Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:47:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Inventor of BitTorrent Plans His Own CryptoCurrency  (Read 740 times)
bbc.reporter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1446

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 01:54:21 AM

How is the development of Burstcoin and what is the future potential of proof of capacity? The inventor of Bittorrent, Brian Cohen wants to create a cryptocoin that aims to be more efficient than bitcoin mining that will use a fusion of proof of space and proof of time.

I have not heard of proof of space and proof of time before. If anyone of you can explain, please go ahead.

Mr. Cohen’s vision for his cryptocurrency involves fusing proof-of-space and proof-of-time. Proof-of-space work when users have an interest in allocating non-trivial amounts of memory or disk space to solve a challenge presented by service providers. Proof-of-space are similar to proof-of-work. They do not, however, use CPU-bound functions.

“There are some technical issues, which adding in proofs-of-time fixes,” Mr. Cohen tells Crypto Insider over text chat, admitting the concept is difficult to explain. “The short of it is that proofs-of-time keep an attacker from making a whole new fake history instantly, a problem caused by the property that mining requires no power.”

Mr. Cohen adds: “’Proof-of-time’ refers to a sequential proof-of-work, like the old saying that one woman can make a baby in nine months, but nine women can’t make a baby in one month.”

The main idea is zero waste in mining. “One of the benefits of storage based things is there is a lot less centralization in mining, so there is less concern about a 51% attack.”

Read in full https://cryptoinsider.com/inventor-bittorrent-plans-cryptocurrency/

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 02:53:53 AM

this is an old news which has a better article here in my opinion: https://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-inventor-bram-cohen-will-start-his-own-cryptocurrency-170424/

I can't decide if this is going to be a great thing or just another person trying to get in on the ongoing hype for money making through cryptocurrencies one way or another.

Bram Cohen, is one of those rare people who are mostly into the technology rather than being in it for the money. but then he goes and says things like "I’m going to make a cryptocurrency company".
but I hope we can finally see something worthwhile that actually contributes something useful to the technology.

you can also read his presentation on proof of space and proof of time here: https://cyber.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/bramcohen.pdf

Only Bitcoin
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:29:20 AM

I've been watching TF 24/7 for a decade and i missed this news.
I am skeptical of his idea.
Reminds me a bit of the other storage based coins.

Putting the idea into solid and secure working code is an issue as large as the concept itself.

And don't forget this guy's company bought uTorrent then monetized it.
The version i use now 2.2.1 says in the about box "If you paid for it get a refund"
Bittorent inc noticed it got popular then bought it out and then fucked it up and charged money for it.
They should have left it alone !
They were jealous that their python/java faggotry was not popular.

But in a way i do side with him a bit at least he has come out against the company.
I am not dead set against him and would give him and his idea the benefit of the doubt.

I myself had my own ideas related to or from P2P here and made topics about them.
But the first thing i figured out was finding a way to make a coin that can not be *heavily* exploited is hard.

For example.. guys made coins like Prime Coin and then the miners simply rented server farms.
There always seems to be a way to exploit the coins.

If his coin was dependent on HDD space for example then what is to stop a company with lots from dominating the coins launch ?
If it becomes more economical for a storage space provider out there ..then look out !

Not everyone is a home user with limited space.

FUD first & ask questions later™
bbc.reporter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1446

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 12:25:09 AM

Bram Cohen is not known for creating something without bringing anything new. He is also an expert in distributed systems which makes his upcoming cryptocoin project worth the wait.

But what do you think of Burstcoin? Does proof of capacity really work as a more efficient and a secure enough version of proof of work? I like the idea but what I hate about Burst is it is based on NXT.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
linkybit

Activity: 560
Merit: 107

Keep Working

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 01:02:06 AM

Bram Cohen upcoming cryptocoin project worth the wait. Let see what he bring up.

|██████| | ██████SECURE AND LICENSED CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE██████ |██████| |
| INVECH |
WHITEPAPER | ANN THREAD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM | MEDIUM | INVECH |
|██████| | ███████JOIN INVECH INITIAL EXCHANGE OFFERING NOW!████████ |██████| |
Thenoticer

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 01:22:40 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2017, 01:39:49 AM by Thenoticer

In case you missed it, the bittorrent guys created zeronet as well. It's pretty interesting you should check it out.
Edit. I guess zeronet wasnt Bram.

Another article
https://steemit.com/blockchain/@ackza/bittorrent-creator-now-working-full-time-on-new-altcoin-development-this-will-be-huge-imagine-a-file-sharing-bitcoin-system-or

Since the defeat of kickass, has anyone tried to use zeronet, in particular zeronet play or zerotorrent.bit?

ZeroNet uses  BitTorrent network plus Bitcoin cryptography and but not exclusively Namecoin .bit Domains

If you haven't heard of it, Zeronet is a decentralized web client where the people visiting Zeronet sites help share and host them. There's no central servers that can be taken down, and no way to seize domains short of obtaining the keys from the owner. And even if a site is taken over, people can easily clone it and make it their own.

As of 2016 there is no way to take down a ZeroNet page which still has seeders, thus making such pages immune to DMCA takedown notices. In March 2016 it operated with a max-filesize per website of 10 megabytes, suitable for blogs, forums, and smaller torrent-sites.

Browse ZeroNet
https://proxy1.zn.kindlyfire.me/1HeLLo4uzjaLetFx6NH3PMwFP3qbRbTf3D

(Zeronet is a decentralized website hosting network that uses some blockchain cryptography)
https://zeronet.io/

https://torrentfreak.com/play-p2p-impossible-shutdown-160301/

Edit.
A good source of info
https://www.reddit.com/r/zeronet/

How to use the Decentralized Torrent Website Play
https://www.reddit.com/r/torrents/comments/4txagu/how_to_use_the_decentralized_torrent_website_play/
Thenoticer

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 02:04:57 AM

https://backchannel.com/the-inside-story-of-bittorrents-bizarre-collapse-a0766a5442d7

This is an interesting article. It details how bittorrent the tech was brilliant however Bram and company wasted millions trying to make money on it. Makes me question his new company and new product, who knows might be good though. I'll put it on my radar.
RewFrew

Activity: 574
Merit: 140

Chainjoes.com

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2017, 02:05:11 AM

Zzzzzzzzz gonna be BAT.2 ico for 100 insiders who finish in 7 seconds with 35Millions raised, then the next day posted on exchange with marketcap of 500Millions dollars to be dumped to morrons Grin

Thenoticer

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 02:08:35 AM

Zzzzzzzzz gonna be BAT.2 ico for 100 insiders who finish in 7 seconds with 35Millions raised, then the next day posted on exchange with marketcap of 500Millions dollars to be dumped to morrons Grin

Probably. Id say 99% certain it goes down like that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: