Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:57:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's future - speculations in coming years  (Read 361 times)
jlspartz (OP)

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:57:32 AM

I think bitcoin will stay significant but it won't remain reigning king. Its too volatile to be considered a true currency. A grocer would never stock his store using bitcoin having been worth 250 only to sell his items for the same currency weeks later worth only 70. It can't stay stable when people constantly trade a millionth of its entire quantity. But it is more stable when not looking at it in terms of its relation to fiat. The only way to make it more stable without drastic changes is for eveyone to switch units to millibitcoins for everything. But in the end I believe there will need to be a mediator currency, one between bitcoin and fiat currencies. It would need to follow fiat closely and that will be the starting point of converting between the two - a safe foot in the door for any merchant, helping switch assets which can take months or years. Otherwise, it will only be looked at as stocks for trading and other perks. It would be nice to see it become a true currency though.

What are others' thoughts/predictions on its outcome?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
5EC948A1

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:21:43 AM

It has been stable in the past.  If we look back in history Bitcoin periods of volatility have been shorter than the periods of stability.  In the future, it should stabilize as much as gold and other currencies are stable against one another.
SageDB

Activity: 33

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:27:34 AM

I've seen the idea of an intermediary currency being thrown around in forums before. I like the idea.
Minnelli

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:28:28 AM

Time will tell. There is only x amount to be mined and it will get harder. Pure economics would say it would go up but what if other currencies come into play and are easily integrated with say PayPal and Google Wallet. Then you might have an issue. Interesting topic.
ryanb
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:51:10 AM

Paypal is bad idea since they have reverse payments.

I see Google working around it and making good things happen with like NFC bitcoin payment with your android phone that would be real cool

https://bitcoinfundingteam.com/ref/SatoshiTeam
turn 0.1 BTC to 80BTC week after week!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: