Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking validation, am I crazy?  (Read 1758 times)
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:10:39 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2013, 06:46:32 AM by dhenson

Does anyone else have this problem?

a) I check bitcointalk.org/bitcoin.clarkmoody.com 100 times a day.
b) My friends all think I'm crazy and are tired of every conversation looping back to the merits of bitcoin.
c) I've stopped eating out, buying random stupid shit and am investing every spare penny in bitcoin.
d) I offer to settle every payment with bitcoin.  So far, not one person has said yes.
e) If bitcoin is trending up, I'm in a great mood. Down, and I'm mixing the cheapest vodka I can find with packets of crystal light pink lemonade to drown my woes.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:11:50 PM

Take a break man. Leave the coins alone, they will go up.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:17:18 PM

ok, time to take a break dude Tongue

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:21:32 PM

Man, you should also be happy when bitcoin goes down. Cheaper bitcoins for you.

skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:24:12 PM

Yeah and you should also drink vodka if it goes up, to celebrate  Tongue

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:25:38 PM

c) I've stopped eating out, buying random stupid shit and am investing every spare penny in bitcoin.

At least you became nice and frugal Smiley
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:25:48 PM

Yeah and you should also drink vodka if it goes up, to celebrate  Tongue

This + 1
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:28:23 PM

I see no problem here, except the alcohol use.  I hope it was a joke but if not, might I suggest finding a better way to deal with disappointment.  No matter how much money you ever make, you can destroy everything with this type of reaction to negative news.  I'd love to say I'm sorry for the lecture, but I'm not.  Please heed my warning.  I don't have to know you to care about you.  Please...please, please.

/Dad hat off

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:29:38 PM

I have experienced this for a couple of weeks, but the bubble burst and more sustainable bitcoin projects helped me put things back into perspective and take some distance.

I am convinced that Bitcoin is definitely a forthcoming revolution as a payment method and/or store of value, but we are definitely only at the very early beginning of this.
BitcoinUK

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:52:37 PM

I love how people panic at every price movement or think the bubble has burst, it has in fact not burst. Bitcoin is still on a growth path not a decline. The reason I say this is because a lot of people base everything on the high price. not the average or low (base) price.

so here goes.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hzwpf.jpg

The lowest prices is where your mind should be concentrating on if your a long term investor. If and only if bitcoin goes below the LOWEST price of the previous month, should you then think the bubble is bursting. Speculators will always ramp up prices beyond natural value, but if you treat the baseline (low's) as the true value marker where no one will even dare sell lower then that as its not of value to them to sell lower, you will see we are on a constant upward trend.

so as long as the price does not drop below $51 in May, and then in June the price does not drop below whatever the lowest price May ends up having. you should never have a depressing nights sleep again.
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:24:26 AM

I see no problem here, except the alcohol use.  I hope it was a joke but if not, might I suggest finding a better way to deal with disappointment.  No matter how much money you ever make, you can destroy everything with this type of reaction to negative news.  I'd love to say I'm sorry for the lecture, but I'm not.  Please heed my warning.  I don't have to know you to care about you.  Please...please, please.

/Dad hat off

The alcohol reference was mainly for humor, concern is appreciated.  My main point is that I'm now and forever a bitcoin addict and am seeking solace in the fact that others have the same affliction.

Anyone else look around their house to determine what would sell on craigslist for a quick btc turnaround?
dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:26:56 AM

The lowest prices is where your mind should be concentrating on if your a long term investor.

I 100% agree. I've been watching the Tony Coleby Chart 1.8% daily with interest.  Any time we get near the blue line, I buy.

BitcoinUK

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:27:03 AM

Anyone else look around their house to determine what would sell on craigslist for a quick btc turnaround?

do you have a wife, girlfriend or a sister between the age of 18-30? they sell very well on craigs list (i joke)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 12:27:42 AM

The next step is trying to figure out what value you can create by starting a bitcoin business. Smiley

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:30:54 AM

/Dad hat off

The alcohol reference was mainly for humor, concern is appreciated.  My main point is that I'm now and forever a bitcoin addict and am seeking solace in the fact that others have the same affliction.

Good, I was hoping so.  Then for the rest of it, let me say you are not alone in nearly anything you've said...all the way down to craigslist and I'm even getting picky with too many lights on and unnecessary waste.  Every dollar I normally wouldn't have thought twice about spending, is now a bitcoin investment opportunity wasted. Remember, you're only an addict if you go to meetings.   Grin. Kidding of course but, hey...it's hard not to be passionate.  Bitcoin rocks!

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:34:03 AM

OP, I can confirm this.  I check this site way too much.  During the time when it was getting DDoS'd, I got a lot of shit done.  Now, I have to keep checking back here to make sure I'm not missing any important BTC related news.

Anyway, as others have suggested, the cure is to be determined to stay off the stuff for a while.  I, for one, have been putting off my work all day for this site, so I'm going to stay away from Bitcoin for at least a few days.

dhenson (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:36:32 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2013, 06:45:24 AM by dhenson

deleted
BitcoinUK

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:37:55 AM

The next step is trying to figure out what value you can create by starting a bitcoin business. Smiley

Quite a lot of value

Imagine having $1000 by the time its in mtgox/bitstamp/bitinstant its normally worth 5% less ($950) you then end up buying bitcoin nearer to the high price then the low price of the day, adding on another 1-2% ($930). which today lets call it $111 average will get you 8.38BTC.

Now imagine you have a wholesaler that sales products 20% below retail price. Your $1000 becomes worth $1200 and if you set the bitcoin exchange rate at the 15 minute low (lets call it $105) you can get 11.43BTC without the worries of ID validation with exchanges or 2 day delay.

Simply because people hand you the 11.43BTC for $1200 worth of goods. and you pay your fiat to the wholesaler, not a bitcoin exchange.

BitcoinUK

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:41:02 AM

Actually, I'm a programmer for our local school district and am formulating my argument for accepting bitcoin for lunch/fee payments.  My boss knows that I'm currently a freak about bitoin so would probably dismiss my suggestion out of hand.  I just want to make sure I have all of the angles covered before bringing it up.

So far I'm thinking bitpay for processing (they even have 0% fee for non-profits).  Programming the front end would be easy as there is already a Parent Portal (we use PowerSchool).

The only part I'm stuck on is how to make buying bitcoin easy for the parents.  We really need a way to get PP/CC => BTC for the average Joe user.

Suggestions?

that answer is easy. YOU become the exchanger.
parents give you the dollar, you give them BTC, the kids give the school BTC and you swap the Dollar with the school. with ofcourse a 1-3% swap in the middle for personal profit or to give a back hander bonus to your boss
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 12:53:59 AM

Quite a lot of value

Imagine having $1000 by the time its in mtgox/bitstamp/bitinstant its normally worth 5% less ($950) you then end up buying bitcoin nearer to the high price then the low price of the day, adding on another 1-2% ($930). which today lets call it $111 average will get you 8.38BTC.

Now imagine you have a wholesaler that sales products 20% below retail price. Your $1000 becomes worth $1200 and if you set the bitcoin exchange rate at the 15 minute low (lets call it $105) you can get 11.43BTC without the worries of ID validation with exchanges or 2 day delay.

Simply because people hand you the 11.43BTC for $1200 worth of goods. and you pay your fiat to the wholesaler, not a bitcoin exchange.

I have considered this, but you have to figure in the retail side of things. Getting people to buy your stuff is not all that easy. For my wife's shop we would usually pay on average about 30% of the retail price. But from there you need to factor in getting people to actually buy your product. Advertising costs money, if you have a product and you are selling online (she was mainly a local store which had its own overhead to factor in) you need to either have the product shipped to you and stored so that you can then pack it up yourself and ship it or you can do drop shipping where the wholesaler ships for you, but then you have to deal with more competition of other drop shippers and the fact that you cannot inspect the quality of the item before it gets to your customer which could tarnish your reputation. And then you have people who take up your time asking all sorts of customer service types of questions about the quality of the item, the speed of delivery, money back guarantees, etc. And if there is anything wrong with the product you need to refund and have it shipped back to the wholesaler or have your name tarnished.

Meanwhile, you have your product sitting there advertised for sale while the price of bitcoin goes up when you could have just converted your money in the first place.

I am not saying selling things for Bitcoin is a bad idea as opposed to simply exchanging, just that there is a lot that goes into it.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: