Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:36:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overclock question about the infamous RX 570  (Read 1170 times)
nourel (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 07:05:00 AM

Hello everyone,

I would firstly like to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum. Reading your guides, comments and discussions has greatly helped me (a newbie) in setting up my first rig. It is with great heart that I thank you all.

With that being said, I am stuck on overclocking my GPU Core clock to 1300 MHz, I tried setting the frequencies manually in WattMan all at 1300 MHz (State 1 through to State 7) just to see if it will hit 1300 when I start my miner (Claymore) but for some odd reason it stays at around 1100~ MHz. Your inputs/comments would be greatly appreciated.

A little background of my setup:

- 6x Sapphire RX 570 Pulse cards (I have one plugged in now to test configs and what not)
- Strapped 1625, 1750, 2000 with 1500 values for my rom
- Using dual claymore
- Windows 10
- Mem clock 2000 MHz
- GPU Core clock 1250 MHz
- current ETH Hashrate: 27~Mh/s (it fluctuates between 28 and 26 sometimes 25/24 not sure if this is normal, would appreciate someone commenting on this to !)
- current Dec Hashrate: 800~ fluctuates in the same way as ETH
- Vram setup for windows at 16GB

Note: I realize that 570 guides/discussions are fragmented across this forum due to its recent release. I will be more than happy to share my final config once I tweak, test and get this GPU Core overclocking sorted out as repayment to this great forum Smiley

Will probably post my final setup here once done.

If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 07:28:26 AM

Is there a reason you want to overclock your GPU core clock?  Typically, you want to underclock your GPU core, especially for Etherium.  Etherium depends on fast memory, so overclocking your memory clock should be your priority.  Overclocking your GPU core just wastes electricity.  You can save a lot of watts from the wall by lowering the GPU clock and undervolting it.
nourel (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 02:27:51 PM

Is there a reason you want to overclock your GPU core clock?  Typically, you want to underclock your GPU core, especially for Etherium.  Etherium depends on fast memory, so overclocking your memory clock should be your priority.  Overclocking your GPU core just wastes electricity.  You can save a lot of watts from the wall by lowering the GPU clock and undervolting it.

I am not sure if it was just a coincidence, but I found that over clocking my GPU core slightly from 1150~ to 1250~ Gave me a noticeable increase in hashrate. I will be testing this further which is why I wanted to overclock a little higher and see if I notice similar performance gains or not.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 02:31:19 PM

I am not sure if it was just a coincidence, but I found that over clocking my GPU core slightly from 1150~ to 1250~ Gave me a noticeable increase in hashrate. I will be testing this further which is why I wanted to overclock a little higher and see if I notice similar performance gains or not.
There seems to be a minimum clock level you should keep, under which you start losing more hashrate. It is around 1075 iirc. Increasing much above that doesn't yield much, so better set your core clock at 1075 and see what you can achieve with mem overclock.
nourel (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 02:47:13 PM

There seems to be a minimum clock level you should keep, under which you start losing more hashrate. It is around 1075 iirc. Increasing much above that doesn't yield much, so better set your core clock at 1075 and see what you can achieve with mem overclock.

I had my core clock speed at 1150~ and was not able to hit 26 MH/s at all. It was always around 24 - 25.2. After increasing the core clock to 1250~ I saw a hashrate range of 25 - 26.5 with a drop to 24.7 every once in a while. I will test it out more thoroughly though to confirm. (My mem clock speed at the time was 1750)
wtfonly16

Activity: 285
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 03:04:09 PM

these people are talking about bullshit memory modding and no1 on this forum has yet to explain how to do it.
all they say is "just underclock core, use new timing" fuk off WHAT TIMING?? HOW?? U CANT MOD ANYTHING ON rx 570 asus elpedia

FUK OFF

ye i aint bares
puwaha

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 11:26:58 PM

these people are talking about bullshit memory modding and no1 on this forum has yet to explain how to do it.
all they say is "just underclock core, use new timing" fuk off WHAT TIMING?? HOW?? U CANT MOD ANYTHING ON rx 570 asus elpedia

FUK OFF

LOL!  I dig the username and signature... it helps to explain this post tremendously.  There are multiple threads here, on other forums, and dozens of youtube videos that show you how to change memory strap timings, overclock mem clock, underclock GPU clock, and decrease voltage to the GPU.

If nothing else, you can install MSI Afterburner, Sapphire Trixx, or even use AMD's Wattman tool.  All of them allow you to adjust them on the fly to find the best settings for your card.  Once you have dialed in all the settings you want, you can then modify your AMD's BIOS and flash the BIOS so that the settings are locked in.

puwaha

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 11:30:27 PM

While this is true, you do get a slight bump if you increase the GPU core, it's diminishing returns for the watts you are burning.  If you don't care about electricity usage, then by all means crank them up.
nourel (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2017, 07:52:53 PM

While this is true, you do get a slight bump if you increase the GPU core, it's diminishing returns for the watts you are burning.  If you don't care about electricity usage, then by all means crank them up.

Thanks Puwaha for the insight. It seems like I was able to hit a stead 27/28 hashrate on my RX 570 4GB pulse with 1250~ GPU Core and a 1950 Mem clock. For anyone interested, I found 2000 Clock rate to be unstable and worse than 1950 probably due to the timing straps everyone has been talking about.

I see why people speak so highly of the RX 470/480 series. I had to play around with my 570 quite a bit to get it up to 27/28 Mh/s. I experienced one crash with my new settings so still tampering with the configs, and if anyone knows how to (if possible) overclock the GPU core to 1300~ that would be greatly appreciated !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: