Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:30:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the main Bitcoin scams and how do you protect yourself against them?  (Read 4682 times)
rjefferson

Activity: 150
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 04:49:21 PM

For scams, it's always a learning lesson. However, a good rule of thumb for any scam in life would be that if it's too good to be true, it's probably a scam. All of these gimmick-y "earn free bitcoin and become a millionaire" bullshit is everywhere

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 04:28:54 AM

The best way one can protect himself best from scams related to bitcoin, is to learn from experience which I have had my own share of where I needed to convert the little coins I have gotten to cash but ended up in the hads of a scammer who used delay tactics on me but I was still immature then. But now, I just don't deal with anybody anyhow. I have a list of trusted guys to help with that and even before transacting I do a lot of ground work confirming nothing has changed since our last transaction.

As they say in the military, safety rules are written in blood. The same thing can be said here in the world of cryptocurrency and online, there are things we have to follow in order not to be victimized by so many scammers and phishers and all the other evil-minded fellows just waiting around like a lion to punch on their prospective victims. Nothing beat experience though when it comes to scams...though it can be costly indeed.

Nameless27

Activity: 322
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 02:15:36 PM

It might be a one way trip on how to learn in identifying what is scamming sites is. And that is when you have been in one of it. "Experienced is the best teacher", as they say and only at that time you will be aware what are the signs and what are those scammers are after in every clients they have. There so much good reviews about it for some reason they paid to it that's why we can't really tell until one comes your way.
Don Pedro Dinero
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1520

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2017, 05:44:34 AM

Just remembering if something looks too good to be true, it probably is. There are lots of crypto-related sites claiming that they are going to give you 1% or higher daily. Sometimes as high as 20% daily. They usually disappear as fast as they appear. If you are able to achieve such wonderful returns, why the hell are you going to give them to anyone over the internet? They remind me of the typical Nigerian scam. When I think of using a website, I search about it on the internet, nowadays you can find a lot information but bear in mind that some of the info you will find is posted by the same scammers.

Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:40:54 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2017, 09:52:12 PM by Kingofbitcoin12345

I have a sense on that way,, a gut feel when your on front of that scammed sites you have many questions and doubts in mind.. So that is the first sign so I don't joined any of those as my initial observation failed at registration.. I don't look much on reviews from any other sites other than on this forum.. Many have tried but failed because many have shared they're experienced and posting it for awareness of other members.. Search for it here and you'll find the answers..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
Granxis

Activity: 1400
Merit: 536

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:47:50 PM

Nowadays, there are many fraud methods, for example an email from an online wallet, your account is filled with X amount of bitcoin, you are thrilled to login your account and you will be stolen with a fake script. You need to be careful.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 04:31:32 AM

The best way one can protect himself best from scams related to bitcoin, is to learn from experience which I have had my own share of where I needed to convert the little coins I have gotten to cash but ended up in the hads of a scammer who used delay tactics on me but I was still immature then. But now, I just don't deal with anybody anyhow. I have a list of trusted guys to help with that and even before transacting I do a lot of ground work confirming nothing has changed since our last transaction.

No need for experiences if you already have some knowledge, still the best is to know better about awareness for scams. The one thing about scams that usually being seen and they obviously does is they make deals that are so good to be true, so it is easy to notice that it was a scam, I never been scammed before and I don't need any experiences in able to avoid being one of their victim. This blog is helpful to does who doesn't have enough knowledge and information about scams, good luck and keep it up.

I don't have any experience on scams but I have been fervently reading about the different scams out there and its nature so that I may avoid it. True enough, those who have experienced it would have an upperhand because it is said that "experience is the best teacher" however it is not exactly necessary.

I've heard about ponzi schemes, HYIPs and the like that are still present up to this very day and the best way to avoid it is to watch out for the red flags. When there is a low investment with the promise of high return in a short period time, then it is likely to be a scam. Watch out for sugarcoated and fancy promises and don't let them blind you. Most scams don't look as if they are scams at first because they are made to deceive you so always be on the look out and don't let your guard down.
savushkinTA

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:07:38 PM

Malware downloads
Hugely attractive Bitcoin transactions are often used to persuade you to download damaging software that immediately damage or lock your computer.
Nameless27

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:59:57 AM

I was once been victimized by such scam cloud mining and investing in that is the most regrettable mistakes I have ever done. But “experience is really the best teacher” and it makes me a better observant to those kind of sites offering something beyond the bond of reality.

I will not point all “cloud mining sites” but after those incidents I have never or will never be going back on those days. Time can only tell if this traumatic experience be healed or last for a lifetime.
Nahl
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:29:25 AM

bitcoin has change became valuable since the price increase so high and currently the hackers always be smarter than us but yes it's very usefull article and all of those steps was very makes sense and indeed if we do what article said it will minimise the risk to losing our bitcoin
kkent

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 05:39:56 PM

Any "doubler" is obviously a scam as well
warrior333

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 05:50:34 PM

I was once been victimized by such scam cloud mining and investing in that is the most regrettable mistakes I have ever done. But “experience is really the best teacher” and it makes me a better observant to those kind of sites offering something beyond the bond of reality.

I will not point all “cloud mining sites” but after those incidents I have never or will never be going back on those days. Time can only tell if this traumatic experience be healed or last for a lifetime.
Most of the proposals of cloud mining is a fraud. But you must admit you are to blame for that fall for their bait. If you are offered very favorable conditions to strangers then this is definitely a Scam. The best way to protect them is not to be greedy and to use only approved sites. But remember that the website is also tested through time may be a Scam.
apex944

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:19:27 AM

My general rule of thumb for bitcoin and life is this: if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Behind that would be trial and error. Slowly your intuition gets better and doing your due diligence helps A LOT
entrepmind23

Activity: 644
Merit: 261

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:41:02 AM

When transacting, always be vigilant and skeptic because you'll never know if the site or person you are transacting with is still the same site or person before. Always secure your transactions and always check the sites if it is the correct URL because just a little tweak of the site may deceive your eyes not noticing that it is a phishing site. With so many airdrops and ICOs nowadays, there are some that requires a wallet download and maybe that wallet has a virus to get your data and you end up with nothing the next time you check your funds. As for investment, I would not invest to a HYIP site because I have been scam a lot of times before being a newbie so I learned my lesson well.

░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
           ░▒█████████████████████▒░
         ▓███████████████████████████▓░
      ░███████████████▓░▒███████████████░
     ▓██████████▓▓▒░        ▒▒▓▓██████████
   ░███▓                               ▒███▒
  ░████               ▒▒▒               ████▒
 ░█████░           ░███████░            █████▒
 ██████░          ░██      ██▒          ██████
░██████░          ██       ██           ██████▒
▓██████           ██░ ░   ░██           ███████
▓██████         ████████████████        ███████
▓██████        █████████████████        ███████
░██████▒       ███████████████       ░██████▓
 ███████       █████████████████       ▓██████
 ░███████       ████████████████      ▓██████▒
  ▒███████▒       ░ ░     ░ ░       ░███████▒
   ░████████▒                     ▒████████▒
     ▓████████▓░               ░▓█████████
      ░██████████▓░          ▓██████████░
         ▓██████████▒     ▒██████████▓░
           ░▒██████████▒▓█████████▓░
                 ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
SvenBomvolen

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 08:11:23 AM

The most common that I have met is something like analogue of Bitcointalk forum where you need to pay to become a participant and then you need to pay monthly payments for the use. That's the most easy and disgusting for of people's scamming, but unfortunately such sites are blossoming.
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 10:24:26 AM

The most common that I have met is something like analogue of Bitcointalk forum where you need to pay to become a participant and then you need to pay monthly payments for the use. That's the most easy and disgusting for of people's scamming, but unfortunately such sites are blossoming.
Why do you think that such sites are a Scam? They're just warning you that you will have to pay. It's not a Scam. To protect yourself from such websites very easily. Don't pay and you don't become a victim. It is much harder to get into the hands of fraudsters who hide from you their true intentions. It is very difficult.
Pasabm

Activity: 94

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 03:30:26 PM

Beware! If you are a Bitcoin user, then you must be ready to keep your Bitcoin deposits. Although security safeguards in Bitcoin are pretty tight, it does not mean that other people will not be able to deceive you.Usually the fraud that occurs involves targeting the victims who are not ready, so they eventually lost Bitcoin in his possession.In order to protect yourself from any kind of Bitcoin fraud, you need to know what the most common forms of Bitcoin deception are, for example in fake bitcoin stock exchange, Phishing Scams, Fake Bitcoin Wallets, Cloud Mining Scams and more.
heldworld

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 03:36:45 PM

Experience is the best way to learn here, when some people tell you certain project is a scam,  you might not wanna believe until it has happened to you  Cheesy,  Experience is the best teacher in this case!
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 03:55:38 PM

That's the risk when the power is greater, come great responsibility !
When bitcoin getting greater, we have own responsibility to prevent ourself from any bad things so it's reasonable to happen.

Just becareful and do not trust anyone !
TiffanyLien23

Activity: 350
Merit: 107

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 04:35:23 PM

This thread is very helpful to me as a Jr. Member. I am new of this job. I want to know more about of this. I really don't want to join a campaign that is scam. So, in order to aware that the campaign is scam, i will research it, read the previews of the company that i want to join and read the background of it. Reading this furom can help me to learn a lot and to get aware of scam campaigns or a scam sites.

Usually, if there will be a low investment and has a high returned with a short period of time, that will probably a scam.
As far as i know, HYIP site has so many scam. Some of them will hack your account and and has a virus to access ypur data. Watching out for the red flags can also be helpful to get awared of scam sites.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: