Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:44:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brownouts started to show in summer  (Read 487 times)
RentGPU (OP)

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 07:37:59 PM

It's summer now and in my country we have a bad electrical grid, so brownouts started to show from time to time , i want to protect my electronics i invested alot of money on it Smiley , so should i go with the voltage stablizer or UPS , i have a well separated mining machines 2 gpus each with power 600watt (good quality power) with over and under voltage protection , but i want to add another firewall in the power way ,so whats better for brownouts stablizers or ups?, i don't want to run my miners when power goes out , so stablizers will perform well?

2016 GPU Miner
mcturkey

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:24:38 PM

A UPS is generally going to provide the most reliable power, but you're going to need a pretty substantial one for each system, and don't expect it to give you more than a minute or two of run time at full load.  If you expand beyond 2 GPU/machine, you'll need to look at datacenter-grade UPS systems.
RentGPU (OP)

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 09:37:25 PM

A UPS is generally going to provide the most reliable power, but you're going to need a pretty substantial one for each system, and don't expect it to give you more than a minute or two of run time at full load.  If you expand beyond 2 GPU/machine, you'll need to look at datacenter-grade UPS systems.
A ups will be a big added cost , i am thinking that a ups is a stablizer with a battery so i don't need the backup power i just want to protect the machines when power goes and return aggressive voltage

2016 GPU Miner
TimeTeller

Activity: 2744
Merit: 588

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:19:18 PM

A ups will be a big added cost , i am thinking that a ups is a stablizer with a battery so i don't need the backup power i just want to protect the machines when power goes and return aggressive voltage

Yes, UPS is additional cost but will temporarily address your problem regarding blackouts.
For long-term investment, you might think of solar panel system & now you can say that this system will give you the most reliable power.
Bluto

Activity: 117
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:20:13 PM

really a UPS would be what you need. Not that big of an investment if you've equipment to protect!  Wink
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 11:14:54 PM

Since the best PS's, Corsair, EVGA etc etc have a spec'ed input voltage range of 100 to 240 VAC wouldn't you be ok as long as you are operating on the higher side, say a nominal voltage of around 200VAC?

This is the advantage of a modern switching power supply as opposed to ones that use an input transformer.
MA3A

Activity: 241
Merit: 100

To Hash or not to Hash, that's what the question

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2017, 04:34:57 AM

i agree UPS would be the best bet not only because of a battery but because of a separated circuitry from outer grid. If you cant afford it, then as an alternative you try finding adjustable transformer that also has a "breakout" between your load and a grid, but i bet it would not cost less than a UPS. Also, you can use UPS without battery and buy "bad" UPS with bad battery for a fraction of a price and use it as high grade filter (without offline capability)

https://www.facebook.com/Qubex-Denver-Data-Recovery-473541326020759/ - accepting coins as payment
www.qubexdatarecovery.info Professional data recovery service for PHYSICALLY DAMAGED (broken) DEVICES: RAID0/RAID5/HYBRID RAID/SSD/HDD/FLASH DRIVE/CELLPHONE/, ALL OS, up to LEVEL 4, ISO-10 Clean room/ISO-100 hoods, Pro tools and know-how.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: