Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:17:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I mine anything worthwhile with a single GeForce 1080 GTX?  (Read 2502 times)
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 05:04:58 PM

This is my gaming PC. I wanted to mine something like SC (Siacoin) or ETH or ETC. Or anything else that may be up and coming.

Any advice? Is my single 1080GTX enough to mine the coins mentioned above?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Machanto

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 05:27:24 PM

This is my gaming PC. I wanted to mine something like SC (Siacoin) or ETH or ETC. Or anything else that may be up and coming.

A GTX 1080 will be able to mine ETH just fine, but comes at a price. Since the card on a windows machine underperforms greatly at a hash rate of 4-5 MH/s you must install Linux that will result in a significant boost to 22-23 MH/s.However in order to determine if it will be worthwhile you need to calculate it thoroughly by trying it out yourself to get a certain result. Afterwards you should visit coinwarz and calculate with your power cost how much money you will be making in the end. By mining however you will be giving up your gaming PC.
https://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/ethereum-mining-calculator

In my opinion you shouldn't be doing it, at least with this card and by giving up your gaming PC. You can sell it and get a cheaper one along with a mining rig.

Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 05:59:18 PM

A GTX 1080 will be able to mine ETH just fine, but comes at a price. Since the card on a windows machine underperforms greatly at a hash rate of 4-5 MH/s you must install Linux that will result in a significant boost to 22-23 MH/s.However in order to determine if it will be worthwhile you need to calculate it thoroughly by trying it out yourself to get a certain result. Afterwards you should visit coinwarz and calculate with your power cost how much money you will be making in the end. By mining however you will be giving up your gaming PC.

In my opinion you shouldn't be doing it, at least with this card and by giving up your gaming PC. You can sell it and get a cheaper one along with a mining rig.

Thank you for the reply. When you say I'd be giving up my gaming PC... can I not mine when I sleep or when I'm out for the weekends or do I need to have the machine mining 24/7 to get results?

I probably won't mine ETH. But I was thinking of mining an alt coin with lower difficulty (like SC)... hoping to mine it during the night or when I go out of town.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Machanto

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 06:29:28 PM

The difficulty does not matter in mining but rather the profit. That goes accordingly to the price of the coin.

You can indeed mine when you are out or when you are sleeping but you will be getting less money compared to what you could get by letting it mine 24/7.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 06:42:56 PM

Thank you for the reply. When you say I'd be giving up my gaming PC... can I not mine when I sleep or when I'm out for the weekends or do I need to have the machine mining 24/7 to get results?

I probably won't mine ETH. But I was thinking of mining an alt coin with lower difficulty (like SC)... hoping to mine it during the night or when I go out of town.

Kinda makes no sense.

Logically - of course you can mine when you sleep only... or on the weekends only... or 24/7.

Logically it's very simple.

Mine for:
1 minute = 1min  * hash rate
8 hours   = 8hrs  * hash rate
1 wkend  = 48hrs * hash rate

Return is just based off that, so if it's worth it or not, YOU do the math. It's not difficult, calculate it, come up with a conclusion.

Orielres

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 06:53:52 PM

The difficulty does not matter in mining but rather the profit. That goes accordingly to the price of the coin.

You can indeed mine when you are out or when you are sleeping but you will be getting less money compared to what you could get by letting it mine 24/7.

That is right. You can use your computer when it is mining.
fistfullofbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:01:21 PM

i get better returns on zcash over eth with my gtx1070. sib coin is a good one as is x11ghost is better for gtx hashrate.
666mrga999

Activity: 106
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:03:24 PM

Legendary person listening to advice of a Newbie, this has got to be a troll thread.
Don't fking sell the 1080 and don't listen to anything this guy has to say.
1080 is great at ZEC, can even get super low power consumption.
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:31:45 PM

i love how difficulty doesn't matter in mining lol
Machanto

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:33:24 PM

Legendary person listening to advice of a Newbie, this has got to be a troll thread.
Don't fking sell the 1080 and don't listen to anything this guy has to say.
1080 is great at ZEC, can even get super low power consumption.

1080 is great at ZEC? Oh really? if he were to commit to a dedicated mining rig with a 580 along with a 580 for his PC that will mine only at night and weekends as he says it will be even more profitable instead of mining zec.
Machanto

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:44:07 PM

Are you implying that it does? Most altcoins aren't dominated by ASICs.This isn't bitcoin mining, you can just type the hash rate of your GPU and the power costs to determine if its actually profitable to mine a specific coin. ASICs are specialized in mining the specific algorithm for the specific coin, or multiple if they share one.
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 07:47:39 PM

Are you implying that it does? Most altcoins aren't dominated by ASICs.This isn't bitcoin mining, you can just type the hash rate of your GPU and the power costs to determine if its actually profitable to mine a specific coin. ASICs are specialized in mining the specific algorithm for the specific coin, or multiple if they share one.

yes it does, alts fluctuate by up to 50% -+ i guess mainly due to nicehash going for most profitable coin.
Machanto

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 08:01:48 PM

yes it does, alts fluctuate by up to 50% -+ i guess mainly due to nicehash going for most profitable coin.

Nicehash does not influence Altcoin prices by any considerable amount, and 50% fluctuations are extremely rare in well-established coins such as ETH, XMR, ZEC etc.
Mining plays a meager role in a coin market's supply and demand.
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 09:00:36 PM

Nicehash does not influence Altcoin prices by any considerable amount, and 50% fluctuations are extremely rare in well-established coins such as ETH, XMR, ZEC etc.
Mining plays a meager role in a coin market's supply and demand.

sorry you are wrong, z cash can clearly be seen fluctuating, nice hash has a massive mining pull on coins,(automatically mining most profitable coin) maybe not eth but the alts, i see it every day, as that is how i maximize profits.

https://www.coinwarz.com/difficulty-charts/zcash-difficulty-chart
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 09:26:13 PM

You can check out what your GTX 1080 might bring in daily, weekly, monthly and yearly here: https://www.nicehash.com/index.jsp?p=calc --- You can mine several different coins with that GPU that are currently very profitable... if you're not sure which one to mine jsut yet try out Nicehash and get paid in Bitcoin until you determine whether you want to try an altcoin out or not.
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 09:30:49 PM

You can check out what your GTX 1080 might bring in daily, weekly, monthly and yearly here: https://www.nicehash.com/index.jsp?p=calc --- You can mine several different coins with that GPU that are currently very profitable... if you're not sure which one to mine jsut yet try out Nicehash and get paid in Bitcoin until you determine whether you want to try an altcoin out or not.

in principle it is great but i had a lot of problems with the software and in the end I mine what i want. for someone new to mining worth using but i think mining coins and selling or holding them help coins to grow, part of the community.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 09:39:25 PM

in principle it is great but i had a lot of problems with the software and in the end I mine what i want. for someone new to mining worth using but i think mining coins and selling or holding them help coins to grow, part of the community.

Well, in that case I'd suggest mining ZEC, ZEN, DGB (skein algo), or SIA as the most profitable options for a GTX 1080 off the top of my head. There are other viable options too, Pascal, VTC, MONA, LBRY and more I can't think of at the moment. Smiley
LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:45:35 AM

You can mine Hush and earn one or two a day, and hope it takes off. It's a ZEC clone.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: