Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:36:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [HELP and MORE]How to make a new Alt-coin, Important parts!  (Read 1949 times)
akabmikua (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:06:42 PM

I am asking very simple things here (for most people). I don't know if these has been asked before.

How to make a new Alt-Coin based on Bitcoin (or Litecoin)??

There are questions in my mind:

1. What to choose as base? Bitcoin, Litecoin or something else?
2. How to generate the Genesis Block?
3. What all other things to edit in order to make it?
4. What all things are expected from a 'good' coin? By this, I mean, the total coins, time for each mined block, etc etc...
5. Build it on Linux or Windows?

Any answers?

If there are more thread on the forum answering these questions, please let me know.
I tried Google, but was not able to find much.

I would also write up a Guide on making your own alt-coin if I succeed.

Please Answer!!!

BTC: 16V3WVdW1oXbgAdDHKHdvJ9Msm4CSDrigf
Always, respect. Join CEX.IO and we both get advatage.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
someguy123

Activity: 336
Merit: 254

CEO of Privex Inc. (www.privex.io)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 03:43:06 PM

Read up here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175891.0

It's a long thread, but it's definitely one of the most informative ones.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 03:51:59 PM

I'm sure your alt-coin will be innovative, We all hope you succeed.

Ps : what's wrong with the ALTCOIN section ?
akabmikua (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:27:59 PM

I obviously read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175891.0 which most of the people are giving as an option to read.

Anything else? It is informative but still not as good as I want.

Will try the whole thing again with https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=193025.0

And suggest, Litecoin or Bitcoin? (As base)

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 04:35:19 PM

Probably the most useful base really would be a repo that is just bitcoin with the merged mining patches applied.

Because without merged mining you are only going to be able to be mined by miners who abandon other opportunities to mine your coin.

That might, if you are lucky, lead to you getting into the chain-hopping miners' cycles of hopping, if you can pump your coin enough to make them even see it occassionally at times of low difficulty (and thus low security, high chance of attacks succeeding and so on) as possibly worth hopping to briefly as part of their hopping cycle.

Whereas if you base it on bitcoin-plus-merged-mining, miners can mine your coin all day every day with all their hashing power without abandoning bitcoin and namecoin and devcoin and groupcoin and i0coin and ixcoin and coiledcoin and geistgeld and any other coins that chose the merged-mining approach.

Thus your coin would be purely a gain to miners, a new extra coin they can earn while still earning all the coins they already earn.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
akabmikua (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:38:09 PM

Probably the most useful base really would be a repo that is just bitcoin with the merged mining patches applied.

Because without merged mining you are only going to be able to be mined by miners who abandon other opportunities to mine your coin.

That might, if you are lucky, lead to you getting into the chain-hopping miner's cycles of hopping, if you can pump your coin enough to make them even see it occassionally at times of low difficulty (and thus low security, high chance of attacks succeeding and so on) as possibly worth hopping to briefly as part of their hopping cycle.

Whereas if you base it on bitcoin-plus-merged-mining, miners can mine your coin all day every day with all their hashing power without abandoning bitcoin and namecoin and devcoin and groupcoin and i0coin and ixcoin and coiledcoin and geistgeld and any other coins that chose the merged-mining approach.

-MarkM-

This is pretty interesting, will surely have something in merged mining.

ZoolooMaster

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:38:26 PM

Making it easier for people to create alt-coins is just going to increase the likelihood of scammers flooding these forums with virus, keylogger, etc. infested software masquerading as the new revolutionary altcoin that might make 1-2 people rich, will get the trolls in a frenzy and generally annoy everybody else. If you are, on the other hand both intelligent and dedicated (prerequisites for creating some quality and useful software) then you don't need that kind of assistance.
akabmikua (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:50:17 PM

Making it easier for people to create alt-coins is just going to increase the likelihood of scammers flooding these forums with virus, keylogger, etc. infested software masquerading as the new revolutionary altcoin that might make 1-2 people rich, will get the trolls in a frenzy and generally annoy everybody else. If you are, on the other hand both intelligent and dedicated (prerequisites for creating some quality and useful software) then you don't need that kind of assistance.

Okay, will not create a guide!

Will also try not to make this thread more of a guide!

But please help me into this!!

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 05:00:04 PM

A good start would be to apply the merged-mining patches to a clone of bitcoin.

Once you have the patches applied, all merged mined coins will be able to be updated from that same repo.

Then you can diff each of them against the repo to see what exact changes each coin has that makes it different.

Then you can pick whichever one has changes closest to what you want yours to have, and change it into yours.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:47:34 PM

That might, if you are lucky, lead to you getting into the chain-hopping miners' cycles of hopping, if you can pump your coin enough to make them even see it occassionally at times of low difficulty (and thus low security, high chance of attacks succeeding and so on) as possibly worth hopping to briefly as part of their hopping cycle.

Thus your coin would be purely a gain to miners, a new extra coin they can earn while still earning all the coins they already earn.

-MarkM-

Can a coin start out as being mined initially and then transition to its own block chain/proof of work after a number of blocks have been created?
Hydroponica

Activity: 182

fml

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 03:52:05 PM

I obviously read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175891.0 which most of the people are giving as an option to read.

Anything else? It is informative but still not as good as I want.

Will try the whole thing again with https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=193025.0

And suggest, Litecoin or Bitcoin? (As base)

You are better off making a Scrypt coin, if you haven't noticed, SHA coins are ruled by ASICS, and, despite what people try to tell you, ASIC's have driven up EVERY SHA coin's diff to retarded levels.
To chose a source code, find a coin that already closely resembles the stats you wish your coin to have, and modify it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: