Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:08:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Market Depth Should Not Be Reported Period  (Read 1374 times)
Kazu (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:10:15 AM

Reasons:
1) Discourages putting in orders ahead of time:
If I am a big seller I can loose my potential to buy if I put in a buy/sell wall ahead of time, because people will outbid me by a couple of cents and I get screwed. It makes much more sense to put up many mini-walls every time a price hits a value. This rewards buyers with bots, and screws over normal users.
2) Encouragement of bots means greater lag since rather than one big order, many small orders are entered. This causes a harmful self-feeding cycle as bots pile in as lag increases and their buy/sell targets are hit, causing yet more lag.
3) Lack of market orders ahead of time increases instability because the buy/sell walls aren't there to support price if, for some reason, the bots cannot access the trading engine. This can happen for a variety of reasons.
4) Means that users with a huge amount of money in their brokerage accounts can put up huge buy/sell walls in an attempt to manipulate price. Along with the previous reasons, it essentially encourages people to put up fake buy/sell walls and discourages people to actually put up real ones.
5) If you are reporting data that is clearly fake, why report it at all? Take away the need for trading bots, take away the potential for fake bid/ask walls to scare noobs into panic/sells. Just don't report market depth, period.

It would be best if a market maker created a bitcoin "dark pool" and didn't report anything other than bid/ask and potentially volume. The market maker would take steps to reduce slippage on his own, potentially coming in to prevent slippage within one order at his own risk if needed, compensating the risk by taking spreads as profit.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xorglub

Activity: 204

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:25:01 AM

Good points but I don't think anyone will use an exchange that does not report its order book.
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:25:14 AM

doesn't making the information available make the market more efficient, in the EMH sense?

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Kazu (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:26:34 AM

Good points but I don't think anyone will use an exchange that does not report its order book.

Why? You think people will go "Hey, that looks like a cool exchange, oh wait, I can't view the fake walls that people put up, nvm I'm going back to gox?"

Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:29:54 AM

Why? You think people will go "Hey, that looks like a cool exchange, oh wait, I can't view the fake walls that people put up, nvm I'm going back to gox?"

It's what has happened in the past...

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:30:36 AM

From a liberty purist point of view, my devil's advocate position, more info - the better.

From a game theory point of view.  Screw market depth.  

I would appreciate a market that operated on "In the money" scope.  No fake walls that are moved based on current "In the Money" levels.

It all comes back to "In the Money."  If you aren't there - you're gaming the system for some end.

Is this ok?  Maybe, but it definitely adds an unnecessary psychological element.  And I don't like head games.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Kazu (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:31:03 AM

doesn't making the information available make the market more efficient, in the EMH sense?

Yes, except thats mostly wrong anyway. Trading, just like any other game, is all about knowing more than your opponent. By going on the orderbook, you display information to your opponent, and thus screw yourself over. Systems are only stable when they reward actions that benefit the system, rather than hurt it. MtGox has created an exceedingly unstable system because it rewards damaging the system. As long as the exchanger system is set up in this way, Bitcoin will fail whenever it gets too much attention. EMH is a terribad theory in any case, though.

Kazu (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:33:02 AM

From a liberty purist point of view, my devil's advocate position, more info - the better.
Not necessarily. From a liberty purist point of view the exchanger should be free to do what makes its business the most profitable as that usually entails the maximum gain for the minimum amount of wasted resources. The gaming of the system market depth encourages is a MASSIVE waste of resources.

ironstove

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Possibilities are limitless

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:46:17 AM

This is the stupidest idea I've heard on here in a while.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:10:09 AM

"Should?"

Albert Ellis calls that "musterbating."

Could should would must got to

MtGox "should" update its matching engine, stop lagging, enable circuit breakers like you know professional markets, and take other steps to encourage stability.

MtGox users "should" take its poor performance as an indicator that they should find another exchange to use, even if it's a minor inconvenience.

I could give you "shoulds" "coulds" and "woulds" all day, doesn't change a thing  Grin Grin Grin
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:25:42 AM

Imagine services such as bitpay for instance. They will need to instantly sell bitcoins for users who convert btc to usd at time of purchase. If the depth is very thin, perhaps they need to calculate some slippage in the price/conversion ratio. If the market depth is hidden this is not possible to do and may be a disadvantage. If you ponder on this I'm sure you can think of many similar situations where this would be a very bad idea.

I wouldn't really mind seeing dark pools coming back though, I thought those where pretty neat.

johnblaze

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:46:34 AM

yes

This is the stupidest idea I've heard on here in a while.

yes
bitleif

Activity: 351

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:13:05 AM

Because it's a free market. Why would you go to the exchange that gives you less information? Meanwhile the other exchanges would work exactly the same as before, meaning price volatility would happen the same anyway, so you're providing no benefit whatsoever.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:28:37 AM

Reasons:
1) Discourages putting in orders ahead of time:
If I am a big seller I can loose my potential to buy if I put in a buy/sell wall ahead of time, because people will outbid me by a couple of cents and I get screwed. It makes much more sense to put up many mini-walls every time a price hits a value. This rewards buyers with bots, and screws over normal users.
2) Encouragement of bots means greater lag since rather than one big order, many small orders are entered. This causes a harmful self-feeding cycle as bots pile in as lag increases and their buy/sell targets are hit, causing yet more lag.
3) Lack of market orders ahead of time increases instability because the buy/sell walls aren't there to support price if, for some reason, the bots cannot access the trading engine. This can happen for a variety of reasons.
4) Means that users with a huge amount of money in their brokerage accounts can put up huge buy/sell walls in an attempt to manipulate price. Along with the previous reasons, it essentially encourages people to put up fake buy/sell walls and discourages people to actually put up real ones.
5) If you are reporting data that is clearly fake, why report it at all? Take away the need for trading bots, take away the potential for fake bid/ask walls to scare noobs into panic/sells. Just don't report market depth, period.

It would be best if a market maker created a bitcoin "dark pool" and didn't report anything other than bid/ask and potentially volume. The market maker would take steps to reduce slippage on his own, potentially coming in to prevent slippage within one order at his own risk if needed, compensating the risk by taking spreads as profit.

It's a free market. Just open a dark pool exchange yourself

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: