Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:47:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of BANCOR ICO(One of the biggest shills ever)  (Read 8175 times)
AmarO (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 12:55:37 PM

https://medium.com/@LedByReason/what-could-the-bat-token-sale-have-raised-and-what-can-we-infer-about-the-upcoming-bancor-token-eed6f593d86c

^ great read

I swear it wasn't me who wrote it lol

Guys we cannot support a project like this... They don't even have a legit resume BAT guy as least was the creator of javascript which is no small task also even they only took 30m or as you can see they could have shilled 100s of millions. Bancor ICO makes no sense, there are better ways to set up an ICO vs Whales than this.
jakev

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 01:04:00 PM

Regarding the liquidity issue, all backing the coin does is set a floor for the coin, like insurance if it fails. That's not too difficult to do for a dev. That is the main focus... it being backed by the reserve token.

Algorithmic price discovery and removing the need for a double coincidence of wants is the main focus. If you feel capable of bringing something more useful to the table, by all means, build it.

honestly most coins would much rather use ETH or BTC.

How can you know this when you haven't seen the stability and economics of how BNT functions? The purpose of BNT is to create a connective mesh between currencies created on the platform that operates in an economic ecosystem that can operate almost independantly of any other. Tapping into BTC or ETH markets as a reserve is a totally different proposition, which yes- some might prefer.

So how about instead of your guys 250m project, a dev just forks Minereum and adds the ability to back it with ETH/BTC to solve the liquidity issue? I like BANCOR don't get me wrong, however the sum of money they're asking for is extremely unreasonable for the work they're doing.

You are pulling the 250m number out of thin air. If a dev wants to fork Minereum and add similar functionality, they are welcome to do so! The Bancor team has a pretty epic plan and the backing of a pretty amazing group of people to execute. We need lots of great economic engines in this new economic paradigm.

USE OF PROCEEDS

40% to Software Development aka your pockets
5% Misc and Unexpected aka your pockets
5% Legal expenses aka your pockets
8% Operation Expenses aka your pockets

20% BANCOR ETH RESERVE LOL! wow........

Are you fucking kidding me? Massive cap and 40% goes straight to your pockets for developing! The rest to the other people who work with you guys, that's 58%. Don't try to bullshit me and the people.

You guys are trying to become millionaires right off the bat taking 50% of the ICO money, setting an unlimited cap, doing massive marketing and hoping people blindly pour money into it. What a marketing scheme clap clap clap clap clap. The Scooby Doo part does fit for you guys.

A token launch is equivalent to what in traditional funding would represent A,B,C,D, IPO rounds. Sometimes companies raise billions through this route. So for the entire life, hopefully a very long time, of a project that will grow and expand, it is not unreasonable to ask for certain amounts of capital if it is going to be allocated appropriately.

Saying "aka your pockets" is shortsighted IMO. Have you ever paid or seen legal bills for a large corporation over the course of many years? This team has run multiple startups and raised a lot of money in the past and know the cost of real world things at a large scale.

There are solutions for Whales buying out ICOs if you really want to implement it, honestly your ICO setup is 100x worse than one that ends in 10 seconds due to Whales. This is a pure dev shill scheme.

The point of crowdfunding is to get how much you need for the project, that happens with a set amount, then the devs keep coins for themselves as well and depending on how successful the project is both the investors and devs are successful. It's not abusing the system by putting a ridiculous cap to become millionaires overnight and if your project works out or not who cares you're set. Devs should not be shilling crowdfunding like this.

The team appreciates your perspective and the attention you've given to the project. It is unfortunate that we can't make everyone happy. Some prefer capped. Some prefer uncapped. Bancor is striving to create a happy medium where everyone can participate in the fairest possible solution.

https://medium.com/@LedByReason/what-could-the-bat-token-sale-have-raised-and-what-can-we-infer-about-the-upcoming-bancor-token-eed6f593d86c

^ great read

Guys we cannot support a project like this... They don't even have a legit resume BAT guy as least was the creator of javascript which is no small task also even they only took 30m or as you can see they could have shilled 100s of millions. Bancor ICO makes no sense, there are better ways to set up an ICO vs Whales than this.

Eyal has a great response to this Medium post in the comments.

Shahrul09

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 01:05:10 PM

It clearly seems like a scam

The crazy part is they had this "hidden cap" scheme set up where after 80% it would show, I believe the 250m cap got leaked in their slack and it's too late now they've revealed themselves even if they try and change it. You imagine if this figure didn't get out how much money they could have picked up as people would think it hasn't gotten much funding yet? I think you can track the address they use though so people would've started making noise like wtf is going on that's probably why they released it. Unbelievable.
The fucking 250m is a security cap which already in the contract and they already mention in their blog.
A hidden cap is a totally different thing that by the name you can tell. Its hidden. But totally not 250m

Do you even think they can raise 1 m eth in 1 hour. At least read the the blog and whitepaper by yourself and dont listen to the fud/slendering from others
DrMsEr

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 01:07:35 PM

i m sure this project is a scam.
kriptotr

Activity: 249
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 01:08:05 PM

i never saw this project before. is there any ann topic of them presented offically?
Shahrul09

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 01:10:40 PM

i never saw this project before. is there any ann topic of them presented offically?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1789222.0
https://bancor.network/
gomei

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:01:31 PM

I am planning to invest in bancor once I get some ETH. I am having trouble finding ETH. I don't think it is a scam.

I don't think Bancor is a scam and I will buy some tokens. However, I will keep an eye on the ICO progress and see if big whales are involved.

.Ambit.    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
   Become part of the mining family   
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
AmarO (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:30:49 PM

Regarding the liquidity issue, all backing the coin does is set a floor for the coin, like insurance if it fails. That's not too difficult to do for a dev. That is the main focus... it being backed by the reserve token.

Algorithmic price discovery and removing the need for a double coincidence of wants is the main focus. If you feel capable of bringing something more useful to the table, by all means, build it.

honestly most coins would much rather use ETH or BTC.

How can you know this when you haven't seen the stability and economics of how BNT functions? The purpose of BNT is to create a connective mesh between currencies created on the platform that operates in an economic ecosystem that can operate almost independantly of any other. Tapping into BTC or ETH markets as a reserve is a totally different proposition, which yes- some might prefer.

So how about instead of your guys 250m project, a dev just forks Minereum and adds the ability to back it with ETH/BTC to solve the liquidity issue? I like BANCOR don't get me wrong, however the sum of money they're asking for is extremely unreasonable for the work they're doing.

You are pulling the 250m number out of thin air. If a dev wants to fork Minereum and add similar functionality, they are welcome to do so! The Bancor team has a pretty epic plan and the backing of a pretty amazing group of people to execute. We need lots of great economic engines in this new economic paradigm.

USE OF PROCEEDS

40% to Software Development aka your pockets
5% Misc and Unexpected aka your pockets
5% Legal expenses aka your pockets
8% Operation Expenses aka your pockets

20% BANCOR ETH RESERVE LOL! wow........

Are you fucking kidding me? Massive cap and 40% goes straight to your pockets for developing! The rest to the other people who work with you guys, that's 58%. Don't try to bullshit me and the people.

You guys are trying to become millionaires right off the bat taking 50% of the ICO money, setting an unlimited cap, doing massive marketing and hoping people blindly pour money into it. What a marketing scheme clap clap clap clap clap. The Scooby Doo part does fit for you guys.

A token launch is equivalent to what in traditional funding would represent A,B,C,D, IPO rounds. Sometimes companies raise billions through this route. So for the entire life, hopefully a very long time, of a project that will grow and expand, it is not unreasonable to ask for certain amounts of capital if it is going to be allocated appropriately.

Saying "aka your pockets" is shortsighted IMO. Have you ever paid or seen legal bills for a large corporation over the course of many years? This team has run multiple startups and raised a lot of money in the past and know the cost of real world things at a large scale.

There are solutions for Whales buying out ICOs if you really want to implement it, honestly your ICO setup is 100x worse than one that ends in 10 seconds due to Whales. This is a pure dev shill scheme.

The point of crowdfunding is to get how much you need for the project, that happens with a set amount, then the devs keep coins for themselves as well and depending on how successful the project is both the investors and devs are successful. It's not abusing the system by putting a ridiculous cap to become millionaires overnight and if your project works out or not who cares you're set. Devs should not be shilling crowdfunding like this.

The team appreciates your perspective and the attention you've given to the project. It is unfortunate that we can't make everyone happy. Some prefer capped. Some prefer uncapped. Bancor is striving to create a happy medium where everyone can participate in the fairest possible solution.

^ great read

Eyal has a great response to this Medium post in the comments.

Using technical jargon and way more words than necessary... Not surprised.

Chill no need to complicate it with the words you use just say what it is, you want people who create coins to use your coin in the backing vs more established coins. "Some might prefer" is false, actually all would prefer to use ETH/BTC over your coin.

"Double coincidence of wants" is just fancy words this guy used to say for finding buyer and seller, so backing the coin lets a person liquidate whenever they want.

The price discovery is cool I'll give you that. 260m(or whatever it is) is the max in the hour is that right? Then there is a hidden cap that is "hopefully" much much lower that will show when 80% is reached. 260m cap is just for the hour, if an hour is exceeded and the "hidden cap" is reached it'll be over.

I looked at the teams' resume it's really not impressive what start-ups has this team ran that have been successful? Please Stop It.......

CryptoMensch

Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2017, 04:13:02 PM

- It's an amazing idea and well done, a lot of attention to details
- I believe that if this was a scam they wouldn't put their names and faces out there (competitions, interviews, linkedin, fb, telegram)
- The goal it's too high but will reach it
- It's a massive project they are building an exchange (think about a bank) and to build that you need a lot of money as  reserve (collateral) and liquidity to convert people's currencies

BANCOR
Shahrul09

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:39:25 PM

This is just a fud thread. The whitepaper already been up since februsry. Only last minute now before ico start this kind of things pop up.
Either op mad because he cant flip because the ico uncapped for 1hour or he just trying to spread fud.
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 07:42:47 PM

I think people are being a bit close-minded about the token price. Eventually you'll be able to trade BNC for nearly ANY other token (from BTC to random altcoins) on their platform. IF (big IF) everything works they way they describe it, there won't be a reason to use exchanges anymore (unless you're really into Trend Analysis). If BNC was only being traded against a few pairs on a few exchanges, yeah I could see very little ROI from it. But since it'll be traded against almost every other coin out there, I think there's still a chance for massive returns.

Just invest what you can afford to lose and see where it goes. It's risk vs reward, as always.
n00b3rt

Activity: 559
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2017, 09:45:24 PM

Honestly, having gone through both the Bancor and openANX whitepapers, the latter seems to be created in a way that they actually want people to understand the product.

Bancor is simpler, yet they use convoluted language to appear smarter. Most people in tech know that people who deliberately confuse others are hiding something.

Honestly, I like the idea, and I also think devs deserve the profits more than people who invest in ICO-s and get a quick 1000% profit. I'll put some ETH in, but not as many as I initially expected since I'm just getting this scammy vibe...

vlad06

Activity: 537

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:42:05 PM

They are Jewish.....
AmarO (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 05:10:41 AM

My perspective has changed on BANCOR, I may support this project(probably not). My issue is the amount of money going to the dev team vs the project. ~50% of funds(ETH) from ICO is going to the dev team while 10% coin to founders, team members, advisors and early contributors, is an issue for me. It shows BANCOR does not have a big economic stake in the coin, they have barely any coin when it is split amongst all those people. You would want the project you support to have the devs have a bigger stake in the coin and less in the ICO funding. They should take less money from the funding and have a bigger coin stake, due to this I will most likely not support this project. However I feel their ICO set up is not too bad though the 1 hour hype and all that marketing hype is still shill. Due to the issues I'd still put it in the "Dev Shill Category"

In my opinion the best way to set up a project in todays' age so Whales don't buy it out and letting all participate is to set an unlimited cap over a month with proceeding less coin per round

EXAMPLE 1 ETH = 1000 BNT First Week, 1 ETH= 750 BNT Second Week, 1 ETH = 650 BNT Third Week, 1 BTH = 500 BNT Fourth Week
testerx

Activity: 608
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 12:16:08 PM

Wait, so Bancor is an ICO launching platform that lets any idiot launch their own ICO with zero technical knowledge or skill?  What a horrifying idea.
Lankster

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 01:10:47 PM

Wait, so Bancor is an ICO launching platform that lets any idiot launch their own ICO with zero technical knowledge or skill?  What a horrifying idea.
Only horrifying if you let yourself fall prey to idiots lol
xtyling

Activity: 588

Crypto is Life!

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 02:28:45 PM

Horrifying ? Lol

Then is ethereum reserved for solidity developers who knows how to code only ? Think about what ethereum is really trying to create!
styca

Activity: 1078
Merit: 354

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:08:50 PM

I think that Bancor looks good, and I'd like to invest, but I have concerns about the ICO and the uncapped hour.

Look at what happened with BAT - huge buy-in at the ICO, completed in 24 seconds.

What's happened since then? BAT was immediately a top 20 coin, but predictably has been dropping away steadily. Now at number 29, and still falling.

So when is the best time to buy? In a crazy ICO (and it will be crazy), that could instantly turn Bancor into a top 10 coin... or wait and see what happens?

I was planning to get in at the ICO, but recently I've changed my mind. I'm going to sit it out and take the gamble on getting in later if the price falls away.

Still think the project looks good though.
SonnetStar

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:18:49 PM

I think that Bancor looks good, and I'd like to invest, but I have concerns about the ICO and the uncapped hour.

Look at what happened with BAT - huge buy-in at the ICO, completed in 24 seconds.

What's happened since then? BAT was immediately a top 20 coin, but predictably has been dropping away steadily. Now at number 29, and still falling.

So when is the best time to buy? In a crazy ICO (and it will be crazy), that could instantly turn Bancor into a top 10 coin... or wait and see what happens?

I was planning to get in at the ICO, but recently I've changed my mind. I'm going to sit it out and take the gamble on getting in later if the price falls away.

Still think the project looks good though.

Ur right I bought BAT like a chump at 11k satoshi right after it hit the open market and now its less than half the price
Blackout1321

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 07:20:11 PM

Ride the waves.

Learn from dotcom. Scam or not.

It does not matter. All that matters is you jump ship before everybody else.

This is the most accurate statement made on this post.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: