Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:56:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin as a Computer  (Read 627 times)
Andre_Goldman (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 253

Property1of1OU

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 07:05:07 PM

Inspired by a book "The Datacenter as a Computer: an Introduction to the Design of Warehouse-scale Machines Synthesis Lectures on Computer Architecture" (isbn 9781598295566).

I wonder if you fellows see bitcoin ecosystem as ...

BTC is a huge computer ...  Cool

https://statoshi.info/dashboard/db/system-metrics

Roll Eyes

Patent1number: ****-****
U2

Activity: 676
Merit: 503

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 07:17:30 PM

Ok ya it's a huge supercomputer, we've all heard that before. But a huge supercomputer that can only solve SHA256 so... what's the real point other than being a currency?
Andre_Goldman (OP)

Property1of1OU

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 07:33:46 PM

Ok ya it's a huge supercomputer, we've all heard that before. But a huge supercomputer that can only solve SHA256 so... what's the real point other than being a currency?

we don't have mathematical proof for one-way-function quote from Bruce Schneider's book ..

if we are being strictly mathematical, we have no proof that one-way functions exist, nor any real evidence that they can be constructed230,530,600,661] [

and the funny part Grin

Even so, many functions look and smell one-way

... If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck ..

SHA256 is indeed a good start point, since SHA1 RIP (killed by Google) 

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 09:09:28 PM

Inspired by a book "The Datacenter as a Computer: an Introduction to the Design of Warehouse-scale Machines Synthesis Lectures on Computer Architecture" (isbn 9781598295566).

Not Bitcoin. You are referring to Ethereum.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
iru786

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 03:20:55 PM

Bitcoin was relatively dormant in 2015, but it is far from dead. The 21 Bitcoin Computer was released on November 16th 2015; with it comes a Raspberry Pi, a set of integrated Bitcoin payments tools, and a set of tutorials on how to use the Bitcoin Computer for undertaking various tasks.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 04:56:50 PM

Money is not a computer, this is why Ethereum will never work as money. Sure you could call the network some sort of super computer, but I dont see how that is an appropriate description, the only thing being calculated are the hashes, but Ethereum aims at being a "global computer" and that may be its downfall. Turing complete global computer... the opposite of sound money. It will never be a store of value or a currency or anything similar.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 05:20:38 PM

Money is not a computer, this is why Ethereum will never work as money. Sure you could call the network some sort of super computer, but I dont see how that is an appropriate description, the only thing being calculated are the hashes, but Ethereum aims at being a "global computer" and that may be its downfall. Turing complete global computer... the opposite of sound money. It will never be a store of value or a currency or anything similar.

Thats actually the untapped potential of ETH and this is something I have read about it some time ago but what happen is that everybody just focus on the currency aspect which I have a feeling is not sustainable long term. On the part of bitcoin, to determine whether its a computer or not is to go back memory lane to the beginning to understand the purpose of bitcoin itself which I have yet to read anywhere that it represent a super computer.
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 05:52:41 PM

What does this super computer do actually other than abiding by the bitcoin's code only without any other available function? can you render intense graphical frames with it?? bitcoin network is like a giant but with no hands and legs to walk and interact with the world, it just eats whatever we give this giant, not even ETH could be a super computer they are all just like a ticking clock without actually showing the time.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2017, 06:49:29 PM

Roll Eyes

YES!   BUT, the BTC doesn't stand for Bitcoin, it stands for Blockchain. The Blockchain is the "supercomputer". Seriously.

Ethereum provides templates of the Blockchain, for any person or organizaiton to levarge. Ethereum isn't the Blockchain, they're not the supercomputer, but they are making blockchain technology easier to access/use. They're selling supercomputers.
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 08:13:01 PM

Roll Eyes

YES!   BUT, the BTC doesn't stand for Bitcoin, it stands for Blockchain. The Blockchain is the "supercomputer". Seriously.

Ethereum provides templates of the Blockchain, for any person or organizaiton to levarge. Ethereum isn't the Blockchain, they're not the supercomputer, but they are making blockchain technology easier to access/use. They're selling supercomputers.
Nonsense, blockchain is just a bunch of data, bitcoin still isn't a super computer, miners combined together could be, but they are already doing their job which is mining. ETH or BTC could not be used for anything other than issuing coins and processing transactions.
Andre_Goldman (OP)

Property1of1OU

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 08:59:30 PM

BTC is a huge computer ...  Cool

Roll Eyes

YES!   BUT, the BTC doesn't stand for Bitcoin, it stands for Blockchain. The Blockchain is the "supercomputer". Seriously.

Nonsense, blockchain is just a bunch of data, bitcoin still isn't a super computer, miners combined together could be, but they are already doing their job which is mining. ETH or BTC could not be used for anything other than issuing coins and processing transactions.

according ETH creators, ETH is a Turing completeness[1] while Bitcoin’s scripting system was deliberately made to be not Turing-complete to protect the network’s peers from malicious and buggy code that could end up in an infinity loop or something ...

I was using the term computing in a broad sense[2] ... remember that this things bellow are (on the textbooks) considered computers too[3] ...

Abacus

Joseph Marie Jacquard, who in 1801 made the 1st programmable loom, the basis for modern data computation.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness
[2] A computer is a device that can be instructed to carry out an arbitrary set of arithmetic or logical operations automatically
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_computing_hardware

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: