Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:23:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Subforums for [Alternate cryptocurrencies] +[Mining] +[Buy/Sell]  (Read 788 times)
davidpbrown (OP)

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 02:47:21 PM

Just my 2s

That forum getting very busy and perhaps splitting a subforum for mining might help; perhaps also one for buy/sell offer threads.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:58:42 PM

Eh, this is bitcointalk.org not ___cointalk.org.  If the alts are worth it, then a community will pop up around them.
davidpbrown (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 03:24:56 PM

Oh!.. I didn't realise it was so strongly Bitcoin(tm) focus and not Bitcoin as a concept.

Why is there a [Alternate cryptocurrencies] then, if what you suggest is correct?

tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:36:37 PM

Oh!.. I didn't realise it was so strongly Bitcoin(tm) focus and not Bitcoin as a concept.

Why is there a [Alternate cryptocurrencies] then, if what you suggest is correct?

People are going to post about them, gotta have somewhere to throw all of the posts.

The forum is bitcoin as a concept, but IMO if we want widespread adoption we need 1 coin not tons of random ones.  Think about it from the perspective on a non-techy person who first learns about Bitcoin.
davidpbrown (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 04:05:46 PM

I'm never convinced by the line that people are stupid and we must patronise them.

Perhaps the BTC price would be higher and life would be simpler without Alt-TC but then I think there's room enough for all.

Also, the inverse might be true.. BTC might not be the perfect answer. Certainly Bitcoin-original is a sound foundation but there are issues of scale to be resolved. Whether real world issues are solved by new services on top BTC or something spawned from other coins, remains to be seen. I know for instance FTC is lot more friendly for the confirmation time but then the blockchain size issue arises for all.

and then there is a question about the wisdom of having one solution as if that is the one true answer. Alt-TC are useful, if only to confirm BTC is the one to use. It's just helpful to be able to see the talk about Alt-TC without the clutter of chatter re mining and buy/sell offers.

Activity: 77
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:41:14 PM

Eh, this is bitcointalk.org not ___cointalk.org.  If the alts are worth it, then a community will pop up around them.

I've reported a few alt-chain posts outside of the alts subforum, but the mods only seem to agree with me half the time. If all alt-chain posts aren't going to be moved to the current alt subforum, I'd support giving them a few more categories so that I can set those ones to ignore too.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 04:49:06 PM

I'm never convinced by the line that people are stupid and we must patronise them.
Explain the concept of bitcoin to your mother. Then all the altcoins. Tell us what she says.

It's not stupidity. it's ignorance. Most people, unless they have reason to, will not expend much effort learning about any given subject. There's no reason to make their life harder when they want to learn a little about Bitcoin.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:54:00 PM

I've reported a few alt-chain posts outside of the alts subforum, but the mods only seem to agree with me half the time. If all alt-chain posts aren't going to be moved to the current alt subforum, I'd support giving them a few more categories so that I can set those ones to ignore too.

Got any specific examples?  I'm just curious, I almost always move stuff if it deals with an altcoin.  There are a few situations where they don't need to be moved because it deals with bitcoin too.

Explain the concept of bitcoin to your mother. Then all the altcoins. Tell us what she says.

It's not stupidity. it's ignorance. Most people, unless they have reason to, will not expend much effort learning about any given subject. There's no reason to make their life harder when they want to learn a little about Bitcoin.

This is my reasoning, it makes things harder and/or they're just going to group all all of the different coins together as junk in their mind.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 05:13:32 PM

I've always been against forums to specific altcoins cause they come and go, but I suppose general ones like buy/sell and mining wouldn't be terrible an idea, just so it doesn't start to look like EQ trade chat. Looking at Alt currencies, the first page only goes back 22 mins. That's a fast moving forum. On the other hand, maybe it will force them to migrate to their own forum faster.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
davidpbrown (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 05:22:08 PM

It's not stupidity. it's ignorance.

Ignorance is a flavour of stupidity. Being clever is a mix of knowledge; intellect; and wisdom.

If everything goes to plan, then you might expect more volume even if Alt-TC find their own forums; this one then will still see talk of those - larger and faster than now.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 05:31:33 PM

It's not stupidity. it's ignorance.

Ignorance is a flavour of stupidity. Being clever is a mix of knowledge; intellect; and wisdom.
I beg to differ. Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge. Willful ignorance, now....

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 05:35:15 PM

Got any specific examples?  I'm just curious, I almost always move stuff if it deals with an altcoin.  There are a few situations where they don't need to be moved because it deals with bitcoin too.

Also this, I thought we were doing pretty well at keeping the alt coin stuff separated. I can think of a couple I left cause the alt coin relation was very low, despite one even naming one in the title.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:20:56 PM

On that note, can we have at least a seperate scam accusations board for the alt coins? ScamAcc is getting flooded with idiot newbies scamming and wanna-be-scamming each other and it detracts from my enjoyment of the real scams.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 06:28:12 PM

On that note, can we have at least a seperate scam accusations board for the alt coins? ScamAcc is getting flooded with idiot newbies scamming and wanna-be-scamming each other and it detracts from my enjoyment of the real scams.

Yeah that's one of the exceptions, I feel a little bad shuffling them off to alt currencies to get lost from the first page within 20 minutes, so I left 'em. 

Activity: 77
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:45:37 AM

I don't actually remember which ones they were at this point. Is there any way to see the history of posts that I've reported? I think there was one from Speculation about Litecoin and one from Currency exchange asking to trade some alt.

I do remember at least one post in Bitcoin Discussion where they made it about both BTC and LTC, but I don't remember if I reported that one. I do think that's just a cheap way of promoting the altcoins in the Bitcoin sections.
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:55:28 AM

I don't actually remember which ones they were at this point. Is there any way to see the history of posts that I've reported? I think there was one from Speculation about Litecoin and one from Currency exchange asking to trade some alt.

I do remember at least one post in Bitcoin Discussion where they made it about both BTC and LTC, but I don't remember if I reported that one. I do think that's just a cheap way of promoting the altcoins in the Bitcoin sections.

I've moved some posts about trading BTC for alts into Currency Exchange because I thought it seemed right.  I may have been in the wrong doing this, anyone else have thoughts?

If it's enough about Bitcoin then I think leaving posts alone is fine, as long as it's not a blatant alt plug.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: