Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:46:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum Wallet - Can I receive while offline?  (Read 534 times)
ranman09 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:27:38 AM

Hi I have this question regard electrum wallet. I created a receive bitcoin address and used it to a faucet that automatically sends payment every week. Do I need to make my wallet online for this payment to process? (or for my wallet address to be used by the faucet)  or I can go online some other day and I will still receive this payment? Thank in advance.

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:55:45 AM

funds are not moved to your computer. they are on the blockchain.

electrum is just the tool to view and communicate with the blockchain. but you dont need to be permanently connected to 'accept' payment.

the network accepts the payment by confirming transactions into blocks. the blockchain is not in one place, never shuts down it is 24/7 network..
you can view your funds on any blockchain viewer (node/explorer) but only move funds if you provide your private key

your private key is your proof that you have the authority to move funds... all you need to worry about is having the private key to that public address to prove that you are the one thats allowed to spend it, whenever you want to spend it at a later date

wording it another way(fiat analogy)

telling your employers your bank details that are wrote on your debit card. does not mean you can only get paid by having to have your debit card permanently inserted into an ATM. or by having a sleeping bag and sleeping inside the local bank. or by having to log into your online bank and stay logged in

you can get paid whenever.. by whomever and however much they want to pay you..

your private key is like your ATM pin number. dont tell anyone it. but you will need it when its time to spend the funds

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ranman09 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:34:17 AM

funds are not moved to your computer. they are on the blockchain.

electrum is just the tool to view and communicate with the blockchain. but you dont need to be permanently connected to 'accept' payment.

the network accepts the payment by confirming transactions into blocks. the blockchain is not in one place, never shuts down it is 24/7 network..
you can view your funds on any blockchain viewer (node/explorer) but only move funds if you provide your private key

your private key is your proof that you have the authority to move funds... all you need to worry about is having the private key to that public address to prove that you are the one thats allowed to spend it, whenever you want to spend it at a later date

wording it another way(fiat analogy)

telling your employers your bank details that are wrote on your debit card. does not mean you can only get paid by having to have your debit card permanently inserted into an ATM. or by having a sleeping bag and sleeping inside the local bank. or by having to log into your online bank and stay logged in

you can get paid whenever.. by whomever and however much they want to pay you..

your private key is like your ATM pin number. dont tell anyone it. but you will need it when its time to spend the funds

Wow thats just the answer I was wanting! thanks! Most reply here are to not beginner friendly I must say haha. Anyway thank you very much for this good explanation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: