Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:12:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: signing with btchip (ledger HW1) not possible on windows - missing websocket mod  (Read 765 times)
torusJKL (OP)

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 01:00:44 PM

I have installed Electrum 2.8.2 on Windows 10.

When I try to sign a message/transaction with a HW1 wallet (btchip) I get the error message "No module named websocket".

On Ubuntu I fixed this by installing the package "python-websocket".

How can I resolve this issue on Windows?

I have also created a github issue:
https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/2433

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 05:40:57 PM

Hey, did you find a solution for windows? version 2.8.3 still suffers from this error..

Any other ideas how to sign a message using Ledger Nano\HW.1 on win10 ?
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 03:42:53 AM

Hey, did you find a solution for windows? version 2.8.3 still suffers from this error..

My guess is that you will need to wait for the developers to bundle the correct module into the executable file unless you want to try to run from source using python in windows. If you did that, you could probably download the module and get it working.
zend7

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 05:58:41 AM

If you are asking to sign a message from HW.1 using Electrum you can't. If you want to sign directly from the HW.1 you can. It is in the tools or settings menu don't remember now but I am using this wallet and I know it can sign a message without problems with the chrome app.
mishax1
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 06:13:54 AM

If you are asking to sign a message from HW.1 using Electrum you can't. If you want to sign directly from the HW.1 you can. It is in the tools or settings menu don't remember now but I am using this wallet and I know it can sign a message without problems with the chrome app.

You are talking BS, you can't sign a message using NANO\HW.1 with Ledger's Chrome app, only Ledger Nano S is able to do that, that is confirmed by Ledger's support.

You have everything messed up, Electrum was able to do that, but it's messed up in the new versions.

Someone advised to use 2.7.15 version, but the process wasn't complete because the ledger didn't provide the one time code in the process..
zend7

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 06:52:02 AM

You are talking BS, you can't sign a message using NANO\HW.1 with Ledger's Chrome app, only Ledger Nano S is able to do that, that is confirmed by Ledger's support.

You have everything messed up, Electrum was able to do that, but it's messed up in the new versions.

Someone advised to use 2.7.15 version, but the process wasn't complete because the ledger didn't provide the one time code in the process..

I think you are talking bullshit. It was added in the latest update of firmware, I will show you a picture here once I go home, it's a clear SIGN MESSAGE button big enough for everyone to see. I told you I am using this wallet from a long time. I will post the picture at night once I go home. It can sign a message.

Edit: It appears the error "cannot derivate path" it is there, but it can sign with Electrum. You have to find a way around with Electrum. Read here
https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/6ewqun/how_to_sign_a_message_btc_with_a_hw1_and_the/
mishax1
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 07:29:06 AM

Electrum was able to do that, but it's messed up in the new versions  - "No module named websocket"

zend7

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 07:34:16 AM

Is it secure to link my HW.1 to Electrum when creating a new hardware wallet ? I mean I have to enter the 24 words seed from my Ledger HW.1 and I don't want to risk it. I know my PC is clean as I keep very few programs on it and Avira PRO is protecting me but just want to be extra sure before trying this.
mishax1
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 07:44:08 AM

Is it secure to link my HW.1 to Electrum when creating a new hardware wallet ? I mean I have to enter the 24 words seed from my Ledger HW.1 and I don't want to risk it. I know my PC is clean as I keep very few programs on it and Avira PRO is protecting me but just want to be extra sure before trying this.

You don't need to type in your seed.  You create a "new wallet" and connect a hardware wallet.
zend7

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 07:59:13 AM

You don't need to type in your seed.  You create a "new wallet" and connect a hardware wallet.

Thanks that is great to know. I believe I can use the HW.1 from the Electrum interface then just like I do in the Chrome app for now.
mishax1
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 08:03:18 AM

Thanks that is great to know. I believe I can use the HW.1 from the Electrum interface then just like I do in the Chrome app for now.

I thought you are going to prove me wrong.. but I see you keep posting bs just to bump your post count.
zend7

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 03:07:04 PM

You don't need to type in your seed.  You create a "new wallet" and connect a hardware wallet.

I thought you are going to prove me wrong.. but I see you keep posting bs just to bump your post count.

You are right about the HW.1 and I didn't know that. Picture below shows you were correct and I owe you an apology.

Second though I create a new wallet in Electrum and choose hardware wallet but Electrum does not recognize it, it says press rescan and it cannot find it. Electrum 2.7.12 version.

As per my post bump, I barely make 30 post in a week here and even if I do, once I start replying different times to the same thread the signature manager has a rule that maximum 5 replies are counted and she has the right to remove from the payment the posts she doesn't see fit.

Now tell me what to do so Electrum can recognize my device ?
mishax1
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 04:13:27 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2017, 04:51:43 PM by mishax1

Try 2.7.15 or the latest 2.8.3

On 2.7.15 i'm stuck here - http://imgur.com/vxkfXuZ
zend7

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 07:38:04 PM

Try 2.7.15 or the latest 2.8.3

On 2.7.15 i'm stuck here - http://imgur.com/vxkfXuZ

It worked on 2.8.3 as I just tried but only to recognize the Ledger. See the picture below , sorry for only capturing the Ledger HW.1 but I don't want to show my full balance.

When I try to sign message it says No module websocket found so I am not able although ledger is recognized in Electrum to sign a message with it. Also when I try to send money same error appears.

wosch76
Legendary

Activity: 942
Merit: 1026

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 11:35:05 PM

did anyone find a solution for this?
signing a message with HW.1 and Electrum or Ledger-Chrome-App?
I would like to claim some bytether.
dammit Tongue

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █