Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:58:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charting ETH vs ZEC Mining Profitability  (Read 631 times)
whfct (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 11:22:31 PM

Over the last month, daily mining profitability for ETH has more often than not exceeded ZEC. This has been a function of the rise in the price of ETH and a significant increase in ZEC mining difficulty (which far exceeded the relative increase in ETH difficulty). It is now more profitable to mine ETH and buy ZEC, than to mine directly.

Which does beg the question: Why has the ZEC network hashrate remained so high? I would have expected an equilibrium of sorts between ZEC and ETH profitability.

Chart below for the equivalent of three GTX 1070 cards: 90 MH Ethash and 1.2 KSol Equihash.

https://i.imgur.com/9XTDvRR.png
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 11:40:06 PM

Because there are a million or so old GPUs like the Radeon 7970/280X which people bought and kept during the Litecoin mining days. That card performs very well only with ZEC and cannot mine ETH properly due to DAG memory limitations.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
whfct (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:46:31 PM

Because there are a million or so old GPUs like the Radeon 7970/280X which people bought and kept during the Litecoin mining days. That card performs very well only with ZEC and cannot mine ETH properly due to DAG memory limitations.

That's interesting. I hadn't realized that.
Walrusbonzo

Activity: 682
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:15:53 PM

7950/7970/280x have enough memory to mine ETH. So it's not that.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:22:26 PM

Yes it is. Its not the memory capacity but the GCN limitation due to thrashing.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Ossidalm

Activity: 60

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 06:32:34 PM

Yes it is. Its not the memory capacity but the GCN limitation due to thrashing.

that is right. So the 280x is slower now as the dag file is bigger.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: