Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:44:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will ETH mining difficulty come down?  (Read 2304 times)
whoareyou4 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 04:53:46 PM

After the bomb fix is in or with it slow? OR, will POS be implemented first?
reids

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:05:31 PM

It will only get worse from here.
whoareyou4 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:13:07 PM

Would a strategy of mining ETH until it's not viable and then switching to another easier mined and more profitable coin be a good strategy?
reids

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:29:47 PM

Would a strategy of mining ETH until it's not viable and then switching to another easier mined and more profitable coin be a good strategy?

Yes, I believe that's what 99% of eth miners (including me) are planning to do!
whoareyou4 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 05:31:16 PM

And as a rough estimate...how long does the hardware remain usable for mining alt coins in general...I'd assume 18 months or so?
spyshagg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 06:05:49 PM

I'm counting on all of you to do that.  eheh
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 06:23:10 PM

And as a rough estimate...how long does the hardware remain usable for mining alt coins in general...I'd assume 18 months or so?

Just depends, I still have 290X's I bought years ago that are viable

grape_tectonics

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 09:40:29 PM

~75% of all gpu mining profits currently come from ETH. It is by far the biggest gpu mineable altcoin and the only reason why other gpu algorithms have such high rates as well (otherwise there would be nobody mining them). When ETH goes tits up everybody will be left with the remaining 25%. If your strategy can withstand that hit within the next half a year then its a brilliant one.
gateway

Activity: 552
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 10:46:12 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2017, 11:08:49 PM by gateway

You can see how much the difficulty has risen over the past month or so here.

Look at the last month and its gone from 370 to 656 (as of the time of this writing) thats a change of 286.

One of my rigs which gets around 171 MH/s generates about .2 ETH every 38-45 hours give or take.  At the current price of $279 is about $55.80 for every .2 ETH I'm generating now minus power, this also doesn't include Decred which is rising in price and helps pay any power.

When ETH changes to POS and makes mining for ETC obsolete you can always go to other coins.  I believe we will see the price of ETH sink, as to how far who knows.  

You also have the option to mine ETC which current difficulty on another rig doing around my same hash rate as my ETH (171) I'm pulling in 1 - 2 coins a dayish.  However ETC has been stuck at the price of $17 for some time now and who knows if we will see it go up. Difficulty change in the last month for ETC has only increased by 15.

I'm sure we can do the math if you mine ETC, lets say 1.5 coins a day running at around 170MH/s at the price of $17 would be around $765 plus any bonus money from Decred after power is paid, which then you could by some ETH if you wanted to with it, or hope that ETC's adoption and price goes up.

Its all a game you need to figure out yourself.  

However if your thinking ETH difficulty will go down, I have to say its only going to get higher as people can get their hands on more GPU's (prob another big wave of them in July) until you cant mine ETH anymore due to switch to POS.

Enjoy it while it lasts!
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 11:43:47 PM

Most likely the price will go down far enough to make it very unprofitable rather than POS finally going live.

That and the huge linear difficulty increase we get everyday.

POS is the least of our worries.
gateway

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 11:59:30 PM

Most likely the price will go down far enough to make it very unprofitable rather than POS finally going live.

That and the huge linear difficulty increase we get everyday.

POS is the least of our worries.

I think POS may just kill ETH.. but who knows..
topgeek

Activity: 96

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:02:30 AM

What do you think is going to happen to the other coins when the 19 million cards mining ETH all of a sudden need to find something new to mine?
gateway

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:08:38 AM

What do you think is going to happen to the other coins when the 19 million cards mining ETH all of a sudden need to find something new to mine?

Um thats kinda obvious, every that can be gpu mined will have an increase in difficulty.  Grin

Hence why I have 2 rigs one mining ETH and one doing ETC which has a super low difficulty right now.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:32:21 AM

One reason I've not been building AMD-based rigs - the options for NVidia include several where AMD is not competative.

Then the massive RX 470/480/570/580 shortage hit, and the price gouging got crazy, which seems to be having somewhat of a negative impact on my planning.....

8-(

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:43:03 AM

One reason I've not been building AMD-based rigs - the options for NVidia include several where AMD is not competative.

Then the massive RX 470/480/570/580 shortage hit, and the price gouging got crazy, which seems to be having somewhat of a negative impact on my planning.....

8-(

Then people will mine those Nvidia optimized coins with their unoptimized AMD GPUs and it will make the difficulty rise either way and cut into your profits.

Your Nvidia aren't protected against market value either since I am pretty sure a 2 x 480 8GB crossfire setup equals GTX 1080 in gaming and if 480 are stupid cheap, then nobody will buy any GTX 1080's.

adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 02:32:05 AM

do you think its still worth building new machines for mining eth?

i made my first mining rig last week with 5x gtx 580.

Nobody knows when bubble will burst. Just don't buy your GPUs using credit cards and you should be fine.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:18:45 AM

Nobody knows when bubble will burst. Just don't buy your GPUs using credit cards and you should be fine.
Silly advice, you get 1-3% rewards with most credit cards, now just don't buy them with money you don't have. Pay off those credit cards monthly.

I am pretty sure most newbies here have bought their rigs with their 20% APR credit cards max out at $20K. Like during the Litecoin days.

testingmytheories

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:21:00 AM

Hi guys,

I have been lurking for a while now and thought I would make an account! I just got a mining rig, 7 GTX 1070's and am planning to mine ETH and see how it goes for a month. I have been concerned with the mining difficulty and feel like I can always switch to ZEC if ETH's difficulty goes up to a level that is unsustainable. I was thinking about just mining ZEC and buying another rig for ETH but hell it is so hard to get GPU's nowadays.
MCMK

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:25:13 AM

Silly advice, you get 1-3% rewards with most credit cards, now just don't buy them with money you don't have. Pay off those credit cards monthly.

I am pretty sure most newbies here have bought their rigs with their 20% APR credit cards max out at $20K. Like during the Litecoin days.

Oh please tell me this isn't true, people learned there damn lessons right? I didn't even think anyone would gamble on hardware anymore especially with losing their asses on interest.

But my CC has 3% cash back ignore the 25% interest it carries!!! THREE PERCENT CASH BACK!!! free money.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 06:08:44 AM

8-(

Then people will mine those Nvidia optimized coins with their unoptimized AMD GPUs and it will make the difficulty rise either way and cut into your profits.

Your Nvidia aren't protected against market value either since I am pretty sure a 2 x 480 8GB crossfire setup equals GTX 1080 in gaming and if 480 are stupid cheap, then nobody will buy any GTX 1080's.

My primary option isn't a case of "AMD is unoptimised", it's a case of "AMD isn't even close to being competative on ANY basis".

However, the apparent supply shortage that has started the last couple days of the GTX 1070 IS a bit worrying....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: