Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:14:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Promotion: National Radio Show Interview about Bitcoin  (Read 6866 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 11:17:36 PM

Here is the page for the show:   http://goo.gl/FOecU

As soon as they get the MP3 uploaded from this morning's show, it will show a PLAYER and DOWNLOAD links... for the MP3 file.

Think that they might get around to it today?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 11:53:20 PM

This is why we need an automated bitcoin service for new people :p Where they can download their online wallets and shut down their accounts if they wish.
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 02:06:08 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2010, 02:16:12 AM by brucewagner

Correction....  (they changed the url once they uploaded the mp3)

The Show Page:   http://goo.gl/mCks0

My Dropbox copy of the MP3  (right-click, then Save Link As):   http://goo.gl/eB6Sd  

Yes, as you'll hear during the actual show, Patrick asked me to set up a Bitcoin address for him to add to his site for Donation/Tip Jar.  I will do that now.  There.  I just did it.  And I just emailed him and told him to add this to his web site:

One Radio Network also accepts donations via Bitcoin digital currency.  (see http://bitcoinme.com for details)

Donations / Tip Jar  via Bitcoin: 1JaED4za1vB9B7EeDZaJkAB1n22NzAtBAh  

I also sent him the login credentials to his MyBitcoin account and told him to change the password now.  Smiley

I'll add his show to the http://bitcoinaddress.com directory now.  

Be sure to click the DIGG link to Digg it too.  The more publicity, the better.

Please tell me what you think of the show as soon as you're done listening to it.....    Smiley

Also, might I suggest that you send Patrick Timpone at least one Bitcoin right now.  Ed and I are going to send him 800 Bitcoin...   We want to get him excited about it....  We know he will start talking about it more and more and more...   Smiley
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 03:20:59 AM

Wow, you have the hardest job in the world...

To explain bitcoin.

bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 03:28:37 AM

Dont send the 800 at once break it up to smaller but more frequent donations.

da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 03:55:23 AM

Bitcoin is one of those concepts that you just 'get' but it takes a bit of a intellectual jump to get there.  I find it hard to explain to my friends also.

@Bruce,  I just listened to your interview about bitcoin, you did a really good job! I’ll send a few BTC over to www.oneradionetwork.com once they have it all setup.

One off NP-Hard.
farmer_boy

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 04:04:58 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2010, 05:46:13 AM by farmer_boy

800 Bitcoin.
How many bitcoins do you have? Or are you just generous?

I think the website looks very unreliable, btw. Checking out the interview, now...

If I were a Wikipedian with something against Bitcoin, I would point that out in any discussion about notability. If you can get Assange to say in some interview that he is going to accept Bitcoin, I think you have hit the jackpot, though, with regard to notability.

Then again, Wikipedia might make it into "terrorist gets paid using terrorist virtual money". Oh, wait, that's Fox News.  

Edit: ok, I just heard it. I think you communicate well. I have no idea how a normal person would understand what you said (because I am not the audience), but I think your analogies were pretty good (the one with the markers comes to mind). I had the prejudice that the radioguy would be a total nut job, but he had non-commercial radio voice and did a good effort to follow you and you could sort of hear his experience with radio making.

The next time you do this, I would not mention the "sharing of ideas and God"-part. It's irrelevant and it makes you look like a hippie. If I may suggest an analogy: Stopping sharing of information is like making making water not wet.

My reflection: I didn't learn anything new about Bitcoin (nor did I expect to), but it was fascinating to hear someone talk on the radio about currency in this abstract way saying federal reserve notes instead of assuming there is only one currency in the world (the US dollar). I don't think I have ever heard someone in my country doing that. This notion of talking about the US dollar in this way already devalues it, I think.  

So, other than these minor points, I would say you did a very good job.  Smiley
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 05:13:47 AM

Dont send the 800 at once break it up to smaller but more frequent donations.

Thanks.  Yes, I think we will do both.  800 as one transaction... then smaller donations on a regular basis.  I know he'll get excited when he sees these coming in.   Also, I know he'll start mentioning Bitcoin regularly.   I bet anything that he'll be discussing Bitcoin with Andy Gause on his show Saturday (Dec 4)...  I highly recommend listening in to that show too!

By the way, Patrick Timpone's OneRadioNetwork.com site is pretty ugly...  He knows that.   He's not technical.  However, his site is being completely redesigned.   It's almost ready.   So, hopefully, the new site will be much more professional-looking.  Smiley

But the main point is his show.  He has a very large following of loyal listeners.   Including Ed and I.

A LOT was said during this interview....  so listen to the whole thing...  then let me know what you think.

NOTE:   Listen to the WHOLE hour.   There's a point, 30 minutes in, where he does some commercials, and it sounds almost like he's moved on to the next guest...  But that's just a commercial...  Keep listening to the whole hour!   Smiley
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 08:18:06 AM

Is it just me, or does he call mtgox "MOUNT COCKS" at 30:27?  Shocked
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 08:52:19 AM

Is it just me, or does he call mtgox "MOUNT COCKS" at 30:27?  Shocked

Trust you to notice that  Grin  Madhatter you got a pretty good rap in the interview!

One off NP-Hard.
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 09:06:03 AM

I actually *just* got to 1:00 and heard the email about "The Madhatter". Haha!

Great... now I have cops at my door... again... Tongue j/k
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 09:34:50 AM

thank you Bruce
for doing a great job promoting bitcoin.

i'd still like to see some proof for the tokyo-story though,
i thought Satoshi is a superhero (alien maybe?) living in his supersecret-offshore-cryptocave.  Cheesy

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 09:42:20 AM

i'd still like to see some proof for the tokyo-story though,
i thought Satoshi is a superhero (alien maybe?) living in his supersecret-offshore-cryptocave.  Cheesy

"cryptocave" is a funny word once you consider the ethymologic meaning of "crypt".

Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 10:25:57 AM

Yes, he definitely calls it Mt Cox at one point ...  then he proceeds to spell it right... "M T G O X dot com"   Funny.   My friends were calling me and laughing out loud.  Smiley

As for "the Tokyo story"...   Since that was my first understanding...  I thought that sounded a lot better than, "It was created by a super secret mystery man named after a super hero."  Smiley

That would give the average listener a lot of confidence about putting money into Bitcoin...  Smiley

Madhatter was plugged. MtGox was plugged.  MyBitcoin was plugged a
(as the recommended way for total newbies to "get a Bitcoin address in 6 seconds".   And BitcoinGateway was plugged (as the way to buy Bitcoin using MasterCard or Visa.   I even plugged the Forum and you all.  Smiley

Did I say anything inaccurate, or misleading, or confusing?

I tried not to "make their heads explode"...  LOL
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 01:51:45 PM

I just listened to this intereview.  BTW, you did a really good job, especially once you got going.  If you ever get a chance to talk about this again, you might want to come up with an "elevator story", aka explain the key parts of whatever it is that you want to "sell" in less than 30 seconds.

One HUGE mistake you've made here is to suggest that there is no cost for transactions.  That really isn't true even if at the moment it may be the case.  The interesting thing about Bitcoins is that the transaction cost is VOLUNTARY!  You can attempt to make a transaction where you don't include transaction fees, but you can make a "donation" to the "network" with the benefit that the transaction will be "confirmed" faster.  Transaction fees do take a bit to get your head wrapped around them, but once you realize that it is a sort of tip jar for processing transactions, it makes much more sense.  It is also important to note that the latest version of the official client (0.3.17) just introduced a way to add the transaction fee (aka the "tip") into the transaction.  It is the "miner" that collects the fees.

Another thing that perhaps would be more useful to explain is the concept of a "miner".  Most of what the casual user is doing can be more compared to perhaps some of the early California gold miners in 1849 that were panning for gold where running your computer is more like dipping your prospecting pan into the river and getting perhaps a couple of dollars from finding a little bit of gold dust.  There are some people (mentioned on these forums) who are much more serious about the issue and have set up server farms and come up with specialized software like the GPU mining software which creates the "hashes" for creating new blocks.  These would be analogous to the big mining companies that later came to California to do some serious digging up of the ground.  You can run the Bitcoin client, but it really isn't going to get you all that much money and you have to be lucky.

It also didn't get across very well another concept, and that is that blocks creating new bitcoin blocks are only generated about once every 10 minutes.  To me personally, this is by far and away more important than even the 21 million BTC limit and at the moment the only real thing that is maintaining the current value of Bitcoins.  There may be mild "inflation" right now in the overall Bitcoin economy, but it is at a very controlled rate and that when a hundred thousand people come onto the network, it will become much more difficult to "generate" or "mine" new bitcoins because there will be more people trying to compete for this limited supply of new coins being generated.  At any given time, there is a current overall limit to the number of coins available by anybody.  I've argued that the 21 million BTC limit isn't necessarily important at all, but that is my own political philosophy going at the moment and it is irrelevant other than to note there are different opinions on that topic too.

It also would have been nice to mention the notion that the overall size of the Bitcoin "economy" has a net worth of more than $1 million USD.  That number comes from the total number of Bitcoins currently available multiplied by the current exchange rate.... sort of a market cap type calculation.

Anyway, those are all trivially things to nitpick about, but on the whole you at least got the idea across that there is something real going on, and that real people are "investing" real money into the concept of Bitcoins.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 02:30:02 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2010, 02:42:50 PM by creighto

Did I say anything inaccurate, or misleading, or confusing?

Although I thought it was very well done overall, I do have a few complaints.

First, you said and then repeated that the 21 million stops "by 2033", but the estimated date is about 2129, by my understanding.  But that's not even the most important part, you alluded to the decreasing block reward, but even if the system were to adopt more decimal devision than the currently available 8 places (permitting the system to continue the block reward indefinately) there can still not be more than 21 million as the reward decreases exponentially toward that limit.  It doesn't just hit that number and stop.

Second, you implied that the relationship between cpu contributions and rewards is a linear relationship, which I know you know it isn't.  I can understand that this might have made heads explode.

Third, you stated that there are no transaction costs "ever" which is false.  This shouldn't be claimed.  The transaction costs are intended to be a market controlled price, which happens to presently be zero.

And finally, it would have been better to mention that the currency is still inflating at a pretty high rate, which has a lot to do with it's low price before October, but that the system is highly predictable, and the inflation rate will be below 6% by 2013 and below ( I think) 3% two years later.  By 2020, the inflation rate will be below the target inflation rates of every central bank on Earth, and cannot rise back up again even if the system is modified to be able to continue to issue new money into an indefinite future.  Again, this might have made heads explode.  Perhaps there should be a 'geek's faq' on Bitcoinme.com.

Overall, very well done, Sir; well done indeed.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that a good analogy is to compare the blockchain to a ledger managed by a universally respected notary public.  The p2p network is the notary.  He expects to make a living, but doesn't force anyone to pay for his services; but only does charity work when his paid work is done.

Also, the SSL 128 versus Bitcoin crypto security comparison is flawed, as the purpose of each is different, but also comparing the proof-of-work crypto system to SSL 128 is about like comparing the mass of the Sun to a baseball.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 02:38:19 PM

You said that the project is supported by "world-renowned cryptographers", but I doubt anyone here is actually a cryptographer (or "world-renowned" in anything). Even Satoshi has not made any new crypto -- he just used existing tools in innovative ways.

Also, Satoshi has probably never been to Japan, and he is not known for anything except Bitcoin as far as anyone can tell.

It was an OK overview, though. The interviewer was really good -- he added a lot. It's probably as good as could have been hoped for the first-ever interview about Bitcoin.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 03:57:48 PM

Www.bitcoinme.com has crashed, perhaps the influx of the interested was too much for it?

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 04:04:10 PM

Well done Bruce,

you were quite intimidated at the beginning, but once the dialogue was instaured, it was actually a very pleasant conversation to hear.

Great promotion for the network,

PS.  It's too bad bitcoin.org was not more mentionned, though.

tyler

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2010, 04:14:39 PM

The site itself seem to be a weird... info-commercial for all the weird medicine stuff.

where is the bitcoin link?  i just see the audio interview with the doctor
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: