Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:35:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Caution! Pandaminers catching fire!  (Read 4606 times)
moftkhor (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:22:45 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2017, 05:56:20 PM by moftkhor

For all the miners using Pandaminer or are thinking about buying Pandaminers:

This is something you should know!

Not so long ago I've bought myself 10 Pandaminers and began mining ETH. I have ordered these together with the PSU's that were included.
About a month ago I was working on my computer when suddenly I noticed a burning smell coming from my mining racks. And went to look what was going on... One of my Pandaminers started melting at the PSU sockets.

Then today, my fire-alarm went off and when I hurried my ass to see what was going on, another Pandaminer was starting to do the very same thing!

This is what was waiting for me THE FIRST TIME:

And this is what happened with ANOTHER Pandaminer today:

So for all the miners using Pandaminer:

BE VERY CAUTIOUS!

Check your PSU wirings daily and certainly at night before going to sleep!
Fire-alarm is a good investment! It can save your house!

Personally I'm not going to work with Pandaminers anymore in the future due to earlier problems with Pandaminers arriving hugely damaged and lot's more manufacturing issues...

Anyone having an idea what would cause this wires to melt. SHOOT!
I'm thinking maybe the PSU's included in the Pandaminers are worthless...

couture

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:28:48 PM

Crikey! It's got to be just they are using crap PSUs to keep costs down

Vitnatin

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:29:48 PM

Are the PSU also damaged?
cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:35:43 PM

Its drawing to much current.

are you dual mining?
devkowow

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:39:22 PM

Nothing to do with PSU it self nothing to do with how much current system draws. You can produce flame with AA battery as well.

Looks like just faulty soldering or faulty connectors. Loss of proper connection causes open circuit > resistance closing to infinity thus current without other path will try to flow trough and heat up at point where resistance is high causing connections to catch fire. Might as well be just your own fault if you did not connect wires properly but I would go with cheap connectors used that doesn't fit together too well.
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 05:39:42 PM

Holy shit. Good thing you're alright!
moftkhor (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:40:07 PM

Are the PSU also damaged?

Only the wiring is damaged. PSU's still working but without new wiring, they are useless...

Its drawing to much current.

are you dual mining?

I'm not dualmining... Only ETH mining on the Pandaminers.
moftkhor (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:46:23 PM

Nothing to do with PSU it self nothing to do with how much current system draws. You can produce flame with AA battery as well.

Looks like just faulty soldering or faulty connectors. Loss of proper connection causes open circuit > resistance closing to infinity thus current without other path will try to flow trough and heat up at point where resistance is high causing connections to catch fire. Might as well be just your own fault if you did not connect wires properly but I would go with cheap connectors used that doesn't fit together too well.

It could be the connectors being used. I don't see any indications on the motherboard nor the PSU of any overcurrent... Connectors are all connected properly, I do pay good attention when I connect my wires.
devkowow

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:49:12 PM

Then its just cheap connectors. Try to take them to some PC repair and ask them to re-solder you new connectors.
moftkhor (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:53:30 PM

Then its just cheap connectors. Try to take them to some PC repair and ask them to re-solder you new connectors.

Already ahead of that... Gonna do it myself as soon as I find a web shop selling these types of connectors  Wink
AFox

Activity: 539
Merit: 517

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 05:54:49 PM

Reminds me of KNC Neptune.
They caught fire also : https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/knc-neptunes-burning-whats-smell-ooops-melted/

My lucky BTC address : 1LoTTerY3WYbGxVRHvh8oDudDdTxFvvqWF
Sequoia93

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:03:25 PM

I feel like all of those ports should be 8-pin, no?

If each of those ports are suppose to power a single card I'd expect to see melting connections...

edit: it looks like you have the B1s? Does that mean each of those power connections is suppose to power a 480? If so, then Pandaminer just built a time bomb  Shocked
moftkhor (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:08:05 PM

I feel like all of those ports should be 8-pin, no?

If each of those ports are suppose to power a single card I'd expect to see melting connections...

edit: it looks like you have the B1s? Does that mean each of those power connections is suppose to power a 480? If so, then Pandaminer just built a time bomb  Shocked

Yes, they are B1's with the 480 gpu's...

edit: What's weird is that several connections start melting at the same time...
Sequoia93

Activity: 116

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:15:19 PM

Trying to pull over 100w through a 6-pin is going to melt it eventually, I would not be surprised if many of them started to reach their limits around the same time. But the B1s have been out for awhile, so I'd expect to see a lot more complaints about this. I do recall seeing this happen to at least one other person maybe a month or more ago, not sure if it was a b1 or b3 though...
PanneKopp

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

aka ...

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:20:45 PM

This

is really looking bad !

I´m sorry 4 you.

Huh

P.S. this is not the fault of the PSU ^^

For all the miners using Pandaminer or are thinking about buying Pandaminers:

This is something you should know!

Not so long ago I've bought myself 10 Pandaminers and began mining ETH. I have ordered these together with the PSU's that were included.
About a month ago I was working on my computer when suddenly I noticed a burning smell coming from my mining racks. And went to look what was going on... One of my Pandaminers started melting at the PSU sockets.

Then today, my fire-alarm went off and when I hurried my ass to see what was going on, another Pandaminer was starting to do the very same thing!

This is what was waiting for me THE FIRST TIME:

And this is what happened with ANOTHER Pandaminer today:

So for all the miners using Pandaminer:

BE VERY CAUTIOUS!

Check your PSU wirings daily and certainly at night before going to sleep!
Fire-alarm is a good investment! It can save your house!

Personally I'm not going to work with Pandaminers anymore in the future due to earlier problems with Pandaminers arriving hugely damaged and lot's more manufacturing issues...

Anyone having an idea what would cause this wires to melt. SHOOT!
I'm thinking maybe the PSU's included in the Pandaminers are worthless...

... please make an educated guess !
slickster100

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:27:08 PM

I might pickup a device which could warn me when the 6 pin connectors get over a given set point temperature.  Maybe an item like this https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Alerts-926-25101-GP-Wireless-Monitor/dp/B0081UR76G/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1496427346&sr=8-9&keywords=lacrosse+wireless+thermometer  You could attach the probe to the connector and this device lets you get warnings on your phone when it exceeds the temperature you set.  I use this to monitor the miner room temperature in a detached garage and the outside air temperature.  This helps me to quickly to see the delta of inflow air temp. to exhaust, in order to make sure I have enough air exchanges in the room for maximum cooling and also to alert me if my large ceiling fan dies.  Its a paid service after 3 months I think.  I am sure there are other solutions to protect your investment short of reducing the hash and overall power usage.
onefinecoin

Activity: 94

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:41:20 PM

Damn this is dangerous. I last week I too was lucky to be around when one of my old 280x sparked and almost caught fire from the connector, i switched off the main power quickly...whats surprising is that the connector is all good, but a capacitor on the card got burned!

what scares me is, what if i was not around... !!
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2105
Merit: 1397

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 06:49:14 PM

They are using seven 6 pin connectors to power 8 GPUs + aux power. This is bound to end in this type of failure eventually. Technically there should be 16 6 pin connectors to play it safe. They used the bare minimum.  (don't forget a normal 400/500 GPU is pulling half its power from the PCIE slot/riser and another half from the 6 pin).

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2017, 07:21:45 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2017, 07:39:01 PM by VoskCoin

how do you have your pandas setup? What was their avg temp etc? sorry this happened to you

Have you contacted pandaminer support? any input from them and are they replacing your unit?

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 07:35:46 PM

Its not the connectors. Where it melted was the GND not the +12V lines. They got some bad grounding problem or the PSU is just faulty in someway.

This is just bad engineering...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: