Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:12:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you mine at home anymore?  (Read 3473 times)
0bit (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 11:10:31 PM

The age old question. The Antminer R4 is a step in the right direction with the quieter fans but it costs an arm and a leg. Are there any other miners that could be used to mine at home and give you an ROI that cost less than an R4?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2017, 01:01:00 AM

If you have a well ventilated garage or shed, you have a prime place to put a noisy miner.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
xypos

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 01:12:51 AM

The age old question. The Antminer R4 is a step in the right direction with the quieter fans but it costs an arm and a leg. Are there any other miners that could be used to mine at home and give you an ROI that cost less than an R4?

Can you? of course you can. If you enjoy maintaining a noisy rig and constantly having to monitor it then yeah, go for it. But be prepared to lose money.

Unless you have extremely cheap electricity/free electricity that you can somehow obtain(hopefully legally), and you're not into mining because it's fun, but rather only for the profits, then no, it's not feasible anymore with so many pools operating and difficulty shooting up.
0bit (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 11:15:36 PM

Unless you have extremely cheap electricity/free electricity that you can somehow obtain(hopefully legally), and you're not into mining because it's fun, but rather only for the profits, then no, it's not feasible anymore with so many pools operating and difficulty shooting up.

Yeah it seems like you're right. I mine for fun right now with some older hardware that I have (mostly USB stuff, never gonna make any money obviously). It seems that with the amount of power miners use and noise these things make, mining at home will not be feasible right now if I want to make a profit of any kind. Too bad.
rmall

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 09:25:44 PM

You can use a gaming desktop to mine and get some money by the end of the month. I'm using nicehash and getting around 100 USD month with a 1060 (after electricity costs) - and I just mine when my PC is idle. It's not get rich money, but it's enough to pay some bills.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 08:44:35 AM

GPU based rigs tend to be pretty quiet, if you set them up properly.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:42:31 PM

it depend what gpu and if or not with additional front fant that are loud, especially now in summer, but soem gpu like palit with dual fan and not 3-fan are very quite indeed, other brand like asus are not silent
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:00:28 PM

If you can stand the noise. Running an S7 in my house makes the slightly high pitched sound of fans go everywhere. There are quieter miners like the R4 for BTC but bigger miners like the S9 give the biggest bang for the buck. GPU mining is nice and silent though, most of the time.
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 04:40:58 AM

if you mine at home, what about the GPUs?

+1 although bitcoin mining, with the electricity fee deducted, won't get you profit, altcoins do. if you still have any GPU with a faster speed it is possibly giving you a profit without doing anything.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Taylorw

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:04:35 PM

Covered balcony is also a nice place for mining

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
     ▄█▀ ▄▄█████████████▄▄ ▀█▄

█▀ ▄███████▀   ▀███████▄ ▀█
   █ ▄████████▀     ▀████████▄ █
  █ ▄████████▀       ▀████████▄ █

█ ▄████████▀    █    ▀████████▄ █
▄▀▄█████        ▄█▄        █████▄▀▄
█ ██████▀▀▀     ███     ▀▀▀██████ █

█ ██████▄▄     ▄███▄     ▄▄██████ █
█ ███████▀     ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀███████ █
▀▄▀█████▀                 ▀█████▀▄▀

█ ▀███▀      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▀███▀ █
  █ ▀██      █████████      ██▀ █
   █ ▀██▄  ▄███████████▄  ▄██▀ █

█▄ ▀███████████████████▀ ▄█
     ▀█▄ ▀▀█████████████▀▀ ▄█▀

▀▀█▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄█▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AppCoins

[.
WHITEPAPER
][.
CROWDSALE
]
1.btcwonder

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 12:13:44 PM

you should engage Antminer S7. its hash power is about 4.73 TH/s.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 13, 2017, 09:22:18 PM

Unless you have cheap electric, though, the S7 is not going to show much profit and you have a VERY high risk of never getting your money back out of it.

Even with the mods Sidehack came up for it, it's about half or a hair LESS of the efficiency level of the S9 or R4, and a little better than half the efficiency of a T9 or Avalon 721/741.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
supandi wiharja

Activity: 420
Merit: 101

Earn crypto for being contacted

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 10:21:35 AM

Closed place is also a great place for mining .. and when I do mining only in my spare time work ..

s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2017, 01:32:21 PM

Yes, if you plan on holding for a few years or more.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 01:12:53 PM

home mining is viable but mainly as a hobby. GPU/alt mining seems to be best bet. can make a decent supplemental income (or not; make sure to do the math).

gpu miners that are properly set up are largely "set and forget." just need a place to set them up. basement/attic/garage.. some place with decent ventilation.
Gens09

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 10:40:08 PM

Covered balcony is also a nice place for mining

Of course,this just take diligence to wait when mining and to be more eager to achieve and to succeed in this system. Mining at home is better.Mining takes time so mining could be a job you could work for even if you still have other chores to accomplish
sandan2002

Activity: 143
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 05:33:36 AM

You have to install your own hardware at home. Before you do it, you need to prepare a list of requirements. I have mentioned it for you, as below:

Electricity Supply - for running your machines
    Internet Connection - for connecting with the pool and servers (blockchain)
    Cooling - for keeping your machine cool and avoid damage
    Racks - for organizing the machines
    ASIC Miners - the machines that will mine bitcoins
madwica

Activity: 714
Merit: 531

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:49:59 AM

You have to install your own hardware at home. Before you do it, you need to prepare a list of requirements. I have mentioned it for you, as below:

Electricity Supply - for running your machines
    Internet Connection - for connecting with the pool and servers (blockchain)
    Cooling - for keeping your machine cool and avoid damage
    Racks - for organizing the machines
    ASIC Miners - the machines that will mine bitcoins
This is requiring huge amount of money as your investment, but before that you will consider first the electricity rate in your country or area if you think that you can make profit and it will make the roi faster just go build your own mining site in your home but if the rate is too high i think it is not good to mine bitcoin.
bs.glory

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 08:42:13 AM

Its too costly to mine at work, so I mine at home Smiley Whenever there were instances, I always start up my day collating informations in BTC and antimines.
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 03:29:32 PM

Its too costly to mine at work, so I mine at home Smiley Whenever there were instances, I always start up my day collating information in BTC and anytime.

+1 mine as a work is more risky than mining at home, if mining as a work your work is all the way investment including risks of your miners failure even they have high income to get your living; especially if you are only going to mine the bitcoin AND no way to mine any altcoin else

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: