Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:32:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ALL mtgox password has been compromised, change asap, everywhere you used it  (Read 17567 times)
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:11:52 PM

Emails received, thanks all.

Bit_Happy, if you had an account on MtGox you could easily verify it. My account was on there.

Thanks guys for the info on the strength of the encryption.

I wasn't going to bother with Rapidshare.
Remember all the trolls a week ago. It was possible that, everyone screaming about this is phony, but now I know for certain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:13:42 PM

They have my username and the email I signed up with. I cannot confirm that it is my password. The hash must be salted.
DamienBlack

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:15:06 PM

They have my username and the email I signed up with. I cannot confirm that it is my password. The hash must be salted.
kokojie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:15:37 PM

It's not entirely clear if the attacker got access to the Mt.Gox source code, but at the moment it's probably safer to assume the salt was compromised as well.

It's definitely NOT safe, someone just showed me a big list of cracked mtgox passwords on IRC channels. It's likely that salt has already been discovered.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:16:05 PM

Change them asap, anywhere you used it.
If anyone out there is still using the same password on more than one site then take this opportunity to stop doing that. Get some kind of password manager and use a different random password of the maximum length and complexity each web site you register on allows.
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:17:25 PM

Bit_Happy: PM sent. I'm 99% certain it's legit.

It's not entirely clear if the attacker got access to the Mt.Gox source code, but at the moment it's probably safer to assume the salt was compromised as well.

Exactly. When you see a DB leak for a site you're a member of, you don't sit around wondering how strong the hashing mechanism is you start changing your passwords. If you only used the password on MtGox, oh well you don't really have anything to do right now. If you reused the same password anywhere else, stop thinking about how strong the hash is and change your freakin' password - the effort required for the latter is much less than the former and then it's done... from your perspective the information that's leaked is no longer valid. Whether it takes 2 minutes or 2 years to crack your password is irrelevant if you've already changed it someplace else.

Password hashing isn't meant so that a bunch of fools can sit and think "I'm safe" - it's to buy you time between when the credentials are taken, and when they're useful... to give you a chance to make them not useful.

^_^
Man From The Future

Activity: 371

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:20:31 PM

It would appear that almost all the acounts are hashed with unique salts. The issue is, it is still easy to crack any of the weaker passwords with this, thanks to GPU MD5 crackers. Most bitcoin miners have soo much GPU power anyway...

Some passwords from earlier accounts appear to have NO SALT. That, or salt is derived from username. I don't know, sinc eI've not tried cracking any, and do not want to. Smiley

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:24:15 PM

Uh, the salt is right there in the file.  Look at line 1.  Password hash is $1$E1xAsgR1$vPt0d/L3f81Ys3SxJ7rIh/

The bold part is the salt for that hash.

The italic part is md5(password + salt)

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Uzza

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:24:58 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2011, 10:57:39 PM by Uzza

I'm not that worried, my password is quite long and secure.
carlerha

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:26:22 PM

Looks like the kind of hashes that come out of phpass.
I guess that means if the attackers managed to get hold of the salt, I'm prone to change my password.
zerokwel

Activity: 464

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:28:20 PM

well look at what some of the users have in there rigs and there are programs like Extreme GPU Bruteforcer out there that can do up to 700million passwords a sec on a geforce 250 and with what people here have in there rigs it would not take long at all.

Anyway change ya passwords to be safe and if you use the same password on another site change that as well (use a different password this time)

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:30:58 PM

I'm certainly never using MtGox again. Who uses MD5 for password hashing nowadays?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ghost

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:38:17 PM

This is why all websites should be using bcrypt for password hashing. It's an adaptive hashing function that can be made to perform slower over time as computers get faster. Authentication on websites does not require a fast hashing function for just this reason.

I use 1Password for password management. It was Mac only until recently - there is now a Windows version out there. I had to double check whether I was following my own best practices but I did use a unique password for mtgox.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:40:37 PM

I'm certainly never using MtGox again. Who uses MD5 for password hashing nowadays?

User #8 is quitting?? Craziness.
gentakin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:43:03 PM

Some passwords appear to be without a salt.

For example, check user id #156. Google for the hash shown as "password" in accounts.csv. Find the password on a forum. (The forum post that comes up on the google search might shed some light on the guy who hacked mtgox?)

So... Anyone with a plain md5 hash (no $-signs) as password in accounts.csv should be worried.

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:45:26 PM

it would have been nice to keep emails encoded mtgox...
LeFBI

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:52:53 PM

If the salt hasn't been compromised, then the passwords should be safe, no?
there is no >the salt< in this case it's 59231 password hashes with 59219 >different< salts. and ~1700 simple md5 hashes.

well look at what some of the users have in there rigs and there are programs like Extreme GPU Bruteforcer out there that can do up to 700million passwords a sec on a geforce 250 and with what people here have in there rigs it would not take long at all.
we're talking about md5crypt a.k.a MD5(Unix) a.k.a. FreeBSD MD5 ...not simple md5()!
with a decent gpu you'll be lucky to get ~1.5Mhash/s per gpu, not 700M. On a single HD4870 i get ~640.0k/s , that's nothing.
anything else than a wordlist attack is pretty useless on these hashes. so if you have a at least decent 8char pass, you should be fine.
if you're one of the poor guys, who's pass was encrypted with simple md5()...well good luck then. but the rest shouldn't worry too much.

however everyone still should change his password when they are back online
DamienBlack

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:59:19 PM

Someone with a network should email everyone on the list and let them know.
Man From The Future

Activity: 371

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:00:15 PM

Someone with a network should email everyone on the list and let them know.

Issue is you'd probably en dup on spam blacklists. Sad

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Durr

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:04:00 PM

If the salt hasn't been compromised, then the passwords should be safe, no?
there is no >the salt< in this case it's 59231 password hashes with 59219 >different< salts. and ~1700 simple md5 hashes.

we're talking about md5crypt a.k.a MD5(Unix) a.k.a. FreeBSD MD5 ...not simple md5()!
with a decent gpu you'll be lucky to get ~1.5Mhash/s per gpu, not 700M. On a single HD4870 i'll get ~640.0k/s , that's nothing.
anything else than a wordlist attack is pretty useless on these hashes. so if you have a at least decent 8char pass, you should be fine.
if you're one of the poor guys, who's pass was encrypted with simple md5()...well good luck then. but the rest shouldn't worry too much.

however everyone still should change his password when they are back online

Except that an account with 500k and other accounts were hacked and it's true. So you're opinion that it's all ok is bs.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: