Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:26:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Thread for Tether ?  (Read 776 times)
Twipple (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 12:21:34 AM

I am looking to convert by bitcoin into tether for not playing on the volatility in the market right now. Does anyone know if Tether would be a good option for that ?

Also does anyone know where is their official thread on bitcointalk to read up more about it ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sp_skeptic

Activity: 110
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:01:34 AM

Read (carefully) the terms of service at tether.to/legal. You're in for a rude awakening.
Twipple (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:40:33 AM

Read (carefully) the terms of service at tether.to/legal. You're in for a rude awakening.

Is the point you referring to Anti-Money laundering ?

How would they actually keep a check on that ? And do they have control to pull out tether from a particular wallet ?
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:56:53 AM

How would they actually keep a check on that ? And do they have control to pull out tether from a particular wallet ?

No, forget the money laundering. It's the part about tethers being totally at their discretion as to whether they decide they're worth anything. Also their banking relationships are screwed.

There's no shortage of places with real dollars and you're not depending on an anonymous companys good will ,or lack of.
Twipple (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 02:06:30 AM

No, forget the money laundering. It's the part about tethers being totally at their discretion as to whether they decide they're worth anything. Also their banking relationships are screwed.

There's no shortage of places with real dollars and you're not depending on an anonymous companys good will ,or lack of.

Well tbh, My point was not to get the money into my real account right away because no one in my family knows about it.

What do you mean by places with real dollars? I would obviously have to convert to usd and pay taxes right away. Correct ?
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 02:19:17 AM

Exchanges like Gemini and bitstamp have real dollars. Tethers are just tokens that are offered by a company that is reassuring you they're redeemable for real dollars. No one but that company values them as real dollars.

Read this from here https://tether.to/legal/   'There is no contractual right or other right or legal claim against us to redeem or exchange your Tethers for money. We do not guarantee any right of redemption or exchange of Tethers by us for money. There is no guarantee against losses when you buy, trade, sell, or redeem Tethers.'

Do you find that reassuring? Gemini has fdic insurance for your dollars, a banking charter and actual regulation. There is no comparison.

Yes, even if you left dollars on an exchange the sale of your bitcoin would be taxable. I'm willing to guess that the same applies for tether if any regulator cracked down on it.

An alternative is real dollars on btc-e which doesn't care who you are, but that's a risk too.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4866

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 02:54:13 AM

I am looking to convert by bitcoin into tether for not playing on the volatility in the market right now. Does anyone know if Tether would be a good option for that ?

Also does anyone know where is their official thread on bitcointalk to read up more about it ?

IMO using tether is a gamble that should only be used if your willing to lose the value of the tether, Tether itself states they are under no obligation to redeem it for any value whatsoever but people have been considering it safe enough to trade with so if enough people trust a backed token that is not guaranteed in any way to be honored then just the trust alone seems to be enough to make the token hold it's value. I would not like to see a run on it though nor will I hold my btc in a non backed token no matter how convenient as I feel the risk is higher than the market fluctuations.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
sp_skeptic

Activity: 110
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 11:57:30 AM

What do you mean by places with real dollars? I would obviously have to convert to usd and pay taxes right away. Correct ?

I know this is not a popular opinion but every time you trade one cryptocurrency for another it is a taxable event, e.g. when you want to lock in your profits by converting some altcoin to more stable Bitcoin you have to pay tax on your paper profits on the altcoin. I have thoroughly researched the issue and I'm pretty sure that unless you are a tax attorney specializing in cryptocurrencies I know more about it than you do. Not many actually do this and are in for a rude awakening at some point.
Arcoin1

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 10:42:33 AM

Tether is one of them as there are many options in the crypto money world. You need to follow carefully and be sure to act as you may be fit for your investment.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 11:17:57 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

Tether has always been and will be a temporary place to go to in case you wanted to go to fiat and prevent some possibly losses due to drops but it is not a long term option because of its risks and even in short term it has a lot of risks since it is a centralized coin which a shady background.
in short you can use it and enjoy but don't be fooled by the false sense of security.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4866

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 11:19:41 PM

https://www.onebitcoinbuy.com/tether-usdt-price-chart-coin-market-cryptocurrency.php

Tether value – price chart, calculator to USD and GBP, buy USDT.

Tongue

What a load of bullshit, try backing those claims up.

You can't.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: