Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 07:42:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few n00bish Questions about online wallet.  (Read 794 times)
gogxmagog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:18:31 AM

Hi;
Firstly, let me say I am eager to install your Armory client on my new computer, and I have read through the instructions a few times already. I have a few issues I would like to resolve before I launch into using it in earnest tho...

RAM; You state that I need 4 GB of RAM to operate the online wallet. My comp comes with 4 GB installed RAM (says 3.6 available) does Armory itself use all 4 GB? that seems like a hell of a lot, and would leave me short 0.4 GB to operate it. plus my comp would only be good to use as a wallet and I could forget about running any of the other software I use on a daily basis. Am I missing the point here? do you mean I need a 4 GB RAM comp, or I need the whole 4 GB to run armory? please elaborate.

New version coming soon; how soon, and will the new 9.0 version use less RAM?

This is a bit of a stickler for me as I am very attracted to armory's unique features, but buying a new, and frankly, at over 4 GB much more costly computer is kinda hard for me to swallow. sorry, i'm such a n00b but if you could just lay out the basic must haves in simpleton language for me it would be much appreciated. I really want me some armory protection  Wink
Joshster

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:20:14 AM

Don't worry, it will run fine on your computer. All computers always say a little less under than what you actually got in terms of RAM.
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 03:23:19 AM

Hi;
Firstly, let me say I am eager to install your Armory client on my new computer, and I have read through the instructions a few times already. I have a few issues I would like to resolve before I launch into using it in earnest tho...

RAM; You state that I need 4 GB of RAM to operate the online wallet. My comp comes with 4 GB installed RAM (says 3.6 available) does Armory itself use all 4 GB? that seems like a hell of a lot, and would leave me short 0.4 GB to operate it. plus my comp would only be good to use as a wallet and I could forget about running any of the other software I use on a daily basis. Am I missing the point here? do you mean I need a 4 GB RAM comp, or I need the whole 4 GB to run armory? please elaborate.

New version coming soon; how soon, and will the new 9.0 version use less RAM?

This is a bit of a stickler for me as I am very attracted to armory's unique features, but buying a new, and frankly, at over 4 GB much more costly computer is kinda hard for me to swallow. sorry, i'm such a n00b but if you could just lay out the basic must haves in simpleton language for me it would be much appreciated. I really want me some armory protection  Wink

The combined RAM usage of Windows and Armory together is approaching 4 GB.  It's based on an old, not-really-intended-to-be-scalable blockchain engine from 12+ months ago, built before I realized I even wanted to make a full client.  It's needed to be upgraded for a while, and I just wasn't quick enough before it went over the 4 GB cliff.  So that's why there's the scary message.  

I am in the process of not only fixing the RAM issues, but solving a ton of other, persistent issues users have been having.  Most of them are just usability issues.  But I'll definitely be a lot further ahead than I started.  Just, for the next couple weeks i have to leave the scary message up there.  I'm pretty sure the next version will be 0.9 and will use about 1/10th the RAM (and not grow with the size of the blockchain), and will start up very quickly.  But it's not even close to ready yet...

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
DAN444

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:33:49 AM

etotheipi
Hi
On your site you recommend the Eee PC from Asus
"If you are holding thousands of dollars worth of Bitcoins, it could be worth purchasing a low-end netbook just for this purpose! Something like the Eee PC from Asus costs between $200 and $300 "
"Anything with 256 MB of RAM will work."
https://bitcoinarmory.com/?s=asus

This asus mini pc only has 1 GB  RAM
Yet, at the same time, 4G of Ram is recommended according to this thread.
I m a little confused
Thanks
gogxmagog (OP)
Legendary

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:39:09 AM

so, can I run the present version? I would like to try it, primarily as a tester and not necessarily to store all my coins. I just dont want to freeze my poor little lenovo, and I also use plenty of large programs regularly (I make high res photoshop art, and edit audio and video files quite a bit) ofc I would not run these simultaneously.

you also say "a couple of weeks" and "not even close to being started" do you have an ETA for the version 9.0? cuz I'd be happy to wait if its not too, too long.

thanks for your patience with my n00bular ways.
gogxmagog (OP)
Legendary

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:41:04 AM

etotheipi
Hi
"If you are holding thousands of dollars worth of Bitcoins, it could be worth purchasing a low-end netbook just for this purpose! Something like the Eee PC from Asus costs between $200 and $300 "

I m a little confused
Thanks
he says in the instructions the asus is for the offline wallet which requires far less RAM. the online wallet requires 4 RAM. er...maybe I should let the master speak  Tongue
DAN444

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:49:42 AM

etotheipi
Hi

I m a little confused
Thanks
he says in the instructions the asus is for the offline wallet which requires far less RAM. the online wallet requires 4 RAM. er...maybe I should let the master speak  Tongue
Makes sense.

gogxmagog (OP)
Legendary

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:01:53 AM

yeah dan, this armory client isnt that complicated, the second time I read the instructions it all seemed to be pretty clear. looks like a good solid client! My concern is overloading my already overworked comp. but it seems like this will soon be a non-issue  Smiley
peace
hiloh

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:24:46 PM

Don't worry, it will run fine on your computer. All computers always say a little less under than what you actually got in terms of RAM.
Joshster scammed me for $100
gogxmagog (OP)
Legendary

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:21:19 AM

Joshster scammed me for $100

I ignored him. I'm waiting on the 0.9 version. ;-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: