Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:38:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now these are some serious and security minded people  (Read 3821 times)
Houdini (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:55:33 PM

Quote from https://britcoin.co.uk/ :
Due to the recent events at MTGox.com, we at Britcoin have decided to move our servers to a new location. MTGox suffered an SQL injection which means access to the site's funds were in the hands of the malicious hacker. As such, until we see evidence to the contrary, for security reasons we are assuming that MTGox has none of it's client's bitcoins. For this reason, we have withdrawn their access to our servers and the sensitive information on those servers.

While our servers were separate, we were purchasing server space from MagicalTux, the owner/operator of MTGox. We have already moved all our customer bitcoins to a wallet which has newly been created and has the highest measure of security possible. The GBP deposits of course are still safe in our business bank account as well.

We will put Britcoin up again as soon as possible, but only once we are confident we have the highest level of security our users deserve.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:58:09 PM

Yeah, I am glad to see that at least ONE bitcoin site has security on their minds!
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 09:00:33 PM

Quote from https://britcoin.co.uk/ :

We will put Britcoin up again as soon as possible, but only once we are confident we have the highest level of security our users deserve.

Good on them.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
angelo95

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:03:01 PM

Yes but it's easy now after the battle. They might gain a lot of bidders though now as Mtgox is dead.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:04:26 PM

Last time I checked the source code of them... they didn't use parametrized queries. I hope they do now, if security is so important for them.
Houdini (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:48:59 PM

There's one good thing to come out of this horrible mess (every cloud has a silver lining). Every other bitcoin exchange from now one will strive with all their might to secure their database, because not doing so means business failure (if Mt. Gox isn't killed by this, it will certainly have a huge decrease in revenues due to loss of customers).
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 09:51:56 PM

Yeah, I am glad to see that at least ONE bitcoin site has security on their minds!

They work with real money - not with worthless FED bills. Smiley

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:19:55 PM

"Last time I checked the source code of them... they didn't use parametrized queries. I hope they do now, if security is so important for them."

Security is not just in the code. Management's response to incidents is just as important. Mt. Gox has failed severely on this dimension.
"Really guys it's just one account, breached due to user error. All the other accounts are safe."
Rinse Repeat until the business fails.

Kudos to Britcoin.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:24:27 PM

I don't buy anyone claiming security. I haven't seen lulz FAIL at anything they put their mind to.

Be humble!
Houdini (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 11:18:49 PM

Someone else takes security seriously as well :
"TradeHill has recently learned that a large number of user accounts at a competing Bitcoin exchange have been compromised. Because of the possibility that our users may have used the same password on multiple exchanges, we will be halting the ability to trade or withdraw funds for a few hours. We hope this will give all of our users time to reset their passwords if needed. You can reset your password by clicking on your username in the upper right of the website. This merely a precaution, and we do not have any evidence that our site has been compromised in any way. More info soon."
It seems whatever happens (market bubble bursts, astronomic thefts, server database hacks) Bitcoin keeps rolling on like a steamroller, stopping for nothing (including the victims splattened on the way Smiley ).
unk

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:48:35 AM

a suggestion to the kind folks at britcoin:

once you are able, announce in advance a particular time that you will restart the exchange. announce also a time, at least several hours before that opening, at which customers will be able to log in and have an opportunity to add and delete orders. then, orders on the same side of the market at the same price when the exchange goes 'live' again should compete at random, not based on the time of entry.

this will help avoid a rush, normalize the market, and satisfy a variety of disparate interests.
ishav

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:01:47 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2013, 09:27:24 PM by ishav

"Last time I checked the source code of them... they didn't use parametrized queries. I hope they do now, if security is so important for them."

Security is not just in the code. Management's response to incidents is just as important. Mt. Gox has failed severely on this dimension.
"Really guys it's just one account, breached due to user error. All the other accounts are safe."
Rinse Repeat until the business fails.

Kudos to Britcoin.

And how do you know that they was aware of their database breach when they wrote that?.
saqwe

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:23:48 AM

a suggestion to the kind folks at britcoin:

once you are able, announce in advance a particular time that you will restart the exchange. announce also a time, at least several hours before that opening, at which customers will be able to log in and have an opportunity to add and delete orders. then, orders on the same side of the market at the same price when the exchange goes 'live' again should compete at random, not based on the time of entry.

this will help avoid a rush, normalize the market, and satisfy a variety of disparate interests.

+1
onesalt

Activity: 756

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:25:16 AM

They work with real money - not with worthless FED bills. Smiley

which is wierd becuase I don't recall one main street bank losing all their money and customer records to a simple sql injection attack...
Batouzo

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:26:37 AM

Security is not just in the code. Management's response to incidents is just as important

Are you shitting us?

Secure == code_security AND response_teams,
not "OR".

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:29:44 AM

Of course they didn't know.  Point is that they shouldn't have made optimistic assumptions.  I posted yesterday that it was negligent of them not to have taken the site offline when the cross-site forgery exploit was discovered. I have much less information and expertise than they do, but it still seemed negligent to me.

They should have assumed the worst when the rate of reports of hacked accounts on the forums spiked dramatically in the last few days. If you wait for proof that you've been had it is too late by definition.
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:34:46 AM

Are you shitting us?

not "OR".

Why do you ask "Are you shitting us?" and then repeat my statement. ADHD?
unk

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:37:04 AM

i'm forced to concur with cunicula about negligence. these aren't novel or clever problems to be having, and not responding to them instantaneously is very shoddy security practice. savvy users should demand no less, which is one reason i never set up a mt. gox account.

i've said it many times, but the community is overall exceedingly complacent when it comes to security, which is surprising for supporters of a cryptocurrency.

various attacks on the bitcoin protocol itself are next, because they take a little more cleverness than exploiting the kind of obvious web-based vulnerabilities that plague poorly written websites. nonetheless, i'm fairly sure that most people reading my last sentence are still thinking 'there are no such attacks because bitcoin is peer-to-peer. go away, you troll'.
Batouzo

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:40:05 AM

Are you shitting us?

not "OR".

Why do you ask "Are you shitting us?" and then repeat my statement. ADHD?

Your statement looked like if you said it otherwise.
Like if you said "... but don't worry about the bad code, the RESPONSE is what matters"

Never mind then Smiley

NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:46:44 AM

It seems whatever happens (market bubble bursts, astronomic thefts, server database hacks) Bitcoin keeps rolling on like a steamroller, stopping for nothing (including the victims splattened on the way Smiley ).

Yeh right, keep on smoking it brah. Fall out is on the way.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: