Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:47:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Israel accuses Syria of act of war... demand for bitcoin to rise?  (Read 1953 times)
DavidBAL (OP)

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

Always riding the Bull...

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 05:52:02 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2013, 06:18:46 PM by DavidBAL

http://www.zerohedge.com/node/473605

Evidently Israeli jet was shot down while bombing an Iranian missile site in Syria. Israel responded by bombing the shit out of Damascus. All out conflict (if you dont consider it this already) could be within the next day or two. This is going to cause crazy capital controls and a total implosion of the remaining banking infrastructure in Syria. Will this cause syrians to flee to the anonymity, statelessness, and relative  stability (I use that term lightly) of btc? If only a few wealthy status quo individuals wanted to hedge the political risk to their fortunes, they could easily just park a few million in btc. Does anyone know how easy it is to purchase btc there?

EDIT: Found this, from sourgeforce "The specific list of sanctions that affect our users concern the transfer and export of certain technology to foreign persons and governments on the sanctions list. This means users residing in countries on the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanction list, including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria, may not post content to, or access content available through, SourceForge.net. Last week, SourceForge.net began automatic blocking of certain IP addresses to enforce those conditions of use."

I am an investor, entrepreneur, and CEO @BTC Inc http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-bailey/22/641/b53 ...
Bitrated user: davidbtcmedia.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
itsgoldbaby

Activity: 157

Hello!

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:53:58 PM

So Israel was bombing Syria, and then the jet gets shot down. This is apparently an act of war, nevermind that they are bombing these people? I must be reading something wrong...
DavidBAL (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 06:01:06 PM

So Israel was bombing Syria, and then the jet gets shot down. This is apparently an act of war, nevermind that they are bombing these people? I must be reading something wrong...

Yea I don't care much for the politics over there, but people are people and in times of crisis they all need similar things.

I am an investor, entrepreneur, and CEO @BTC Inc http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-bailey/22/641/b53 ...
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:05:47 PM

Do you know what has been happening in Syria for the past 2+ years?
DavidBAL (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 06:06:44 PM

Do you know what has been happening in Syria for the past 2+ years?

Yea but a War with Israel is different, thats the end game. It's like when NATO got involved in Libya.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:07:53 PM

No. This topic is ridiculous. These topics are getting so fucking ridiculous.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:09:27 PM

Syria is a bit like Libya

If Israel attack Syria then the Assad regime will finally collapse.

underground_

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:09:53 PM

They'll only get worse as we slide downwards.
DavidBAL (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 06:10:29 PM

You don't think there is a correlation between global instability and btc? There is with gold, and I personally see btc as gold on steroids..

Gabi
Legendary

Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:12:49 PM

A collapse of the syrian regime is not "instability" in my opinion. Actually it can mean moar people able to use bitcoin

ironstove

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Possibilities are limitless

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:22:57 PM

Wtf?HuhHuhHuh
gizmoh
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:29:07 PM

Bulls' FUD topic..

How Ripple Rips you: "The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued.[29] Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion"
mmitech
Legendary

Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:07:06 PM

and you really care about BTC price over peoples Blood!!!! what people have become to, I am so offended and disappointed right now that I can not even describe the feeling.

so you  hope that this will help BTC price to go up, if yes than i think you wish that the world will burn to have your moment and your little profit over human lives, if you think the price will go down because if it so you will sell your BTC to not make any loses, this is all what you care about right !!

forget about BTC price and look at it as a serious issue , I just wish that the killing will stop already, I was watching what is happening in Syria and what was happening in Lybia and Tunisia and between Israel and Palestine. I just can't follow any more it is sad that this just continue with all the world watching and no one cares.
Awhut

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:10:20 PM

and you really care about BTC price over peoples Blood!!!! what people have become to, I am so offended and disappointed right now that I can not even describe the feeling.

so you  hope that this will help BTC price to go up, if yes than i think you wish that the world will burn to have your moment and your little profit over human lives, if you think the price will go down because if it so you will sell your BTC to not make any loses, this is all what you care about right !!

forget about BTC price and look at it as a serious issue , I just wish that the killing will stop already, I was watching what is happening in Syria and what was happening in Lybia and Tunisia and between Israel and Palestine. I just can't follow any more it is sad that this just continue with all the world watching and no one cares.

What are we supposed to do about the situation in Syria as individuals? Speculating on how the movements of governments will affect bitcoin hurts nothing and makes us better traders. Make some $ on BTC and maybe you can buy some real change with it.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:12:34 PM

Is there a robust exchange available to Syrians, locally? If not, I don't see any significant cashflow into Bitcoin there. See what happened in Cyprus - once your funds are held, it's too late to transfer them anywhere.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:15:01 PM

This topic is just so weird.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:24:35 PM

Yup ... ifs fucked up

People dying ... quick, lets see if we can profit from it. Is that really who you want to be and how you want to get rich ?
Fine ... if the suit fits, wear it. Does not fit me though ...

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:26:20 PM

Yup ... ifs fucked up

People dying ... quick, lets see if we can profit from it. Is that really who you want to be and how you want to get rich ?
Fine ... if the suit fits, wear it. Does not fit me though ...

it's worse because the only place where these kinds of events affect the bitcoin price in any predictable way is the same place where the Cypriots fueled the latest bubble -- in the delusional minds of irrational bulls.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Arcas

Activity: 1036
Merit: 524

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:24:47 AM

Is this going to be another Cyprus, where the actual event causes like a .5% spike, where the speculation predicting it causes a 100% spike?
hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:01:19 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 03:28:51 AM by hlynur

seriously what kind of thread is this?
If you use your brain for some minutes just realize that syria is in a civil war for 2 1/2 years.
Assad loosing more and more control, hisbollah miliz coming from lebanon to help him out (which is why israel is getting involved).
On the other side western governments play hard to get too much involved directly because they don't want to get burned like in iraq or afghanistan
and muslim extremists begin to get more and more influence by supporting local population and freedom fighters.

This country will be destroyed for the next 5-10 years and will perhaps slip into a political system ruled by islamic law like in iran.
Ever thought of iranians buying bitcoins?

On top there is no digital infrastructure comparable to western countries to back up any use of bitcoin right now.
How can you come up with the idea that conflicts like this have any relation to btc whatsoever?
Stick to potential markets like china. BTC can just get roots in countries with a modern infrastructure, tech-savvy population and a wide educated social class with decent wealth to spend.
Syria is far from that in its actual state and in no term comparable to cyprus (where everything was about financial crisis and an extremly blown up banking sector for such a small country)

sometimes i think people can't emphatize what a war actually means for a country.
Syrians are more concerned about having food for the next day and how they can protect their family or flee to another country instead of thinking how to buy bitcoin.
absolutely naive 1st world thought process imo.

edit: only influence i see is perhaps if the conflict backfires over israelian border. Israel is a much more developed country with a big class that could think about bitcoin investments during wartimes
(though i highly doubt this would happen. during wartime goods are much more important than some cryptocurrency which is useless if there's no constant power supply to fuel digital networks).
And there are still many other ways to move money than with bitcoin. And bigshots in countries like syria (with small rich elite classes) probably have already parked their money on bank accounts in some tax havens, and I hope these fuckers stay out of bitcoin because it's exactly these guys who are the problem in the first place.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: