Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:18:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3-4 GPU Case Idea  (Read 319 times)
Storx (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 233

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 02:59:57 PM

Firstly im curious how many watts are you managing to safely run off a single 120v house circuit with your rigs? just comparing the 1080ti to AMD RX rigs, 3 of my 1080ti cards is pulling about the same or more watts than a 6 RX480 rig...

I recently purchased 4 more GTX1080ti's after experimenting with my gaming pc with 2 gtx 1080ti's, but after purchasing the additional cards i tried to run 2 additional cards in a 2nd pc, since my main pc is watercooled and i would need to redo the loop to add a 3rd card... When i plugged the 2nd computer into the circuit of my office, the circuit breaker tripped shortly after starting the 2nd computer on a miner... so i am thinking the limit to my use of GTX1080ti's may be 3, maybe max 4 on another circuit in another room that has less electronics on the circuit, but due to only having a 2 bedroom condo i am kinda limited on where to place my mining rigs at my personal home... I have brought up the idea to my parents and been told i can put a system in my old room at their house, which is now a spare room for visitors... but i am unable to use a open case setup for this.. so i am looking for ideas to run 3 most likely, possibly 4 max in a computer case... yes i know i can get a motherboard with 3 x8/x16 slots to run 3 in the expansion slots plugged directly into the motherboard, but it seems those motherboards are far and few between and most run $250+, then the fact that the 3 cards are literally nut to butt inside the case, im concerned about the cooling when using them to mine in that configuration.. so i have been searching for ideas on running the 3 to 4 gpu's on PCIe risers, so i can space them out more which seems to be difficult to find without paying an arm and leg on custom mining cases...

The best idea to date i have come up with is just to buy a 4U server case, then rip out the hard drive swap cages in the front and just space 3 or 4 GPU's spaced out on the riser boards... but i have little knowledge running server racks and unsure if the cooling is good enough to manage the 3 to 4 cards. I have found builds in 4U server cases with 6 GPU's, but when i look into those builds, the wattage they are consuming in those 6 AMD GPU's is slighly less than my 3 1080tis would draw...

- GPUs Mining : 128 (Updated 3/7/18) // CPUs Mining : 19 (Updated 2/23/18)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: