Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:12:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloaded Exodus desktop wallet but don't see updates coin prices, why?  (Read 2773 times)
bitcoin talk (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 12

Join us at slack https://bitcoin-talkers.slack.com

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 02:10:28 PM

Downloaded Exodus desktop wallet but don't see any of the current prices, I see zero's for all listed coins.
Also I double clicked it Exodus icon on my desktop and it opened up, why didn't it ask me to set up a password for it?
I haven't sent money to it yet as I would like to set up a password to run with it before I do that.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LLec

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2017, 03:08:38 PM

You need to have assets (coins sent to it first!) to be able to see the price of how much they are worth.
And in to regards of the password when you login to the wallet:
I noticed it only comes up when I put a large amount in the wallet (over $550) then the next time I opened it
It all the sudden asked me to set up a password.
And from then on I had to enter it in no matter how much I had in the wallet even if it was empty.
It seems to be adaptive in it's way of security of your assets hence your coins. Grin
bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:02:49 AM

You need to have assets (coins sent to it first!) to be able to see the price of how much they are worth.
1. Who am I actually selling to when I sell say BTC for ETH using Exodus. Am I selling to developers of Exodus?
2. When I double click and open the program, does it instantaneously know the current live prices? is it that quick?

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6122

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 06:04:25 AM

1. Who am I actually selling to when I sell say BTC for ETH using Exodus. Am I selling to developers of Exodus?
2. When I double click and open the program, does it instantaneously know the current live prices? is it that quick?

You are not buying from the exodus team, the wallet is using the ShapeShift API so you are basically using that exchange, the price are taken from either CryptoMarketCap or Coincomapare (Yes it is quick). If you want to be able to set a password and get your passphrase In order to recover your wallet later, you need to send some funds to your wallet (a few cents are just fine)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 08:40:07 AM

You are not buying from the exodus team, the wallet is using the ShapeShift API so you are basically using that exchange, ...
Will ShapeShift demand ID (verification) even though I am using my own Exodus desktop wallet, no matter how large the amount?

bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 04:54:44 PM

I noticed it only comes up when I put a large amount in the wallet (over $550) then the next time I opened it
And from then on I had to enter it in no matter how much I had in the wallet even if it was empty.
It seems to be adaptive in it's way of security of your assets hence your coins.
I sent $20 to it a few hours ago, still nothing. Did I do the right thing when I clicked Receive on Exodus and copy and paste the
btc address to my online wallet so as to send it. I mean how does a newly installed Exodus desktop wallet know if the btc address it gave me to use to receive btc from my other online wallet, not been used by others considering the program mentions nothing about syncing with the btc blockchain. It's a small amount I'm not sweating it.

brobbel

Activity: 966
Merit: 342

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:00:38 PM

You are not buying from the exodus team, the wallet is using the ShapeShift API so you are basically using that exchange, ...
Will ShapeShift demand ID (verification) even though I am using my own Exodus desktop wallet, no matter how large the amount?

Shapeshift doesn't require ID. They only exchange cryptocoins, no fiat, and only for smaller amounts. When you want to exchange 100 BTC to LTC it can only be done in small portions.

It seems to be adaptive in it's way of security of your assets hence your coins.
I sent $20 to it a few hours ago, still nothing. Did I do the right thing when I clicked Receive on Exodus and copy and paste the
btc address to my online wallet so as to send it. I mean how does a newly installed Exodus desktop wallet know if the btc address it gave me to use to receive btc from my other online wallet, not been used by others considering the program mentions nothing about syncing with the btc blockchain. It's a small amount I'm not sweating it.

There are so many possibilities creating a new BTC address that the chance you will get an existing address is even smaller then picking up the same grain of sand on the beach as the tourist who went to the beach four years ago.
LLec

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2017, 06:19:08 PM

Yes. This is the right process to receive to your wallet.
It is just like if you were using a blockchain.info wallet. You are given a btc address and it will retain that address to that same wallet for it's entire lifecycle. No matter what.
If you have not received that $20 yet you should take that btc address you copied from Exodus and put it into blockchain to check where it is along it's route and how much of a fee was sent with it.
If it wasn't enough then it will take longer than usual. And if not confirmed after 72 hours it will be rejected by the blockchain and sent back to where it came from.
Just adjust the fees you put on it to make sure it can get a chance to confirm to the exodus address that was given.
bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:51:33 AM

...if not confirmed after 72 hours it will be rejected by the blockchain and sent back to where it came from.
I'll wait the 72 hours and update here. Nice to know it will return whence it came from.
Just adjust the fees you put on it to make sure it can get a chance to confirm to the exodus address that was given.
Can you do that on blockchain.info after-the-fact?

brobbel

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:46:28 AM

...if not confirmed after 72 hours it will be rejected by the blockchain and sent back to where it came from.
I'll wait the 72 hours and update here. Nice to know it will return whence it came from.
Can you do that on blockchain.info after-the-fact?

Not on blockchain, but search for "unconfirmed transaction" and you will find many threads, many with solutions for this.
bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:56:34 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2017, 05:10:11 AM by bitcoin talk

Not on blockchain, but search for "unconfirmed transaction" and you will find many threads, many with solutions for this.
I checked my blockchain.info wallet and it appears 100% confirmed many times over and no mention of the pending sign in the transactions  What now? Perhaps the address that the Exodus wallet spawned was used prior by someone else? No so concerned about the missing $20 rather just want Exodus desktop wallet to work properly for future transactions.

brobbel

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:30:31 AM

I checked my blockchain.info wallet and it appears 100% confirmed many times over and no mention of the pending sign in the transactions  What now? Perhaps the address that the Exodus wallet spawned was used prior by someone else? No so concerned about the missing $20 rather just want Exodus desktop wallet to work properly for future transactions.

If you send it to the right address, it should be visible in Exodus. I've never encountered problems with that.

You can search on blockr.io if the information on blockchain.info is correct. Put the address from your Exodus wallet in there, and see if the transaction appears.
If so, contact Exodus directly. They have a very good, responsive team.

http://support.exodus.io/knowledge_base/topics/how-can-i-contact-exodus
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 02:44:27 AM

I'm sorry for the delay for answering you but I had to ask the developers of the wallet to make sure that the answer is right and to answer your question, an ID is never required while trading with Exodus.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:11:29 AM

I'm sorry for the delay for answering you but I had to ask the developers of the wallet to make sure that the answer is right and to answer your question, an ID is never required while trading with Exodus.
Thank you OmegaStarScream and everyone else for your help.

Update:
The $20 got deposited into my Exodus Desktop wallet so it's all good. I'll probably go ahead with the larger amounts now, though there is an inkling of apprehension. Finally got around to getting a desktop wallet after many years of online wallet; forced to because of the upcoming hard fork - kind of pushed to do it.

bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 09:40:40 AM

Does the price for the coins in the Exodus desktop wallet go up and down when the rest of the market does?
The price in the Exodus desktop wallet looks static, when in fact its actually gone up slightly on coinmarketcap.
Actually I just took another peak at the Exodus desktop wallet and it has adjusted its price by a cent.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 12:30:17 PM

Does the price for the coins in the Exodus desktop wallet go up and down when the rest of the market does?
The price in the Exodus desktop wallet looks static, when in fact its actually gone up slightly on coinmarketcap.
Actually I just took another peak at the Exodus desktop wallet and it has adjusted its price by a cent.

It really depends from where you are taking the prices from. Exodus could take from both Cryptocompare and CoinMarketCap, you could check by making the developer menu visible: CTRL + SHIFT + D. If you already have it on CoinMarketCap then It's possible that the Exodus wallet don't make requests all the time (maybe each x minute).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 09:03:09 PM

...check by making the developer menu visible: CTRL + SHIFT + D. If you already have it on CoinMarketCap then It's possible that the Exodus wallet don't make requests all the time (maybe each x minute).
My Exodus balance now is is US$10.39 in BTC and when I clicked exchange BTC for ETH in Exdous I noticed the balance for my BTC account is USD $7.14. At this point I haven't actually exchanged anything yet my BTC balance has gone done to $7.14 from $10.39 simply by pressing the Exdous Exchange button. The spread appears to be 0.468% below.

If I went ahead with the BTC to ETH exchange I would get:
0.0153254824919872 $5.34 ETH
for
0.00242052 $7.14 BTC   (my starting balance was $10.39 BTC though)
spread: 0.468%

Q: Why did my BTC balance go from $10.39 to $7.14 straight away after I clicked Exchange?
Is that the difference in money going to shapeshift.io for services rendered (if I went ahead)?
Q: For larger amounts from BTC to ETH is it cheaper to use a bitrex or poloniex for exchanges from BTC to ETH rather than Exodus?

brobbel

View Profile
June 12, 2017, 03:36:19 AM

Q: Why did my BTC balance go from $10.39 to $7.14 straight away after I clicked Exchange?
Is that the difference in money going to shapeshift.io for services rendered (if I went ahead)?
Q: For larger amounts from BTC to ETH is it cheaper to use a bitrex or poloniex for exchanges from BTC to ETH rather than Exodus?

The difference in money is money going to shapeshift.io (small part) and transferfee (biggest part). Transferring bitcoins is expansive unfortunately.

Bittrex and Poloniex have sometimes better rates then Shapeshift, but not always. Transferring bitcoins to those exchanges will be expansive also, and they are taking part of the exchanged amount (0.15 - 0.25%) also.

Big advantage of Exodus using Shapeshift instead of exchanging it yourself (Yes, you can use Shapeshift outside Exodus as well!) is the service of Exodus.
When something goes wrong you have to contact the very good responsive Exodus team for support and they will help you out. This is much faster then the support of Shapeshift, especially when there is a high load on support. BTW support of Shapeshift is much faster then the other exchanges is my experience.
So for comparison: Exodus support is much faster then Shapeshift support, which is much faster then Poloniex/Bittrex support. The latter two are bad in handling support tickets, it can take weeks before they answer, while Exodus is hours. And yes, Exodus corrects the error before contacting Shapeshift so in those cases they lend you the money (!). Fortunately those mistakes aren't very common.

bitcoin talk (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 10:10:17 PM

What will Exodus do when the hard fork for bitcoin kicks in?
Is my Exodus desktop wallet balance (holdings) going to be classified as the BTC new fork or old fork rates?
The money sitting in my Exodus desktop wallet, who will decide what whether it will be known as after hard fork?
Is someone from Exodus going to let me know, or do I just sit and wait for someone to tap me on the shoulder?

brobbel

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 04:24:20 AM

What will Exodus do when the hard fork for bitcoin kicks in?
Is my Exodus desktop wallet balance (holdings) going to be classified as the BTC new fork or old fork rates?
The money sitting in my Exodus desktop wallet, who will decide what whether it will be known as after hard fork?
Is someone from Exodus going to let me know, or do I just sit and wait for someone to tap me on the shoulder?

First: with Exodus you own the private key. So if there is a hard fork, there are two chains. No matter what Exodus decides (chain #1, chain #2 or both), if Exodus decides one chain only, you still have access to your funds in the other fork. You only have to install another wallet which follow the other chain. But ofcourse when this will happen, there will be chaos the first days (then you better don't send any money with any wallet) and after a short time it will be settled down and you can see.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: