Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:02:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins in Africa?  (Read 874 times)
btvGainer
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2017, 11:31:28 AM

Only thing I see with Africa is that the infrastructure. I don't know if African country has the setup like Internet that will really help bitcoin their exposure to a large public. How can they take advantage of bitcoin if proper infrastructure like internet is not set-up? So for me, establishing facilities (buildings, power and internet) should be the priority.

They have, though I doubt that it's of somewhat grand compared to what we have even in 3rd world countries. That's my initial sentiment in bringing bitcoins to Africa: how can people use it if even cellular internet is too expensive to even use and to implement? Only the rich, I think, would be able to fully utilize bitcoin since internet connectivity and hardware would be the main issue in this one.
Not just infrastructure but also mindset of people to adopt new things.Asia is better than Africa in terms of infrastructure and literacy but even there,cryptocurruncy has to established itself among masses.
Besides infrastructure what we need is to change the mindsets.
dihari

Activity: 910
Merit: 525

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 12:47:56 PM

Lot of people are living on there, and it have a huge potential to grow any economic business on there. But for cryptocurrencies, I am a bit wondering if they're​ all have access to Internet or computer or smartphone maybe. No offense, because even Asia many people still don't get this technology on some place. One thing should be great to develop there is, fintech that offer financial or lending platform with blockchain system. Unbanked people is the main target.

iram3130
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010

ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 01:01:13 PM

The people of Africa can earn from bitcoins greatly, most of their currencies rate is very less and earning bitcoins will give them good financial stability to them. But the problem with Africa is that rich getting richer and the poor is getting poorer. I think there are one or two coins which concentrated on Africa, need more.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 01:04:17 PM

I'm currently very interested in Africa's bitcoin future. I am going to visit there at the start of 2018 and find out more.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
GlassMaster

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 01:04:48 PM

Bitcoin will be very good for the development of the African economy and will provide an opportunity for many to obtain a source of income.

TrumpD

Activity: 602
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 01:07:34 PM

A few people have come wondering about Bitcoin in Africa and i thought too as well until i was informed that they are quite comfortable in their "Mpesa" system, that really does ALOT for them, all through their phones. It's a shame as its a prime example of use case for crypto, but a corporation did it instead Sad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Pesa

Mpesa has nothing to do with crypto,  Mpesa is mobile money, supported by banks and the telecommunications companies. Mpesa is Fiat, and Mpesa works ONLY in Kenya,  Kenya is one country in East Africa,  Africa has 54 independent countries. There are many African countries well versed in using bitcoins informally.
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 01:20:54 PM

I've been to west Africa and I can confidently say they are really spearheading the use of Bitcoin in Africa, Nigeria and Ghana to be precise are gearing up for the cryptocurrency generation. I couldn't believe the number of exchanges both formal and informal that operate in those countries. I was actually impressed with one of them called payplux (payplux.com) they actually let you buy bitcoins from your phone with fiat(mobile money-mpesa) and then they will credit your account within an hour and the same process works if you have bitcoins and want to sell for fiat.
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 01:24:42 PM

Going by the kind of discussions around social medial platforms on bitcoins/cryptocurrencies, the East African market is warming up to a future with bitcoins/altcoins. But given the potential, is the speed and frequency hopeful for digital currencies, comparatively speaking? Could someone consider ICOs with an African perception?

Kobocoin focused on Africa and Humaniq did an ICO

Yeah Humaniq did an ICO targeting millions of undereducated, unbanked people with providing 4th generation humanitarian mobile banking plus P2P lending and insurance. Africa is underdeveloped, suffering from years of poverty, water scarcity, lack of basic education, lack of healthcare. A couple of ICOs would not make much changes in the current African socioeconomic conditions. A string of ICOs targeting the major areas like the NGOs working in Africa are doing now is needed.
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 02:35:33 AM

I think any third world country should use bitcoins. It makes things easier and not all if the people have access or can even open up a bank account. With Bitcoin this problem is void and enables the people to make trades freely with no holds barred or need for documentation and other things. Perhaps one day an altcoin for Africa will be created with very low transfer fees to make low value trades plausable. At the moment the fees are far too high for a third world country to handle. Remember in some places you can get s full meal for the price if the fee you pay.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: