Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:38:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimalization OC - GTX1070, Asus Strix.  (Read 775 times)
Taisa (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 11:10:55 PM

Hello. It is my first and probably the last one post on this forum. I`m a noob when it comes overclocking, so have mercy on me.
I don`t know if info I`m gonna share here will help anyone in the feature,
I dug a lot, read a lot of different post on different discussion boards, and I`m still clueless.
Usually these were old post (2016), and I couldn`t find anything new, or maybe I searched in inappropriate way. Several months have passed, so, many things could have changed
Besides people have different goals, different priorities, usually talk about smth vaguely.
That`s why I`ll try to be as much specific, as I it is possible.
Maybe I`m selfish, but believe me or not, a spent last two weeks searching web for info
how to build "mining rig" (and not just that)  Anyway my time (vacation) ended and soon I`ll have to move on to my normal work...I don`t have more spare time to experiment Sad, so have mercy on me, if I`m asking too much.
I`d like you to give me some advice, some clue, tell me if I`m going in the right direction.
Anyway, let`s get to the point.
First: my objective is to get as much hash as possible with appropriate power draw (as a model i took RX 580 OC, with moded bios with power draw around 80Watts).
For AMD users - nothing new, but for NVIDIA users it seems to vary...
Crypto - for now Ethereum.
As a base system I plan to use Ubuntu 16.04...

If you`re asking, why Nvidia, not AMD - the answer is simple. Right now, there`s no available cards on the market, nah maybe few but their prices are almost such high as GTX 1070.
Where I live, no one knows when they`ll get some cards, if they even get some cards.. so.. (rotfl
its a waste of time, that I don`t have... Not to mention, that whole Europe is waiting for some containers from China. ;-)
That`s why I bought one GTX 1070 - Asus (STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING) for test

Test platform: Windows 10/64bit
Miner: Claymore Dual Miner for AMD and Nvidia v 9.4
Drivers: the latest
Base clocks for Asus Strix (exact model as written above)
CPU Clock: 1633
Mem clock: 2002
Mem vendor: Micron
Out of the box it give`s me 24-25MH/s on Ethereum only and draws 150-160Watts
To measure power draw I`ve used nvidia tool - nvidia-smi because GPU-Z shows only percentage TDP (is it normal?)
For tweak i`ve used MSI Afterburner (ROG edition if I`m correct)
I must say I don`t quite understand how this thing works i prefer simple things llike Sapphire`s Trixx for AMD cards...
Anyway I managed to set:
- Core Clock + 130Mhz
- Memory Clock + 650Mhz
- Power usage 58%
After that Afterburner shows
 GPU Clock fluctuates between 1480-1550Mhz
Mem Clock 4404Mhz
Voltage 662mV
Temperature: 54C

CPU-Z shows
GPU clock 1762 Mhz
Mem Clock: 2327 Mhz
nvidia-smi show power draw at level 88-95Watts
My power meter show power draw (whole system motherboard+CPU etc + one GTX 1070) around 130-135Watts
Claymore shows hash rate between 29,5 -30,2 MH/s

Taking all of this into account. The question is.
How can I get lower power draw, if its even possible to lower it even more without decreasing hash rate, what would you suggest?
I know that specific models have better performance and OC capabilities that others so...
could you share with your settings for your cards (correspondingly
 to mine spec, using the same methodology)?
Maybe I made some misteakes in tweaking since as I said, I`m not familiar with Afterburner.
Which one card would you choose - MSI Gaming X, Z or Asus Strix (the one I bought)? There`s a difference in a price.. Not much, 30$ or smth...

I appreciate your comments. Sorry for all mistakes I`ve made.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: