposes in the future, by downloading
a new bitstream.

Best Regards,

Tony

it looks so cool - can't wait for it.)
superfry

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:55:03 AM

Wow, would love to pick one up when they are ready.
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:49:28 PM

MinerPeon uses Arch Linux.
Did you try to install your proxy on top of Minepeon?

[...]
Tony, you might want to announce your product in the Custom hardware forum.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
kramble

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 04:02:27 PM

I'm running the slush proxy on a wheezy distribution that came pre-installed on a memory card I bought with my pi-B

pi@raspberrypi ~/stratum/stratum-mining-proxy-master $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi ~/stratum/stratum-mining-proxy-master $ head /tmp/stratum.log
2013-04-30 00:18:26,973 INFO proxy jobs.<module> # C extension for midstate not available. Using default implementation instead.
2013-04-30 00:18:27,032 INFO proxy mining_proxy.main # Stratum proxy version: 1.1.2
2013-04-30 00:18:27,034 INFO proxy mining_proxy.main # Trying to connect to Stratum pool at stratum.btcguild.com:3333

I didn't make any notes at the time I installed it, but I'm pretty sure I just followed the instructions in the readme.md

Not sure if I can offer any help (I don't want to fiddle with my current setup to try a reinstall), but I thought you'd like to know that it does work.

Github https://github.com/kramble BLC BkRaMaRkw3NeyzsZ2zUgXsNLogVVkQ1iPV
elrodvoss (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 08:51:10 PM

I'm running the slush proxy on a wheezy distribution that came pre-installed on a memory card I bought with my pi-B

pi@raspberrypi ~/stratum/stratum-mining-proxy-master $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi ~/stratum/stratum-mining-proxy-master $ head /tmp/stratum.log
2013-04-30 00:18:26,973 INFO proxy jobs.<module> # C extension for midstate not available. Using default implementation instead.
2013-04-30 00:18:27,032 INFO proxy mining_proxy.main # Stratum proxy version: 1.1.2
2013-04-30 00:18:27,034 INFO proxy mining_proxy.main # Trying to connect to Stratum pool at stratum.btcguild.com:3333

I didn't make any notes at the time I installed it, but I'm pretty sure I just followed the instructions in the readme.md

Not sure if I can offer any help (I don't want to fiddle with my current setup to try a reinstall), but I thought you'd like to know that it does work.

Do you happen to know which Wheezy you are using?

There is Raspbian “wheezy” and Soft-float Debian “wheezy”.

Im assuming its the Raspbian Wheezy.

ill play with it later on today.  See if I can fight my way through it all.  Thanks confirming that it does work as intended.  Just linux stupid.

elrodvoss (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:26:20 PM

This is at the end of the string when setup ends
Error:  setup script exited with error:  command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

This is error I get when I run it.

like 63, in <module> from twisted.internet improt reactor, defer
importerror:  No module named twisted.internet

REF

Activity: 529

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 09:47:46 PM

I thought about the Raspberry Pi, but then I thought, "Why not use linux on a tablet like a Nexus 7?" That's what I'm looking to do. Just get a USB "OTG" cable for USB interface, install Linux, and run it that way. I know it's a little off topic, but anyway, that's what I'm hoping to do. Even smaller footprint; no need for extra power cable, since it charges off the USB input; no need for separate screen; ultra-low power consumption. Built-in wifi; no need for mouse or keyboard...
Hi,
can you provide some more detail on how would this work? I love the fact you dont need an extra monitor and that it has built in wifi. What do you mean no extra power cable? The only thing I can think of is using a USB power Hub. tablet -> usb "otg" cable -> double sided usb cable -> usb power hub. Then have my bfl miners connected to the USB power hub too.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:47:18 PM

This is at the end of the string when setup ends
Error:  setup script exited with error:  command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

This is error I get when I run it.

like 63, in <module> from twisted.internet improt reactor, defer
importerror:  No module named twisted.internet

I'm not sure what the slush proxy is.  But since you say you're not too experienced I'll ask the obvious question -- are gcc and all essentials installed?  If I have some time and can find this slush proxy I can see how it goes to install.  I just have bfg miner right now installed on my raspberry pi (debian wheezy).

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 10:53:14 PM

https://github.com/slush0/stratum-mining-proxy

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 02:26:52 AM

Hmm it installed smoothly for me (just real slow as is everything on the raspberry pi).  The twisted error is some sort of python module it's trying to download.  Is it able to download any other modules before it?  It could just be the twisted mirror was down earlier?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
elrodvoss (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 01:47:00 PM

Here is a cut and paste from the install.  I deleted out the directory and started over.  I did do the python install just incase.  The following text does not include the python install:

***Beginning***
sudo python setup.py install
/home/pi/slush0-stratum-mining-proxy-7b5c080/distribute_setup.py:139: UserWarning: Module distribute_setup was already imported from /home/pi/slush0-stratum-mining-proxy-7b5c080/distribute_setup.py, but /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/stratum-0.2.12-py2.7.egg is being added to sys.path
  import pkg_resources
running install
Checking .pth file support in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/
/usr/bin/python -E -c pass
TEST PASSED: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ appears to support .pth files
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
creating stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info
writing requirements to stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/requires.txt
writing stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
writing manifest file 'stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
reading manifest file 'stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
writing manifest file 'stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
installing library code to build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg
running install_lib
running build_py
creating build
creating build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7
creating build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/client_service.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/getwork_listener.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/jobs.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/midstate.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/multicast_responder.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/stratum_listener.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/utils.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/version.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
copying mining_libs/worker_registry.py -> build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs
creating build/bdist.linux-armv6l
creating build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg
creating build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/multicast_responder.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/__init__.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/version.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/jobs.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/client_service.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/getwork_listener.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/midstate.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/utils.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/stratum_listener.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
copying build/lib.linux-armv6l-2.7/mining_libs/worker_registry.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/multicast_responder.py to multicast_responder.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/__init__.py to __init__.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/version.py to version.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/jobs.py to jobs.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/client_service.py to client_service.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/getwork_listener.py to getwork_listener.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/midstate.py to midstate.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/utils.py to utils.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/stratum_listener.py to stratum_listener.pyc
byte-compiling build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/mining_libs/worker_registry.py to worker_registry.pyc
creating build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO
installing scripts to build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO/scripts
running install_scripts
running build_scripts
creating build/scripts-2.7
copying and adjusting mining_proxy.py -> build/scripts-2.7
changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/mining_proxy.py from 644 to 755
creating build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO/scripts
copying build/scripts-2.7/mining_proxy.py -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO/scripts
changing mode of build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/mining_proxy.py to 755
copying stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/PKG-INFO -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO
copying stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/SOURCES.txt -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO
copying stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/dependency_links.txt -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO
copying stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/requires.txt -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO
copying stratum_mining_proxy.egg-info/top_level.txt -> build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg/EGG-INFO
zip_safe flag not set; analyzing archive contents...
creating dist
creating 'dist/stratum_mining_proxy-1.5.2-py2.7.egg' and adding 'build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg' to it
removing 'build/bdist.linux-armv6l/egg' (and everything under it)
Processing stratum_mining_proxy-1.5.2-py2.7.egg
removing '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/stratum_mining_proxy-1.5.2-py2.7.egg' (and everything under it)
creating /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/stratum_mining_proxy-1.5.2-py2.7.egg
Extracting stratum_mining_proxy-1.5.2-py2.7.egg to /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
stratum-mining-proxy 1.5.2 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
Installing mining_proxy.py script to /usr/local/bin

Installed /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/stratum_mining_proxy-1.5.2-py2.7.egg
Processing dependencies for stratum-mining-proxy==1.5.2
Searching for twisted>=12.2.0
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/twisted/
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/
Reading http://www.twistedmatrix.com
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/products/download
Reading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/9.0/
Reading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/10.0/
Reading http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/
Reading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/8.2/
Reading http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/Twisted/8.1/
Best match: Twisted 13.0.0
Downloading https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/T/Twisted/Twisted-13.0.0.tar.bz2#md5=68afff4e1efd3757d934e39f70c99f57
Processing Twisted-13.0.0.tar.bz2
Writing /tmp/easy_install-ME_WW1/Twisted-13.0.0/setup.cfg
Running Twisted-13.0.0/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-ME_WW1/Twisted-13.0.0/egg-dist-tmp-anF8kG
twisted/runner/portmap.c:10:20: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
***End***

I hope this helps anyone figure out what is going wrong.  If he helps im using the raspbian wheezy download from www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 05:58:50 PM

whenever you're missing a .h file you should look for any missing dev packages
try this:

sudo apt-get install python-dev

and please add a password to your pi account (actually you should make another account and disable ssh access to pi)

billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:58:53 PM

I don't know how useful this will be to you folks, but my experiences with pi-b's makes me inclined to warn of sd card corruption. If you get this up and running, IMAGE THE SD CARD ASAP!! You wont regret it.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
elrodvoss (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:46:13 PM

I don't know how useful this will be to you folks, but my experiences with pi-b's makes me inclined to warn of sd card corruption. If you get this up and running, IMAGE THE SD CARD ASAP!! You wont regret it.

Ya I learned that with BAMT and USB sticks a while ago.

elrodvoss (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:47:45 PM

whenever you're missing a .h file you should look for any missing dev packages
try this:

sudo apt-get install python-dev

and please add a password to your pi account (actually you should make another account and disable ssh access to pi)

Here is the result that I got:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install python-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libexpat1-dev libssl-dev libssl-doc python2.7-dev
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libexpat1-dev libssl-dev libssl-doc python-dev python2.7-dev
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,699 kB/31.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 42.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libssl-dev armhf 1.0.1c-4+rpi1
  404  Not Found
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libssl-doc all 1.0.1c-4+rpi1
  404  Not Found
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main python-dev all 2.7.3~rc2-1
  404  Not Found
Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl-dev_1.0.1c-4+rpi1_armhf.deb  404  Not Found
Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl-doc_1.0.1c-4+rpi1_all.deb  404  Not Found
Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/p/python-defaults/python-dev_2.7.3~rc2-1_all.deb  404  Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
pi@raspberrypi ~ $

cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 10:24:29 PM

run sudo apt-get update to make sure you're getting everything from the right place.

(and good tip about imaging the SD-card, I had my first one corrupted, I'll go do that right now)

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: