Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:14:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ShapeShift Sent My Refund To The Wrong Address - Lost $2,000  (Read 735 times)
aktivis (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:13:26 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2017, 10:43:26 PM by aktivis

Yesterday, I sent 4,000 GNT to ShapeShift and the transaction failed for being over their limit. In the initial transaction, I put my wallet address in their Refund Address slot. When the transaction failed, I opened a ticket and put the same wallet address in their Refund Address section of their ticket as well.

ShapeShift returned the 4,000 GNT, but sent it to the tx hash of the original transaction. They extracted the last 40 characters of the tx id, added 0x to the beginning, and decided that's where the money would go. It's valued at $2,000 USD, and I'm not hearing about receiving these funds from their support team at this time.

Hopefully they can figure out what's wrong and make it right.

Edit: Extracted instead of 'cut off'
Edit: ShapeShift is looking into the issue
Edit: ShapeShift completely fixed the issue and returned the coins! Done deal.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8008

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:26:31 PM

Yesterday, I sent 4,000 GNT to ShapeShift and the transaction failed for being over their limit. In the initial transaction, I put my wallet address in their Refund Address slot. When the transaction failed, I opened a ticket and put the same wallet address in their Refund Address section of their ticket as well.

ShapeShift returned the 4,000 GNT, but sent it to the tx hash of the original transaction. They cut off the last 40 characters of the tx id, added 0x to the beginning, and decided that's where the money would go. It's valued at $2,000 USD, and I'm not hearing about receiving these funds from their support team at this time.

Hopefully they can figure out what's wrong and make it right.

Seriously? 
A txid is a sha256(sha256(transaction data)) which will always yield a 64 character hex string.  Taking off 40 chars leaves you with 24 and placing a 0x at the beginning changes nothing as it is already a hexadecimal number.  This wouldn't be a valid address.  Can you provide any real data?
examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 3169

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2017, 09:25:08 PM

Exchanges without registration are not too good options for me. I would like to hear why some advantage to using only security key, and not email, username, password, 2FA..

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Dmitry.Vastov

Activity: 840
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 01:00:01 AM

First, that's their problem. They send the funds to the wrong address. Means, that's their responsible to fix. You don't need to worry. You don't do anything wrong with that. But they fixed the problem. Meaning, they have good customer support and commited to their customers as well. That's good to know. I guess they're better than Coinbase. Coinbase's customer support is crap.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8008

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 01:10:28 AM

Yeah.  I saw the transactions you posted previously but I couldn't make sense of them.  Glad Shapeshift fixed their issue and made you whole.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 769

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:30:28 AM

Accidents do really happen but its good that they do make such fast actions and return it whole.Since the issue have been resolved then better to lock thread and there no need to discuss even further.
Ive been using shapeshift in the past and it went smooth without any problems thats why its really important to read up faqs or information regarding on instruction and on to their limits to avoid problems in the future.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
mmo4me.2016

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 02:15:50 PM

ShapeShift is great exchange to me, but i think they need to fix and contact with you about this problem!
Hope good for me and more!
Thánkss
Lorilikes

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

Content| Press Releases | Articles | Strategy

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 07:01:15 AM

Shapeshift is annoyingly popular lately, and I am outraged by the way they treat matters of error.  I empathize with the original poster because I too watched as over half of a tranasaction vanished, before my eyes. This was money that I converted through their service, through a third party, and they left absolutely nothing to explain the gap between transactions on either blockchain relative to the funds. (I converted   Dash to Btc  ).   When I asked to see the blockchain details related to the "Magical shift" they only answer I was offered was a generic one.  They didn't even try to investigate my issue even though I provide dash tx if and the btc tx id.  Every fee and every portion of their shift is required to be a part of the blockchain for the coins they "shift" but they are not doing so. This may be one of the only instances where a entity could possibly swindle people who usually have a public access to the history of the transactions for their coins.   It seems to me that when a company offers to be the middle man between multiple coins this presents a hard to trace opportunity for frivolous fees to morph into something more sinister.  By that I mean.... who is to stop the middle man from keeping whatever he feels like keeping before passing the remaining amount to the other side?   They required no confirmation from me to complete the transaction, no pop up stating the amount that would be expected on the other side of the deal, and no indication of why money disappeared into their wallets.  No data at all on dash or btc chains.  Isn't that crazy?  They just shrugged me off saying fees are same for big and small shifts, and when I asked how they account for the fees, where do they record the data they ignored the inquiry.  

I smell a new brand of opportunists, or worse.

Sorry they are doing it on such a big amount (to the op).

I am tempted to rename them "SHITshifter"

Ask Me About Press Releases and Content Creation
★▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃★

★▃ ▂⭐️⭐️▂ ▃ ★✨
✨★▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃ ★✨

⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️

★▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️▂ ▃★

⭐️▂ ▃ ▅ ▆⭐️▆ ▅ ▃ ▂⭐️
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: