Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:32:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] Going to Mexico...junk 925 Silver for spot+50 cents Available  (Read 1628 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:51:09 AM

Hi everyone,
I often leave posts before I make regular visits to Mexico. Popular items in the past have been Cuban Rum and fake designer items. Although, two visits ago I noticed very old, tarnished silver-looking bracelets. On closer inspection, they were marked 925 (although this doesn't mean much in Mexico). I bought a few hoping they truly were silver. I got home, pulled out my JSP testing solution and...real silver. I couldn't believe it. I paid below spot (to say the least) for that silver.
My last visit, I actually brought the testing solution with me. The way it works down there is if you buy something from a vendor (there are TONS who just set up carts) they treat you like royalty. Even if you show interest in something, you are treated like a king. So, they didn't ask many questions when I pulled out the stuff and put a drop on silver-looking bracelets and rings. I spent all of the cash I had on real 925 Silver Jewelry...there wasn't a shortage of it. I wondered how it could possibly be that these vendors were selling real silver?
I talked to my buddy at the liquor store I frequent and told him about it. He said he was aware that some of the stuff is real silver. Remember in about 2003 silver was only $3/oz. He said that vendors' inventory tends to sit for a long time, or is produced and stored, or traded among other vendors. Well, when you have real silver marked 925 and fake silver marked 925 and they're stored together, it takes quite the trained eye to differentiate between the two. I guess I had that eye Wink
So, anyways, I'll be making a visit this weekend-testing solution in-hand. This is probably the best opportunity for you to acquire silver at the lowest possible premium. Find somewhere else that offers silver in any form for only 50 cents over spot. Your silver will/could be bracelets, rings, chains, etc.. But, it will be real 925 silver.
If you want, for a slight additional charge (we can work it out) I can melt your silver down for you in 1oz ingots (or smaller). That's what I do with all the stuff I buy down there. I'd rather have a silver bar than 2 bracelets and a ring.
So, I'll be bringing more cash than usual down there, so I'll be able to buy more silver. If you're interested in buying some, PM me.
Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gabbynot

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:28:23 PM

So, it's 92.5% pure?  What's the rest of it?
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:20:34 AM

So, it's 92.5% pure?  What's the rest of it?
92.5% Silver is Sterling Silver. .999 Silver is very soft-too soft to make jewelry out of, so the standard is 92.5%. The rest are alloys of copper and nickel I think.

And Cozumel=touristy
Tijuana=Seedy Wink
bozak

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:05:05 PM

Are you going to ask the Mexican shop merchants if they accept BTC?
mrbrt

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 01:01:28 PM

Did you check to make sure it wasn't just silver plated? I'm sure you did, but you didn't really mention it in your post. I'd be interested in a 1oz ingot just for the hell of it. Sending PM.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: