Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:36:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacker group shuns Bitcoin  (Read 717 times)
shyliar (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 01:08:00 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2017, 01:26:33 PM by shyliar

I'm seeing more and more of these types of articles as the high fees are persuading people that alternatives are better:

Calling UASF dangerous, it said “this is unacceptable for any business running on bitcoin.”

“We had hope when the Segregated Witness soft-fork arrived and miners started signaling activation. But after stagnating miner support, political debates in the bitcoin community and still rising fees, our hope is lost.”

"The post also described Litecoin as currently “more technologically advanced” than Bitcoin. Having already activated SegWit, Litecoin now has developers working on second-layer payment solutions like the Lightning Network."

http://bitsonline.com/paralelni-polis-bitcoin-litecoin/

Bitstamp has been holding out as an exclusively BTC exchange for years. Finally adopting LTC (early in June, likely later this week or early next). Will add ETH later. As the largest European BTC exchange (2016) this is good news.

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitstamp-announces-phase-ii-its-development/
loreRex

Activity: 279
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 01:31:21 PM

Automated bot?  Grin
glerant

Activity: 565
Merit: 316

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 01:36:57 PM

Bitstamp has been holding out as an exclusively BTC exchange for years. Finally adopting LTC (early in June, likely later this week or early next). Will add ETH later. As the largest European BTC exchange (2016) this is good news.

I think that the days of folk hanging on to the words and whims of centralised and private exchanges are rapidly coming to an end.

Decentralised exchanges, like for example the Waves DEX, along with trusted off-chain and fiat gateways, will make this kind of issue and talk appear very quaint soon. It is a sad reflection on the moribund state of Bitcoin development which, if it doesn't change, will suddenly and brutally consign ฿ to be an irrelevance (for payment transactions if not a store of wealth) if they are not careful.
shyliar (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 01:55:23 PM

I'm interested how these fiat gateways will operate on a decentralized exchange. Can you please elaborate? Is there a working example? I would like to test one out.
glerant

Activity: 565
Merit: 316

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 09:02:55 AM

There is a brief overview here;

https://blog.wavesplatform.com/fiat-on-blockchain-e3826f939ebe

By the tone of the latest blog it looks like gateways themselves are not far away.  Cheesy
https://blog.wavesplatform.com/road-to-waves-1-0-eafab1e6846f
codehtcmail

Activity: 1188
Merit: 260

Tryig to survive in this harsh world

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:02:52 AM

Waves and DEX exchanges in general, are what I believe the future, they can replace stock exchanges with the safety and reliability of a blockchain.
Coffee2015

Activity: 258
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 11:50:45 AM

I'm seeing more and more of these types of articles as the high fees are persuading people that alternatives are better:

Calling UASF dangerous, it said “this is unacceptable for any business running on bitcoin.”

“We had hope when the Segregated Witness soft-fork arrived and miners started signaling activation. But after stagnating miner support, political debates in the bitcoin community and still rising fees, our hope is lost.”

"The post also described Litecoin as currently “more technologically advanced” than Bitcoin. Having already activated SegWit, Litecoin now has developers working on second-layer payment solutions like the Lightning Network."

http://bitsonline.com/paralelni-polis-bitcoin-litecoin/

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitstamp-announces-phase-ii-its-development/

Segwit ll be the best option to make btc great
btc is a bcakbone for altcoin so far.
We need it be very strong until cryptocurrency mature enough
 then I am not surprise if we together would find new better one.

Secured btc.
xapwxrm5742

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 12:20:19 PM

segwit would be the advantage for the litecoin
I think it's a opportunity to invest it
shyliar (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 01:16:41 PM

I don't really get the resistance to better ideas by some folks in the bitcoin community. If something works better just do it. LTC has always had certain advantages over BTC. The idea always was BTC as a store of value. Even in 2012 people knew it would not scale well.

Here's an interesting post from one of the BTC developers:

"If BIP148 were to fail, the alternative would result in Litecoin taking a lead over Bitcoin (already, there are Bitcoin devs defecting)."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6f5wjt/august_1st_is_bitcoinindependenceday_make_sure/diggr88/?st=j3mdn09c&sh=2f34786a
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 01:33:47 PM

someone once said all these political fights over power in bitcoin will lead to altcoins taking the lead. this statement was mostly used to pump shitcoins such as etehreum and ripple and lots of others.

but there is also some truth to it. although i am not yet convinced that LTC has any advantage on bitcoin but the activation of SegWit on it opened up a lot of ways for its improvement.

The idea always was BTC as a store of value.

no it never was. it is only an "idea" which is idiotically being advertised mostly in the past few months.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
shyliar (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 01:57:29 PM

no it never was. it is only an "idea" which is idiotically being advertised mostly in the past few months.

Two minutes of google time finds articles going back years that suggest it's not an new idea. Just an idea you disagree with. You're right it does seem to be mentioned more in the last few months. High fees and the political problems you mentioned are likely primarily responsible for this.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2017, 02:03:40 PM

someone once said all these political fights over power in bitcoin will lead to altcoins taking the lead. this statement was mostly used to pump shitcoins such as etehreum and ripple and lots of others.

but there is also some truth to it. although i am not yet convinced that LTC has any advantage on bitcoin but the activation of SegWit on it opened up a lot of ways for its improvement.

The idea always was BTC as a store of value.

I wonder why so many exhcnages are adopting or have adopted Litecoin specifically instead of other, more popular altcoins?
You also see it with the large Chinese exchanges, they almost exclusively have Bitcoin and Litecoin listed.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Litecoin is pretty similar to Bitcoin and supporting it doesn't require that much work?

BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 02:23:29 PM

Two minutes of google time finds articles going back years that suggest it's not an new idea. Just an idea you disagree with. You're right it does seem to be mentioned more in the last few months. High fees and the political problems you mentioned are likely primarily responsible for this.

articles on the investment oriented internet which are talking about how "bitcoin can be a good store of value on top of other things" is not equal to a lot of people in the community saying "bitcoin is only store of value and nothing else".

I wonder why so many exhcnages are adopting or have adopted Litecoin specifically instead of other, more popular altcoins?
You also see it with the large Chinese exchanges, they almost exclusively have Bitcoin and Litecoin listed.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Litecoin is pretty similar to Bitcoin and supporting it doesn't require that much work?

it is the oldest altcoin.
it has a couple of good developers.
it is copying code from bitcoin, that automatically means it is good Smiley (bitcoin code is reviewed and tested, extensively)
also it is possible because they are mining it! the big mining farms are in China.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: