Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:26:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: let's take a closer look at $100,000,000,000 market cap  (Read 563 times)
BitcoinHodler (OP)

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 10:33:17 AM

TL. DR. any coins that don't have any usage (99.9% of the altcoins) shouldn't be counted in total market cap otherwise the total will be a meaningless number. instead consider utilities, how many merchants are using them, etc

by now you must have read something about it either on here or reddit or some place else.
yes it is exciting to see the market has grown this much and that number being that big! but what does market cap mean?

it is simply the result of price * supply.

here is an example of why it is such a terrible factor. the following coins (which i chose randomly based on price rise in past 24 hours) has 24.4 billion supply.
now as you can see it is a good example of a dead coin with 3 satoshi value which has been pumped. from 3 satoshi to 82 satoshi and this coin alone has contributed to 50 million dollars increase in market cap

are you still saying market cap is a good factor?

take a look at more coins if you don't agree with the above screen shot and want to argue that coin is good , blah blah...

the following coins are all dead coins. mostly in the range of 1 satoshi and even less. some of them don't even have a bitcoin market anymore. they are being traded with smaller coins such as Doge at funny prices such as 0.01 Doge per coin!
all the coins that i have circled have gone up from <1 satoshi up to prices you see. each in >500% (the circled percentage are only 24 hour rises).

look at the comical market caps:

hint
to see these coins you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the coinmarketcap.com page and then click next 100 a couple of times to reach these coins

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 10:43:19 AM

While you have a point, the coins that show these kinds of pumps are only a fraction of the total marketcap.

If you only take the top 3, these already represent 80 billion of the 100 billion cap. If you then add several other big coins that actually have utility or are close to releasing that (say top 20) you end up near 90 billion cap.

Even if you discard all the "99,9%" crap, you still have between an 80-90 billion cap.
BitcoinHodler (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:01:51 AM

While you have a point, the coins that show these kinds of pumps are only a fraction of the total marketcap.

If you only take the top 3, these already represent 80 billion of the 100 billion cap. If you then add several other big coins that actually have utility or are close to releasing that (say top 20) you end up near 90 billion cap.

Even if you discard all the "99,9%" crap, you still have between an 80-90 billion cap.

here are your top 3 (i rounded the numbers):

bitcoin:
market cap: $46.5 billion
available supply: 16.3 mill coins
real availalbe supply: 16.3 mil coins. there has been no premine, no ICO for bitcoin
usage: doesn't fit in one place. it is from simple investment and store of value to being a currency to buy almost anything you can think of: from a hot dog at a food truck to a house.

ethereum:
market cap: $23.7 billion
available supply: 92.2 mill coins
real availalbe supply: less than 17 mil coins. there has been a big ICO
usage: smart contracts, and making new ICO scams.

Ripple:
market cap: $11.1 billion
available supply: 38.6 billion coins
real availalbe supply: who knows! probably a couple of million, less than 20 is a good estimate.
usage: i can't find anything apart from it being called "payment protocol" and banks being interested in it (and by it i mean the technology not the coin itself!)

now you tell me if the $23.7 billion and $11.1 billion have the same meaning as $46.5 billion has. and while we are at it, tell me again why these two are different from any of the coins in that picture above?!

aarturka

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:13:37 AM

It's funny buy only Bitcoin is real crypto so I wouldnt count alt scam. Vitalik said recently that he will ravage eth wallets of those he doesnt like. He trained well on the Dao 'hacker' before and got the hang of it
Mia Wallace

Activity: 361
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:17:17 AM

There is a good point as there are several shit coins in the market with unlimited cap but as Norrisk mentioned if we negate the shit coins and take into consideration the top twenty coins in terms of market cap they still rule the space with close to 90 billion which is not a small amount in comparison.
aarturka

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:24:45 AM

Helveticus

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:29:02 AM

I think it's important to realize that 100 billion $ makret cap doesn't mean that all cryptocurrencies are worth that much. It's simply the result of recent trades scaled up. Simple logic really, but to finish pointing out the obvious, you can neither sell or buy all Bitcoins for 46.6 billion. If you were really lucky, you could've bought 1.9 billion $ worth of bitcoin for around 2850$/BTC in the past 24h. In my estimation there is about 10% of the Bitcoin supply being sold/traded/used, the rest sits in it's users wallets for better times/worse times/or even forever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that compared to the price of a single BTC/ETH/or other altcoin, the market cap is a really insignificant and inacurate measurement of value.
2bfree

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2017, 11:33:34 AM

The real cash in the market is probably 75% less.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
sud

Activity: 826
Merit: 301

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:39:31 AM

Aside 300 different shitcoins, top 10-20 coins represent 95% of the market cap. But tbh market cap should be calculated considering infaltion and number of coins in cirulation.

The real cash in the market is probably 75% less.

How so?
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:49:53 AM

You Words:
TL. DR. any coins that don't have any usage (99.9% of the altcoins) shouldn't be counted in total market cap

The above statement shows you're being emotional with your post. 99.9% is thesame as 100%. You saying even one Altcoin don't have any usage?  God something I get too depressed with the state of humanity. If things as little as this would make us so desperate and dishonest maybe the serious ones would make us blowing things up and killing each other
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 12:01:30 PM

Vitalik said recently that he will ravage eth wallets of those he doesnt like. He trained well on the Dao 'hacker' before and got the hang of it

it is worth mentioning that another smart contract exploit has happened recently which led to a huge loss of about 14 million dollars and although some people are asking the question "why is there no fork for this one" it seems like Vitalik will only care if he is losing money not others which was the case with DAO.

p.s. this is one of the many reasons people consider ethereum to be centralized.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 12:05:30 PM

here are your top 3 (i rounded the numbers):

bitcoin:
market cap: $46.5 billion
available supply: 16.3 mill coins
real availalbe supply: 16.3 mil coins. there has been no premine, no ICO for bitcoin
usage: doesn't fit in one place. it is from simple investment and store of value to being a currency to buy almost anything you can think of: from a hot dog at a food truck to a house.

You are forgetting Satoshi's stash.   Can he cash out ?  Or are these coins non-existing ?   There are a few other big whales in bitcoin.  Some have close to 1 M coins.  They could cash out too, but prefer not to.  That's part of the market cap.
The "merchant usage" part of bitcoin would give you a bitcoin price of the order, or less than, $100.- a coin.  So the merchant usage part of bitcoin is negligible as compared to its speculative part.

ethereum:
market cap: $23.7 billion
available supply: 92.2 mill coins
real availalbe supply: less than 17 mil coins. there has been a big ICO
usage: smart contracts, and making new ICO scams.

I don't know why you say that these coins are NOT available, but the coins of all bitcoin hodlers WOULD be available.  What's the difference between the ETH whales, and the bitcoin whales (including Satoshi) ?  Unless the keys are really lost, or there is a lock-in mechanism that makes dumping these coins impossible, the fact that those hodling the coins don't dump, makes that they contribute to the speculative market cap.

ETH, just as well as BTC, are speculative assets of which the "real usage" has almost no influence on the market.
Note, BTW, that ETH VOLUME and BTC VOLUME are in similar ratio's as their market cap, meaning they have similar market behaviours.

If you look at total volume of BTC vs total crypto volume, you see that the BTC total volume to the crypto total volume is of similar nature as the market cap ratio's.  At this moment, BTC represents a small half of all what happens in crypto.  Market cap as well as volume.  Consistent numbers.

And all of this is speculative.   Nothing is "real economic usage value".  
BitcoinHodler (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 12:36:14 PM

You Words:
TL. DR. any coins that don't have any usage (99.9% of the altcoins) shouldn't be counted in total market cap

The above statement shows you're being emotional with your post. 99.9% is thesame as 100%. You saying even one Altcoin don't have any usage?  God something I get too depressed with the state of humanity. If things as little as this would make us so desperate and dishonest maybe the serious ones would make us blowing things up and killing each other

ok, 99% are you happy now?
remember that having some cool features and getting advertised a lot doesn't mean they are actually good, and certainly doesn't mean people are using them. almost all usage of altcoins is for speculation.
same is true for bitcoin too but at least bitcoin has a lot of usage in different businesses from small to big.

You are forgetting Satoshi's stash.   

i am not forgetting it.
what Satoshi may have, was gained by mining bitcoin like anybody else.
you could have mined block height 1 (can't remember if genesis was hard coded as 0 or not) and gain the 50BTC reward. and that has been true all the way up to 16.## million coins. and many actually did mine bitcoin in first days.
you can't possibly begin to compare that with how altcoins are!

Jharroze

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 02:28:37 PM

There’s a huge number of websites that is collecting
personal data. If you ever put your ID and wallet address in one
place, you will never stay private in the Net. Sonder ensures the
real anonymity of payments. The system will have a wide range
of tools for the convenience of use and maintenance of full privacy (wallet address
mutation, transactions obfuscation,IP-hiding, digital signatures and other).
ThePogi

Activity: 71

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 02:34:27 PM

TL. DR. any coins that don't have any usage (99.9% of the altcoins) shouldn't be counted in total market cap otherwise the total will be a meaningless number. instead consider utilities, how many merchants are using them, etc

by now you must have read something about it either on here or reddit or some place else.
yes it is exciting to see the market has grown this much and that number being that big! but what does market cap mean?

it is simply the result of price * supply.

here is an example of why it is such a terrible factor. the following coins (which i chose randomly based on price rise in past 24 hours) has 24.4 billion supply.
now as you can see it is a good example of a dead coin with 3 satoshi value which has been pumped. from 3 satoshi to 82 satoshi and this coin alone has contributed to 50 million dollars increase in market cap
https://i.imgur.com/v3NFWxb.jpg

are you still saying market cap is a good factor?

take a look at more coins if you don't agree with the above screen shot and want to argue that coin is good , blah blah...

the following coins are all dead coins. mostly in the range of 1 satoshi and even less. some of them don't even have a bitcoin market anymore. they are being traded with smaller coins such as Doge at funny prices such as 0.01 Doge per coin!
all the coins that i have circled have gone up from <1 satoshi up to prices you see. each in >500% (the circled percentage are only 24 hour rises).

look at the comical market caps:

https://i.imgur.com/AFRzDlX.jpg

hint
to see these coins you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the coinmarketcap.com page and then click next 100 a couple of times to reach these coins
Thank you for this and it is clear to me now. I do have a question though. What with there being so many newcomers to cryptocurrency wouldn't the psychological effect of a coin having a higher price per piece have a significant effect, exactly because people look at the price and not the market value? I know that's why I invested a lot in XRP ripple and hope to someday have 1 BTC
beivleveinsomeone

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 08:28:10 AM

Market capitalization at coinmaketcap is virtual. It is not true: Vol = the amount of people buy BTC, then get the BTC that buy altcoin. That is x2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: